Late to the game: Reaktor appreciation

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
8O
Posts: 5502
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:29 am
Location: Berlin

Late to the game: Reaktor appreciation

Post by 8O » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:33 pm

Just bought Reaktor as part of that special deal... Just 5 minutes out of its virtual box and I'm 8O :lol: 8) - good grief, what have I been missing all these years?

Just mucking around with the delivery preset-ensembles, not even started editing anything yet, but this thing is huge - and great, great sounding...

Arrived at the party late, I know, but better late than never... awesome stuff!

Anyone else feeling the thanksgiving love here? :D
Image

necho
Posts: 995
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:39 pm
Location: (y)UK

Re: Late to the game: Reaktor appreciation

Post by necho » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:38 pm

Yes - reaktor is HUGE and mind-blowing and has many amazing ensembles...

But beware: its hungry. And it eats human flesh.

I got stuck in reaktor for two years and made NO tunes in that time. I'm still recovering.
_________
sigs suck.

HiEnergy
Posts: 93
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:34 pm
Location: Berlin, Germany
Contact:

Re: Late to the game: Reaktor appreciation

Post by HiEnergy » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:23 pm

I'm afraid I'll be the next victim of the evil Reaktor.
I also bought it but did not yet activate as I want to take the next step to this one: http://www.thomann.de/de/native_instrum ... pgrade.htm

- Camel Alchemy and several add-ons
- u-he ACE
- Novation Launchpad
- NI Reaktor
- NI Komplete
- what's next...? (certainly not Max4Live)

I pity my bank account... :roll:

penfolder
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:59 pm
Location: Camberwell

Re: Late to the game: Reaktor appreciation

Post by penfolder » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:52 pm

8O wrote:Just bought Reaktor as part of that special deal... Just 5 minutes out of its virtual box and I'm 8O :lol: 8) - good grief, what have I been missing all these years?

Just mucking around with the delivery preset-ensembles, not even started editing anything yet, but this thing is huge - and great, great sounding...

Arrived at the party late, I know, but better late than never... awesome stuff!

Anyone else feeling the thanksgiving love here? :D
^ snap fella,

sold my copy of Reason4 to get Reaktor, probs the best move I've ever made, the ideas are following....its all good!

8)
P[P]
2010

Slightlydelic
Posts: 776
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 1:42 pm

Re: Late to the game: Reaktor appreciation

Post by Slightlydelic » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:24 pm

yeah definitly feeling the love here, i reccon theres a good few years of tweeking the presets in the supplied ensemble + the user library to be had before i even think about building my own instruments.

the sounds are night & day different to lives, so it compliments live's instruments and sound set very well.

definitly the second best 100 quid ive ever spent.

Martyn
Posts: 2505
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2003 11:22 am
Location: UK

Re: Late to the game: Reaktor appreciation

Post by Martyn » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:29 pm

Definitely feeling it here too. I'm just starting to get to grips with a couple of the ensembles in the groovebox section, tune on the go! Best purchase I've made in years.

nylarch
Posts: 510
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:55 pm
Location: brooklyn

Re: Late to the game: Reaktor appreciation

Post by nylarch » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:36 pm

sold my copy of Reason4 to get Reaktor, probs the best move I've ever made, the ideas are following....its all good!
Did exactly the same thing. I really has its own sound as someone else noted and gives you that crazy digital granular sound effects vibe so well - its really really cool.

I was worried about a massive CPU hit but so far not so bad...

The reverbs are really nice too.
MacBook Pro; Live 8 Suite, Reaktor; '77 Fender Jazz Bass; Apogee One;

djgroovy
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:15 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: Late to the game: Reaktor appreciation

Post by djgroovy » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:03 pm

I had actually bought Reaktor like 3 weeks ago, second-hand license for 100€. :mrgreen:
So i paid 1€ more for 3 weeks head-start over you guys. :lol:

Some very nice sounds and fx there, for sure.

mholloway
Posts: 1577
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:24 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon, USA
Contact:

Re: Late to the game: Reaktor appreciation

Post by mholloway » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:34 am

It's certainly the deepest synthesis software available on the market. Which makes it's value well beyond what you pay, even at the previous price. It's like buying Reason, except you also get to modify every module and even make your own. That said, the problem with Reaktor is first of all the mountains-high learning curve for those who want to actually get into building stuff, and secondly (but relatedly) the real and sad lack of good documentation or anything even approaching an extensive, let alone comprehensive, tutorial. To this day I can't even comprehend how anyone other than NI developers themselves has managed to learn the Core Audio introduced in Reaktor 5. If you think the other stuff is complicated...yeesh. And all that exists out there is the core reference manual packaged in the box. And it might as well be printed in Mandarin for all the use it is to people not already strongly familiar with this shit. It's been said before but NI should seriously consider releasing extensive DVD / video download tutorials for this program. It would make all the difference in the world for a lot of us.

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

Jarvisimon
Posts: 764
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:29 pm
Location: England

Re: Late to the game: Reaktor appreciation

Post by Jarvisimon » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:55 am

mholloway wrote: It's been said before but NI should seriously consider releasing extensive DVD / video download tutorials for this program. It would make all the difference in the world for a lot of us.
Go to the Reaktor forum and say it again. Enough voices ask for help and they'll actually take note and do something about it.

simpleton
Posts: 913
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:44 pm
Location: Location: Location:

Re: Late to the game: Reaktor appreciation

Post by simpleton » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:11 am

Martyn wrote:Definitely feeling it here too. I'm just starting to get to grips with a couple of the ensembles in the groovebox section, tune on the go! Best purchase I've made in years.
One word... Limelite :wink:
Image
The Leveller wrote:Wow, a weird shaped dead coral with sh!t stuck to it. Proof indeed of supernatural abilities.

exper
Posts: 362
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:07 am
Location: Southern New Jersey

Re: Late to the game: Reaktor appreciation

Post by exper » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:28 am

simpleton wrote:
Martyn wrote:Definitely feeling it here too. I'm just starting to get to grips with a couple of the ensembles in the groovebox section, tune on the go! Best purchase I've made in years.
One word... Limelite :wink:

Yes, I strongly recommend that you all buy the Electronic Instruments 2 set. There are about six ensembles in there, but they are doozies especially the above mentioned Limelite. Oh, also be on the lookout for Spiral, a free generative midi sequencer that NI gave for free. I can't remember where NI posted it, so maybe someone else can jog my memory...

twisted-space
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:50 pm
Location: UK Midlands

Re: Late to the game: Reaktor appreciation

Post by twisted-space » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:29 am

exper wrote:Oh, also be on the lookout for Spiral, a free generative midi sequencer that NI gave for free. I can't remember where NI posted it, so maybe someone else can jog my memory...
It's on the Reaktor 5 update page.

djgroovy
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:15 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: Late to the game: Reaktor appreciation

Post by djgroovy » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:33 am

mholloway wrote:It's certainly the deepest synthesis software available on the market. Which makes it's value well beyond what you pay, even at the previous price. It's like buying Reason, except you also get to modify every module and even make your own. That said, the problem with Reaktor is first of all the mountains-high learning curve for those who want to actually get into building stuff, and secondly (but relatedly) the real and sad lack of good documentation or anything even approaching an extensive, let alone comprehensive, tutorial. To this day I can't even comprehend how anyone other than NI developers themselves has managed to learn the Core Audio introduced in Reaktor 5. If you think the other stuff is complicated...yeesh. And all that exists out there is the core reference manual packaged in the box. And it might as well be printed in Mandarin for all the use it is to people not already strongly familiar with this shit. It's been said before but NI should seriously consider releasing extensive DVD / video download tutorials for this program. It would make all the difference in the world for a lot of us.

-M
Documentation for some of the included ensembles is also superficial at best.

supamonsta
Posts: 2621
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:31 pm
Location: The Lounge
Contact:

Re: Late to the game: Reaktor appreciation

Post by supamonsta » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:57 am

well, is the offer period over?

I can't find reaktor for 99$ anywhere...

is it already over? :cry:

if so I'm really much more late to the game than you were!



EDIT:

ok I'm off the game :
JAMM wrote:Remember....Until 30 november!
(from topic reaktor5 or max4live)

fuck me

Post Reply