Windows7.Seems Microsoft have thrown a spanner in the works?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
the girl next door

Windows7.Seems Microsoft have thrown a spanner in the works?

Post by the girl next door » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:36 pm

A mate who has no money as hes unemployed, has just installed windows 7 legit (Cause i lent it to him for install, i'm kind like that 8) ) then he installed some cracked VSTs as he can't afford the real thing a few of the VSTs don't work but worked for him as he had Vista :x installed, now he's well fucked off :lol: . Have Microsoft thrown some kind of code or something into Win7 that detects those kind of things?

Gab

Re: Windows7.Seems Microsoft have thrown a spanner in the works?

Post by Gab » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:40 pm

I can't see how they could have done that.

Has he tried to install legit VSTs — demo versions of the ones he wants to use, if there are any available?
'If they act too hip, you know they can’t play shit.'

shatzer

Post by shatzer » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:00 pm

I seriously doubt it. Probably just incompatible with Win 7.

the girl next door

Post by the girl next door » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:10 pm

He told me that most wouldnt except the serial numbers 8O Fuck knows?
Tis abit strange.
i think Plugsounds and Atmosphere and Trilogy amongst others. He had um working in Vista.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:36 pm

Tell your mate to get Reaper. That's free to demo (and about 35-40 quid for a non commercial license with no nag screen) and comes with a bunch of plugins, some of them are pretty good. Then get any free plugins by Kjaerhus (Classic), Jeroen Breebart (Ferox, PC2 compressor, reverb etc), Bootsy's free plugins, Audio Damage's free roughrider plugin and voxengo's free plugins such as the multitap delay, boogex, SPAN spectral analyser etc. Then he can either buy Computer Music for a fiver or maybe you can give him a DVD with their plugins such as Zebra CM, PSP Spring reverb etc and for next to nothing he can be running a freaking great sounding DAW system without crashing his system with illegal warez.

If you run cracks, there's always a significant chance they will either not work, or bring down an o/s due to bad coding or malware coding and require system reinstalls.

Also if your mate is really that broke, he should stick with his previous o/s or get Linux. This avoids a great deal of pissing about and tech problems.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

the girl next door

Post by the girl next door » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:44 pm

Nice one, Cheers i will give him a heads up. Broke isn't the word you only get 60 pounds weekly Job seekers allowance in the UK, strange tho hes always got a beer in his hand LOL :lol:

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:05 pm

As someone who was recently laid off, and is up to my eyeballs in money troubles, trust me I know. I was fortunate to get my gear at a time when things were going well and before a bunch of unforeseen circumstances such as having structural damage to the house, my wife having to go on disability leave and take a 55% pay hit and then having a car accident and getting screwed over by the insurance company on the payout and having the rates get whacked up even though I wasn't technically at fault and having to take out a loan on a replacement car (the old one was fully paid up and only 6 years old) - life can throw you curveballs and suck ass sometimes.

I wasn't questioning the morality of running copied/warezed software, that's a personal decision, but just informing you that a lot can be done for very little, and there's a lot of free stuff which really punches above it's weight and sounds great. Peace :)
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:15 pm

you guys get money to look for a job over there?
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:24 pm

Yes, and it's better than then British system if you had been working a while and accrued a lot of credits, but it is time limited. I am on about 50% of my old salary, but if I don't get rehired or find a new job before the end of February (been out of work since the end of September) then I will be screwed - would have to apply for means tested welfare, which is next to nothing and food stamps. In the meantime, the bills don't stop and we are going to be in a proposal or bankruptcy, we already have that being worked out right now and hopefully we might not have to lose the house but it's too early to know....

the girl next door

Post by the girl next door » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:25 pm

nathannn wrote:you guys get money to look for a job over there?
Yeah, thats the norm ain't it? Thats one of the reasons for paying National insurance.

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:03 am

Windows 7 checks for cracks, won't install them, and reports IP address to the FBI.

the girl next door

Post by the girl next door » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:22 am

ethios4 wrote:Windows 7 checks for cracks, won't install them, and reports IP address to the FBI.
That must be a wind up

the girl next door

Post by the girl next door » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:17 am

He's confirming that alot of cracked VSTs are not working within Win 7.
They must have done someit :roll:

ScarKord

Post by ScarKord » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:24 am

I think it's more likely to be a permissions problem writing to the registry. Lot's of my plugins seemed to lose their authorisations after each reboot and kept requesting the serial numbers.

In the end, I worked out I had to run Ableton Live as an administrator, then after inputting the serial numbers (again!) it seemed to do the trick.
ScarKord - Electronic music, remix and sound design
http://www.scarkord.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/scarkord

the girl next door

Post by the girl next door » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:30 am

ScarKord wrote:Ableton Live as an administrator
that something to do with windows?