OT: LED vs halogen strobe lights

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dm_hawk

OT: LED vs halogen strobe lights

Post by dm_hawk » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:31 pm

i'm a lighting n00b, looking for a strobe light to control with Live for a video project. What are the advantages/disadvantages of LED vs. halogen strobe lights? I'm looking for as powerful a strobe as i can get for $200 or less.

for $150, this one is looking pretty good right now: http://www.chauvetlighting.com/led-techno-strobe.html

thanks in advance..
d
..... . . . . . . . . .

Tone Deft

Re: OT: LED vs halogen strobe lights

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:35 pm

LEDs generate less heat, are more compact and last a long time. halogens wear out and don't like to be strobed but they will probably long enough for a project. go LED, that link looks cool.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

dm_hawk

Post by dm_hawk » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:40 pm

Tone Deft wrote:LEDs generate less heat, are more compact and last a long time. halogens wear out and don't like to be strobed but they will probably long enough for a project. go LED, that link looks cool.
thanks, td!

are there any disadvantages to LED strobes in terms of light intensity, quality, etc?
..... . . . . . . . . .

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:46 pm

not really. compared to regular incandescent bulbs they generate more heat and use more current when built in groups but they're becoming more and more in vogue. they've been replacing traffic lights with LEDs for all these reasons.

I guess you might say they can look very discrete, IOW a group of them can look like a bunch of individual dots instead of one light, but a diffuser can change that.

then there's cost, each one is cheap, but you need a bunch of them to make up the lumens so the cost can go up. they're also 'coherent' light which can look funny in some situations (FWIW they're the same type of light source as a laser, coherent light, all the photons being emitted are of the exact same frequency.)

you also need more of them to make the same amount of light as other types of lights.

surely those lighting sites will have an FAQ on the pros and cons of each type of light.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:05 pm

I could be wrong as far as strobes, but LED par cans can be a lot more expensive when trying to match the light brightness of a traditional bulb.

But as has been mentioned, LED lasts a lot longer, doesn't generate heat, and is more cost effeciant on the electric bill.

I just got a couple LED pars for over the bar that smoothly transition between different colors at a speed rate you set. It fills a void in my life.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:04 pm

LEDs are also very directional - their beam spread being much more narrow than a standard bulb of any type. 10 to 40deg spread, depending on the spec. That image could very well be photoshopped to make it seem like 'wow, a lot of light is coming off!' Probably faked. In reality, if you stand at a 45deg angle to that fixture you'll see light, but nowhere near the effect when standing in front of the unit. This is why some LED arrays come with a reflective eggcrate backing - with the individual LEDs sitting inside a spherical, reflective cell - which bounces the light around nicely. (You'll see this same kind of thing with LED flashlights). Other setups cluster 3 or 4 LEDs at angle within a larger array.

LED is the way to go. Just make sure you get a good spread going. :lol:
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:10 pm

mmmmmmmmm spread.

you can get wide angled LEDs.
http://elexp.com/opt_25wd.htm

but yes, that can be a problem. I don't know if it's to make up for the low lumen output (wider means less photon density means not as bright) or part of the mfg process.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

dm_hawk

Post by dm_hawk » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:22 pm

thanks for the responses.

spread....

i want to film a dancer in the strobe light, in a roughly 15' x 15' to 20' x 20' space. i say "roughly" because the space in which we're filming is much larger, so we'll need to rope off an area that's within the strobe's spread, yet roomy enough for her to dance around.

do you think it might work better to get something like this for $200: http://www.guitarcenter.com/American-DJ ... 1155537.gc Image

...and surround the area with 4 smaller, synced lights?
..... . . . . . . . . .

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:34 pm

(my wife's a dancer/video artist and I do filming with her sometimes) I think that the 4 strobe idea could open up some creative possibilities, depending on what you want. You could fire all 4 in sync from either the same or different angles, or run them out of sync from different angles - that could create some nice interchanging silhouettes.
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:51 pm

Pitch Black wrote:(my wife's a dancer/video artist and I do filming with her sometimes) I think that the 4 strobe idea could open up some creative possibilities, depending on what you want. You could fire all 4 in sync from either the same or different angles, or run them out of sync from different angles - that could create some nice interchanging silhouettes.
Oh! That reminds me of when I saw some artist's display where he had water running out of a hose but with some clever use of different strobe settings it looked like the water was actually running up into the hose. I giggled with excitement.

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:05 am

Nothing but problems with our two (now just one) lights with halogens.

They were recalled.. before we bought them.. No wonder they were only 50 a piece.

OvertoneZero

Post by OvertoneZero » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:22 am

halogens are good for melting faces

dm_hawk

Post by dm_hawk » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:33 am

OvertoneZero wrote:halogens are good for melting faces
this is good to know - we specifically did NOT want melted faces in this production.
..... . . . . . . . . .

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:11 am

dm_hawk wrote:
OvertoneZero wrote:halogens are good for melting faces
this is good to know - we specifically did NOT want melted faces in this production.
Of course you want melted faces.. and wet panties of course

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:38 am

outershpongolia wrote: and wet panties of course
:lol:
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x