Annoyed by this stupid software

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
crumhorn

Re: Annoyed by this stupid software

Post by crumhorn » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:36 pm

I used to be totally frustrated with random crashes in Live. I got rid of Sample Tank and now it is solid as a rock.

YMMV
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:52 pm

I'm constantly amazed at how sure people are that it's the fault of one piece of software when there are so many variables that go into even the simplest digital audio setup, especially when they've done nothing to actually troubleshoot the problem.
Unsound Designer

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:13 pm

stringtapper wrote:I'm constantly amazed at how sure people are that it's the fault of one piece of software when there are so many variables that go into even the simplest digital audio setup, especially when they've done nothing to actually troubleshoot the problem.
because not everyone wants to accept that other hosts dealing fine with 3rd party plugs, even the X.0 releases and ableton is uber fussy about it.
and drivers...

i certainly can see that.

i am now on 8.0.8 all good for me, but before i had a lot of trouble... i did not changed anything!!! not a plug, driver, nothing... go figure.
and any other apps or releases of ableton, i jumped 7, was never as wonky as L8 in the beginning... i think a heavy rant is OK, it's not our business to fix things... it's internal tests. i am for example involved in a closed circle test of a different software (it's a huge number of testers and a fantastic bugtracker system they use) and nothing is going into release before not all of the testers are absolute satisfied... it did not felt like it happened when L8 came out.

and point is: in this occasion I MADE THE CHOICE to report and test and deal with bugs, but what you guys are all saying is a joke,
XY bedroom bedlam dude that purchases LIve now does not want to be turned into a beta tester... after X0.3 or 4... (actually not even X.0, for that matter)

i just sympathise, and i am also aware of the fact that reports are important for ableton to move on and improve...

but maybe they really should think over there closed beta circles and the quality of the tests a bit more... next time.

my2cents

p.s. i mean be honest it was that bad, that they had even problems with 3rd party plugs from a company they develop hand in hand together with...!!!

it's solved now, though... but hey it's already 8.1

EDIT: what's the problem with rants anyway...? if you think it's stupid to do,
well fair enough but then be so intelligent to simply totally ignore it as well.
Last edited by SubFunk on Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*** Image GAFM ***

papatonk

Post by papatonk » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:18 pm

Is this the same gerard who used to terrorize the mike dolbear forum before he was banned? Cockhead... :|

Alsamarkan

Post by Alsamarkan » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:31 pm

?
!
I7 920/6 GB RAM/WIN7/RME 9632/UAD-1/Trigger Finger/APC40/MPK25/Nanokey/Shuttle Pro V2/Live 8 Suite/BFD2 (XFL,8BitKit) Kitcore/Trilian/Omnisphere/FM8/GuitarRig 4/RealGuitar 2/Reflections LE/Waves Vocal Rider/Fabfilter Bundle/SPL Analog Code Bundle 1

TRS80

Post by TRS80 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:07 pm

I had some confusion / issues regarding the Latin Percussion stuff.

I emailed Ableton support and they helped me out.

It's the nature of the beast that we have problems with computers and software; I was happy with the tech support and particularly with feedback from this forum.

Problem solving computer systems can be frustrating, but a little patience and a level head pays off.
Ableton Suite 8.2.2 suite; OS 10.6.7

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:15 pm

Should have got a PC jez.

:lol:

Imaulle

Post by Imaulle » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:59 pm

leedsquietman wrote:and not all of these people are inept noobs with no clue.

sorry but that's wrong. so many people think they know what they are doing, but they really don't...

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:07 pm

SubFunk wrote:EDIT: what's the problem with rants anyway...? if you think it's stupid to do,
well fair enough but then be so intelligent to simply totally ignore it as well.
You talking to me? I never said anything about rants being "stupid." Show me where I said that. or is this another language thing? Auf Deutsch bitte?
Unsound Designer

gerard

Post by gerard » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:08 pm

I don't feel like replying to everybody's input. I also didn't want nor expect as much interest in this thread.
I know that Live's fine for many people, it's also been for me sometimes. Just to sum up randomly 8.03 is a catastrophy, 8.04 is a bit better, 8.05 is worse, ..., 8.09 was quite fine I felt relieved and now 8.1 caused this anger outburst in me.
Thank you but my drivers are all up to date, my computer is clean of virus' and has enough performance and as a matter of fact I've seen the evolution of Live since version 5. I know how fast and responsive it used to be and how lamentable it is today.

No I didn't send anything to tech support or whoever as I don't have nor time nor lust for geek talk. My plug-ins are paid for and legit. I invested over a grand in Ableton-Akai products over the years. I'm no electro-musicien. I use Live in a rather simple way to record mostly rock and metal with some keyboards. I'm also used to the fact that if I pay for a guitar that costs me as much money I will have a product that works, meaning it does what it is supposed to be. And if it breaks due to an error I get a replacement, not a fix to a fix to a fix.

Yeah this analogy sucks, but so does Live. At least people considering buying this should know that not everything's so perfect here.
MBP 2,5ghz
Live8
Maschine - AK1

http://www.myspace.com/milestoperdition

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:16 pm

gerard wrote:No I didn't send anything to tech support or whoever as I don't have nor time nor lust for geek talk.
Then why the hell are you using software if you don't want to talk about it? Frankly you sound way too sure of yourself for me to be convinced that you really know how to troubleshoot your setup.

It's always the people who get pissed off at things going wrong with software and claim they know what the problem is (Live) who refuse to even engage in real troubleshooting and work with tech support.
Unsound Designer

adventurepants_

Post by adventurepants_ » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:39 pm

gerard wrote:I don't feel like replying to everybody's input. I also didn't want nor expect as much interest in this thread.
I know that Live's fine for many people, it's also been for me sometimes. Just to sum up randomly 8.03 is a catastrophy, 8.04 is a bit better, 8.05 is worse, ..., 8.09 was quite fine I felt relieved and now 8.1 caused this anger outburst in me.
Thank you but my drivers are all up to date, my computer is clean of virus' and has enough performance and as a matter of fact I've seen the evolution of Live since version 5. I know how fast and responsive it used to be and how lamentable it is today.

No I didn't send anything to tech support or whoever as I don't have nor time nor lust for geek talk. My plug-ins are paid for and legit. I invested over a grand in Ableton-Akai products over the years. I'm no electro-musicien. I use Live in a rather simple way to record mostly rock and metal with some keyboards. I'm also used to the fact that if I pay for a guitar that costs me as much money I will have a product that works, meaning it does what it is supposed to be. And if it breaks due to an error I get a replacement, not a fix to a fix to a fix.

Yeah this analogy sucks, but so does Live. At least people considering buying this should know that not everything's so perfect here.

Youve admitted youre not a tech expert. Ableton support are experts in the use of Live, and could suggest a million things you would never think of, but instead of trying to work through this problem with them you just complain.

This may not be what you intend but your post makes you sound like a pouting 12 year old emo.

If you had fret sprout on your guitar, would you re fret the neck yourself, or would you take it to an expert?
nathannn wrote:i will block everyone on this forum if i have to.

gerard

Post by gerard » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:04 am

adventurepants_ wrote:
Youve admitted youre not a tech expert. Ableton support are experts in the use of Live, and could suggest a million things you would never think of, but instead of trying to work through this problem with them you just complain.

This may not be what you intend but your post makes you sound like a pouting 12 year old emo.

If you had fret sprout on your guitar, would you re fret the neck yourself, or would you take it to an expert?
Yeah I'm no tech expert. So what. I've never been, but I'm able to use stuff that other people built. I know the difference between recurring errors that might come from my system or from A bug or TWO in the program I use and crashes that are out of my hand.
If you think that I'll spend my time reporting about how Live randomly crashes when I fire up Guitar Rig 4 or Analog Factory or switch my audio in and output from built-in to soundflower or audio card or how my guitar cable that's obviously connected to audio input 2 and there's no sound because somehow Live shows me (after inspecting all my cables and stuff and losing time and nerves) that it gets the input from channel 1 (that's not even connected) and three sessions later it's the same problem only that I have to switch the audio in back to channel 2 again and that I'm sure IT IS Live because this is solved in 8.1 and that I have to shut down and open Live again because the APC froze up, dream on.

I'm patient and I understand that it takes time to satisfy all the different platforms, but what annoys me is that after so many fixes and new installs of so many "new" versions I still have a program that can quit on me suddenly and randomly. Moreover if I didn't save, it wouldn't be the first time that the recovery system recovers only a part of the work done.

And your emo comment, you can shove it up your ass.
MBP 2,5ghz
Live8
Maschine - AK1

http://www.myspace.com/milestoperdition

adventurepants_

Post by adventurepants_ » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:26 am

gerard wrote:I know the difference between recurring errors that might come from my system or from A bug or TWO in the program I use and crashes that are out of my hand.
Thats the thing, i dont think you do know the difference.

Ableton support may be able to point you in the right direction, but you would rather complain than take any sensible steps to solve your problem.
nathannn wrote:i will block everyone on this forum if i have to.

DDCCD

I CANNOT MAKE LIVE CRASH

Post by DDCCD » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:09 am

My friends tell me I am magnetic. Computer crashes and anomalies follow me.

I have not been able to even get logged in at Digidesign forum for 3 years. It tells me my email address is invalid, that my password is wrong.... EVERY TIME... (even when I change it) though I have a full-blown Pro Tools system. Then the site tells me it has sent me an email. Which it doesn't. It's a joke. No ph numbers to call about forum problems. Tech support has no clue as to how to help me.

I am so happy with Live and the forum here, that I have actually received help with some Mac / Pro Tools issues here! On a G5 Mac, i spend more time on Live than Pro Tools HD, and I have many more crashes on Pro Tools. Also, I use Live on my PC laptop constantly. It is the most stable program I have ever used. More stable than Word and MS Office!

But I know what it is like to be in computer hell!!!!! It can affect your whole life. So I feel for this guy. But the basic Live software is STABLE AND FROM THE FUTURE.