Tutorial Videos: Sound Design with Analog - Available Now!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Nick the Zombie

Re: Tutorial Videos: Sound Design with Analog - Available Now!

Post by Nick the Zombie » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:23 pm

Android Bishop wrote:yeah I'd say absynth, reaktor, zebra, or alchemy for the next one. massive is too much of a subtractive synth to really warrant a whole other tutorial
Good point. It's also a pretty intuitive interface, so I imagine most people are getting along with it just fine. Alchemy is another one that would be fun - gonna write that one down.

gurumonkey

Post by gurumonkey » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:48 pm

oh +1 for zebra.

Rahlo

Post by Rahlo » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:43 am

Hey man,

Been diggin' into these, and I must say you continue to get better and better at this. I'm one of those that didn't have much use for the Analog synth—now I realize that this is mostly b/c I hadn't learned the interface and how to make it do what it do. Analog is deadly, and can be made to fit my music just right!

Maybe, just maybe this will be the thing that helps me ditch Reason (not that I want to, but learning how to program Live's instruments and adding fx can go a long, long way). Rewiring isn't hard, but once I know how to get some Thor-ish action going on in my tracks, well . . .

It's cool too, b/c I get a chance to study the videos in between gigs over here in Sydney! 8)

Props to you again, big dawg!
peace,

rahlo
------------------------------------------------------
http://www.rahlo.com

MacBook Pro, Live 8, Reason 4, Akai MPD 32, Akai MPK 49, Akai APC 40, Metric Halo ULN-2 expanded, Apogee Duet.

necho

Post by necho » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:15 am

Thanks for these Nick - just what I needed. Analog is a tricky little bitch at first!
_________
sigs suck.

Nick the Zombie

Post by Nick the Zombie » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:58 am

Nice, thanks guys! I'm on a really boring road trip right now and just got to a hotel at the halfway point - nice to see these comments at the end of a horridly long day of driving.

Vibrations

Post by Vibrations » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:16 am

Again a beautiful tutorial.

But why you didn't use Live's zoom function?
For my eyes the tutorial is a bit hard to watch.

But again - a very instructive tutorial.

gurumonkey

Post by gurumonkey » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:54 pm

vib, you can probably set your video player to show the video at 200% to see it better.

Nick the Zombie

Post by Nick the Zombie » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:56 pm

Vibrations wrote:Again a beautiful tutorial.

But why you didn't use Live's zoom function?
For my eyes the tutorial is a bit hard to watch.

But again - a very instructive tutorial.
Unfortunately, it's not quite that easy of a choice when putting these vids together. There are all kinds of considerations that I go through in order to keep the video big enough while focusing on the entire instrument at all times. This is because I move around the interface quite a bit and zooming in and out would become quite fatiguing for the viewer (believe me, I've tried to do the vids that way). Also, filesizes are a huge factor in deciding how big the videos are. I would definitely go with Gurumonkey's advice and simply zoom Quicktime a bit, but if this continues to be an issue definitely shoot me a message at the website and I'll figure something else out :)

Thanks for the feedback!

RobC

Post by RobC » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:37 am

I am only halfway through the second video but these are up to Nick's usually high standard- definitely recommendable.

Rob.

NeoMetric

Post by NeoMetric » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:49 am

ya but... why pay money for this? what's it got that's worth any cash whatsoever? i don't get how anyone thinks an 'ad' for information that's free all over youtube and everywhere is par for this forum. what am i missing?
Virus Classic, Nord Lead 2, MPD32, Launchpad

RobC

Post by RobC » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:28 am

Neometric-

Important question, and applicable to many resources for music making nowadays.

So firstly, I like supporting anyone who puts lots of effort into educational stuff that I find useful- Nick, the other Covert Operators, Tom Cosm etc etc; and secondly the "follow up" tends to be built in around questions, improvements etc.

I find similar things with Synths- I have great free ones as well as ones I've paid for.

Now all I need is a freeware trombone...

Great graphic, by the way.

Rob.

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:58 am

lots of people enjoy paying a quality person for a quality product.

Alchemy! alchemy!
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

kb420

Post by kb420 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:11 am

The Zombie Rocks!!!!

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

Nick the Zombie

Post by Nick the Zombie » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:25 pm

NeoMetric wrote:ya but... why pay money for this? what's it got that's worth any cash whatsoever? i don't get how anyone thinks an 'ad' for information that's free all over youtube and everywhere is par for this forum. what am i missing?
Where is all of this information available on "Youtube and everywhere?" I haven't been able to find it, and what has turned up has varied greatly in quality. Meanwhile, lots of time and energy (months of working 10 hour days) have gone into writing, rewriting, creating sounds, and editing these videos into an order and format that will take someone with a widely variable knowledge of subtractive synthesis and Analog through a very deep exploration of some complex sounds, all described step-by-step in great detail. In addition to this, I'm very active in talking to my customers about what they've seen after they finish the series, so the support is ongoing in that sense.

Whether you see any value in this is up to you, but thankfully lots of people have tried it out and seem to be happy they did.

innerstatejt

Post by innerstatejt » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:32 pm

This Analog series is highly recommended! Being someone that knows a bit about Synthesis, Nick always teaches me a number of things I wasn't previously aware of.

When it comes to FREE vs Paid services, I tend to dip my toe in with the Free stuff to see if the person/company peaks my interest. If it does, I happily pay. I look at it as a show of appreciation for something I'd like to see more of. My money allows them to continue doing what they do best. I have no problem supporting someone who puts alot of time, effort and care into not only his products, but into his customers.

Thanks Nick for another monster of a series!

Jason
Download the FREE PDF: Recovery Songs That Have Lost Their Spark
https://www.musicsoftwaretraining.com/recovery