MIDI mapping Program Changes?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
brownbathrobe

MIDI mapping Program Changes?

Post by brownbathrobe » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:10 pm

Hi folks,
I've been trying to map some Ableton Live commands to my MIDI foot controller and I can't figure something out.
It works fine when I set my controller to send "note" messages but it won't work with "program change" messages.
Am I missing something obvious or can I not map commands to program changes?
Thanks in advance!

bosonHavoc

Re: MIDI mapping Program Changes?

Post by bosonHavoc » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:04 am

right.. you can not map program changes

julienb

Post by julienb » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:03 am

bosonHavoc wrote:right.. you can not map program changes
right & wrong!

with max for live version, you can send PC from a patch to any midi/device & channels
you can map it in a patch.
Julien Bayle
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

art + teaching/consulting
ableton certified trainer
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

n8sum

Post by n8sum » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:46 am

Another option is a program like Bome's midi translator. I have a foot switch that I use with Live that sends program message to solo, mute, and fire off clips.

brownbathrobe

Post by brownbathrobe » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:18 pm

Thanks a lot for the replies, guys. I'll happily stop banging my head against the wall trying to map program changes.
It sounds like I should map Live commands to keystrokes and then use a translator to convert my program change messages.
My foot controller is also capable of sending MIDI note messages, so I could map those straight into Live without having to use a translator.
Are there any advantages/disadvantages to using one method as opposed to the other?

julienb

Post by julienb » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:42 pm

brownbathrobe wrote:Thanks a lot for the replies, guys. I'll happily stop banging my head against the wall trying to map program changes.
It sounds like I should map Live commands to keystrokes and then use a translator to convert my program change messages.
My foot controller is also capable of sending MIDI note messages, so I could map those straight into Live without having to use a translator.
Are there any advantages/disadvantages to using one method as opposed to the other?
if you consider using max for live, it isn't a translator...
Julien Bayle

art + teaching/consulting
ableton certified trainer

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:40 am

Maybe I don't understand, something here. I map program changes on my ReMOTE like crazy.

Bomes works too, and M4L