[OT] how hard it is to learn/use Pro Tools?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
shatzer

Re: [OT] how hard it is to learn/use Pro Tools?

Post by shatzer » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:10 am

Its really easy to use, especially PT 8. Its still a little buggy compared but the midi editing is better than the previous versions IMHO. It now has that "Ableton" feel to it that its been missing.

If you want to learn it, a good book about $50.00 is "Pro Tools 101 Official Courseware"
Will explain everything and then you can move on to 110 Course, 210, etc....

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:18 am

leedsquietman wrote:You can't open .omf files in PTHD either unless you have the DigiTranslator costing $495.00

but I don't want to get into PT bashing, it is a nice system for mixing audio in (PTHD) and Knotkranky will whup my ass if I say anything else negative on here for the umpteenth time ;)

LOL, in case you didn't know my friend, you're one of the straightest, informative, most polite shooters here :)

But for the record about Digi, they are as great as they suck. Proprietary $ucks in ton$ of way$, but the quality control is HUGE!!!. If your gig is about sitting next to demanding artists and producers, just think how much consistent stability is worth. That said, i've never called digi support since 1998. Ever. And I experienced one big-ish crash in front of a demanding artist 5 years ago and fixed it in ten minutes. With all their revisions and versions over the years, it simply has never let me down. That's why it became a standard and why all studios are into it.

It's just business.

shatzer

Post by shatzer » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:22 am

knotkranky wrote:
leedsquietman wrote:You can't open .omf files in PTHD either unless you have the DigiTranslator costing $495.00

but I don't want to get into PT bashing, it is a nice system for mixing audio in (PTHD) and Knotkranky will whup my ass if I say anything else negative on here for the umpteenth time ;)

LOL, in case you didn't know my friend, you're one of the straightest, informative, most polite shooters here :)

But for the record about Digi, they are as great as they suck. Proprietary $ucks in ton$ of way$, but the quality control is HUGE!!!. If your gig is about sitting next to demanding artists and producers, just think how much consistent stability is worth. That said, i've never called digi support since 1998. Ever. And I experienced one big-ish crash in front of a demanding artist 5 years ago and fixed it in ten minutes. With all their revisions and versions over the years, it simply has never let me down. That's why it became a standard and why all studios are into it.

It's just business.
Exactly, if all the people bitching about Live 8 issues with all their 3rd party crap would just go to Pro Tools then stability wouldn't be a problem for them anymore. Uh oh, I hope I didn't light a match. :mrgreen:

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:26 am

<throws gas on match>

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:26 am

Cheers KK. 8) Right back at ya.

Uh-Oh. Shatzer lit the touch paper - I've got my beer and chips and am now gonna sit back and watch the fireworks ;)

This forum has been better than pay per view and without the cost in the past few days. :P

OK. Bring it on...
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:15 am

knotkranky wrote:

It's just business.
+1

in daily work routines (often utterly boring stuff) reliability is often way more important then anything! else, comfort or fanciness or whatever...
and PTHD systems, like em or not! have proven themselves as utterly reliable compared to many others...

they are not around as tracking and mix devices still in utter majority for no reason.

it's not my personal fave tool to work with, absolute not,
but i fully understand why a PTHD system is still the most used around in larger sound facilities.
*** Image GAFM ***