Cool experimental music made in Live

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
evernaut

Cool experimental music made in Live

Post by evernaut » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:43 pm

Thought I'd share a link to some interesting stuff being done with Live/ Max/MSP/ MachineDrum & live musicians by my good friend Radek here in York, UK.
He does some great work. We both took post-grad courses together at the MRC in York - my stuff is nothing like this, more songs and melodies...which I'll be sharing soon...but here's a link to his latest piece:

http://koshimazaki.com/radek/?rudnicki- ... essions,42

I did some improvised sessions with him last week, played live to visuals and the results of that sound pretty cool too.

Enjoy.

kristoffer1989

Re: Cool experimental music made in Live

Post by kristoffer1989 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:34 am

Wow! That's fucking awsome! Will download and listen more to!
Kristoffer Lislegaard
Myspace - Soundcloud - Vimeo

Jarvisimon

Re: Cool experimental music made in Liver

Post by Jarvisimon » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:34 am

Interesting. Not keen on everything, it's a bit unsure if it wants to be truly experimental or if it wants to be technofied. The experiments are good but the techno bits didn't explore enough new areas.

Perhaps staying away from 4/4 or any other particular set beat would help. Though perhaps that would make it too challenging as your synth sounds are too closely related to glitchy rhythmic productions.

I like it more when your synths go right out there into lesser trodden territory. Such as the beginning of noisy grooves. Though this could be acoustically created on your trumpet. The beat is a bit normal for my liking and has instantly placed you at a more conventional gig. It's well produced so will probably go down well in the right venue. Trumpet squeals good but perhaps they could be used to gate/compress your synths.

Ambient is alright though I tend to get put off by sustained pad washes. Ambient shouldn't be just that. Eno/Fripp/Kluster/Czukay etc have a lot to answer for. Infact, ambient has to be the least favourite so far.

Rhythms/Grooves starts off fairly interesting though not keen on the distorted kick sound. It's all a bit too normal territory to my ears. (I have some strange ears btw).

On the whole I like what you're doing, though think you fall back on standard techno sounds far too much. Be good to hear you really go for it with the more out-there experimental stuff.

Take a listen to some of my stuff. It needs working on for sure though i'm quite happy with "back to where we started" "bullet through the head" and "Destress distress" anyway, you decide. http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... did=944007

12 Theory

Post by 12 Theory » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:54 am

It just sounds like random noises to me. Was that the intention? Not trying to sound harsh, I'm actually curious.

Jarvisimon

Post by Jarvisimon » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:05 am

12 Theory wrote:It just sounds like random noises to me. Was that the intention? Not trying to sound harsh, I'm actually curious.
The title of the thread is "cool experimental music made in Live" so I guess he's experimenting with lesser heard sounds. Didn't quite go far enough really.

12 Theory

Post by 12 Theory » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:15 am

Ah, so the intent is not to record a song but really the purpose is to make new sounds so that some of them can be used as individual samples to include in a song? Or am I way off the mark here?

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:30 am

Yikes. This is what happens when too many white boys get into a room together. :P

:wink:

Actually man, I fukin loved it. Ambient is a great track, as was Rhythms-grooves. Dirty.

Reminds me of some nice experimental sounds heard on the last David Sylvian record called 'Blemish'.
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:36 am

Jarvisimon wrote:Interesting. Not keen on everything, it's a bit unsure if it wants to be truly experimental or if it wants to be technofied. The experiments are good but the techno bits didn't explore enough new areas.

Perhaps staying away from 4/4 or any other particular set beat would help. Though perhaps that would make it too challenging as your synth sounds are too closely related to glitchy rhythmic productions.

I like it more when your synths go right out there into lesser trodden territory. Such as the beginning of noisy grooves. Though this could be acoustically created on your trumpet. The beat is a bit normal for my liking and has instantly placed you at a more conventional gig. It's well produced so will probably go down well in the right venue. Trumpet squeals good but perhaps they could be used to gate/compress your synths.

Ambient is alright though I tend to get put off by sustained pad washes. Ambient shouldn't be just that. Eno/Fripp/Kluster/Czukay etc have a lot to answer for. Infact, ambient has to be the least favourite so far.

Rhythms/Grooves starts off fairly interesting though not keen on the distorted kick sound. It's all a bit too normal territory to my ears. (I have some strange ears btw).

On the whole I like what you're doing, though think you fall back on standard techno sounds far too much. Be good to hear you really go for it with the more out-there experimental stuff.

Take a listen to some of my stuff. It needs working on for sure though i'm quite happy with "back to where we started" "bullet through the head" and "Destress distress" anyway, you decide. http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... did=944007

Disagree with most of your assessment. What you call 'normal territory', 'standard', etc I would call an interesting way to anchor the pieces onto familiar bedrock. For me that sort of foundation makes some of the more daring parts that much more interesting.

Having said that, I really dig your tracks as well.

Jarvisimon

Post by Jarvisimon » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:49 am

LoopStationZebra wrote:
Jarvisimon wrote:Interesting. Not keen on everything, it's a bit unsure if it wants to be truly experimental or if it wants to be technofied. The experiments are good but the techno bits didn't explore enough new areas.

Disagree with most of your assessment. What you call 'normal territory', 'standard', etc I would call an interesting way to anchor the pieces onto familiar bedrock. For me that sort of foundation makes some of the more daring parts that much more interesting.

Disagreeing is a good thing. I'm just more and more into new territory nowadays so prefer the paths that are lesser trodden.

Glad you like my sounds though, it's always appreciated to hear you're not totally off the planet.

Made in Liver indeed!

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:53 am

nice :D

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:07 am

Jarvisimon wrote:
LoopStationZebra wrote:

Disagreeing is a good thing. I'm just more and more into new territory nowadays so prefer the paths that are lesser trodden.

Glad you like my sounds though, it's always appreciated to hear you're not totally off the planet.

Made in Liver indeed!

lol, yeah very nice stuff as well. Departure Lounge of Eno's Airport. lol Great title. See, you're stuff is firmly in the experimental catagory. No question there. Your pieces by their very nature are challenging the listener at every turn. Challenging their preconceived notions of what constitutes rhythm. What constitutes melody. What constitutes basic song structure itself. There's almost no point of reference for the average lister (or even for seasoned fans of experimental music), and that's always a thrill for me. Horrid for some, but a thrill for me.

evernaut's stuff is certainly not conventional, but has a couple of toes - and sometimes a whole foot - planted firmly on solid ground, lol. I like that, though.

Are you able to download any of your tracks? I'd love to listen to these at different times of the day, if that makes any sense. lol.

evernaut

Post by evernaut » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:11 am

Interesting. Anyway, just pointing out that this stuff is by my friend Radek Rudnicki. Not me.

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:39 am

just been listening to concert promo, i really like it. especially the first part.

there's a lot of stuff that i download, listen to once and then delete but i'm keeping this, it's right up my alley

are there a lot of live users in york? i live down here in london but my roots are up that way

UnCL0NED

Post by UnCL0NED » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:06 pm

Very Nice Stuff. Always cool to see people pushing the boundaries in music.

I'm very curious how you use Live in your jam sessions. Is Live only used for recording? Or are you using preset loops and then some effects over it? Or are you actually recording stuff with loopers and immediatly mangle that stuff again, etc?
I'm currently experimenting with my girlfriend singing and recording her in loopers and mess her voice up! Any tips,tricks and links on this are very welcome!
Maybe you could videotape yourselves sometime while jamming...

Keep it up!!!
soundcloud
"everything you read on the internet is true!"