Using Launchpad with Drum Racks in Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
gabaghoul

Using Launchpad with Drum Racks in Live

Post by gabaghoul » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:44 am

Anyone know how to setup the Launchpad to use with Drum Racks in Live like a PadKontrol would work? I would imagine this would be something to setup on either User1 or User2 but I have no idea how to change the midi notes on the Launchpad to align with the the Drum Rack. Any suggestions?

dapper

Re: Using Launchpad with Drum Racks in Live

Post by dapper » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:51 am

i learned though watching this video. good luck cadet!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jkvq_6Jg6UU

gabaghoul

Post by gabaghoul » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:23 pm

Yes I have done this already. It works pretty well except for the fact that the rack position indicator has no effect on the LP when scrolling as it does with any other midi controller like the PadKontrol or the Trigger finger. When the box is moved in Live the notes on the controller actually shift to align. It’s not really a big deal. I just thought that was pretty cool functionality.

I think my question was actually more centered around altering midi notes on the LP. Using an Impulse with the LP doesn’t really work all that well since you have no control of the midi notes being sent and since the Impulse is from C4-C5 (white keys only,) this becomes very awkward. If you could change the notes on the LP so that the Impulse would span a row, it would be awesome.

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:35 pm

Yes, it doesnt lend itself to well to Impulse mapping but for drum racks i think the easiest is to build your own drum rack placing the samples you want into the box at the correct location you want so that you 'mind map' your LP.

There is a programmers guide availabel now with all the midi info on the novation site, but i guess you woudl need Max, M4l or such like to be able to make use of it.

Although, clever use of 'scale' plug might solve your problem for the impulse issue...havent tried it, but just thinking out loud.

Regrind

Post by Regrind » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:24 am

That video and this thread just finally made use of my Launchpad. It's been sitting in its sleeve for the last two months as I mainly rely on Maschine to do any work. I'll be relying more on Launchpad now. Not a noob to production but midi still reminds me of raking the yard.
Since you fellas seem knowledgeable and it would probably be a headache and a half to Google, but is there anyway to assign multiple instruments to different "grids" on the Launchpad? Like Drum Rack on bottom right 4X4 and an Operator patch on the left 4X4? I was going to try that out but forgot to before powering down.
Still wearing my Ableton diaper but feel like Ableton is an awesome fit. Loving it more day by day.
Thanks for any reply!

J
https://soundcloud.com/mistergupton
I make beats on an old Huggies box.

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:39 am

Use User 1 create a empty instrument rack with each drum rack or instrument given it's own 16 note keyrange. Simple I reckon. Good idea for performance.. although I find I am not careful enough to use multiple pages in a live setting.