What can you NOT do with MAX4Live?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tone Deft

Re: What can you NOT do with MAX4Live?

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:26 am

as for a Traktor replacement....

http://www.mspinky.com/phpBB2/viewtopic ... 23459f603a

"For the upcoming release of Max-4-Live (M4L), I've prepared a "Ms Pinky" M4L patch that allows audio file scratching in M4L. This patch should serve as a starting point for users of M4L who want to explore other ways of using the "Ms Pinky" vinyl control system in the context of M4L. This patch, and all of its component externals, will be included with the "Maxi-Patch" patches in our downloads. All registered* Ms Pinky users who have purchased a package that includes software from us will be eligible to access the latest downloads, including the M4L patch. If you've never purchased Ms Pinky software from us, you'll need to do so in order to access the downloadable M4L patch. The price for Ms Pinky's IWS software set (including M4L patch, Maxi-Patch, Pinky VST, Binky Toy and 4 vinyl) is still $99.00 USD. "

this is not scratching clips, it's scratching files from an file library. we might be able to scratch clips someday, I don't know. it would be simple to say, control a parameter in Live with Ms Pinky, I just don't know if we could scrub around a clip.

don't expect people to make things for you, they might but don't count on it.

more info but it's all in Spanish.
http://www.e-lectronica.com/luthierlab/ ... s-del-mudo
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Android Bishop

Post by Android Bishop » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:24 am

bake bread
start fires
change your oil
get you a girlfriend
balance your checkbook and pay your taxes (actually nm it probably can do this)

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:34 am

you can not access parameters within a rack. So a lot of the content supplied with live can only be controlled through macros or midi cc

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:29 am

No access to automation or clip envelopes. :(
No access to arrangement view clips.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

knj19

Post by knj19 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:40 am

i still wont be able to make good music
my music is crap!!

Surreal

Post by Surreal » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:48 am

scientist

Post by scientist » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:20 pm

surround. or so i hear.

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:47 pm

knj19 wrote:i still wont be able to make good music
+1.. garbage in, garbage out..

leonard

Post by leonard » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:48 am

bump.
tell me more what is not currently available.

i hear one cannot access the audio data in a clip slot.

this is bad. how may we overcome this?
???

leonard

Post by leonard » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:13 am

bounce
please
???

henke

Post by henke » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:35 pm

Max For Live is a very large scale, long term project. The original idea for the initial release was to provide only a better integration of self made audio/midi/instrument plug ins. This goal is already achieved stunningly good in the current version; it is possible to build own effects while Live is running, using interface elements that automatically show up in the automation choosers in Live, being stored when you store a set etc... I am very very happy with the current state here, even if there is of course still a lot of things to do, and always will be.

We also wanted to create a more official path of access to the Live API. The Live API once was written with the sole purpose of connecting MIDI controllers to Live. Initially we did not plan to make the API support part of the first M4L release, but thanks to the incredible personal effort of all the colleagues involved in the project we were able to put out a first version of this too.

The current support of the API includes not dramatic changes or additions to the API itself, it mainly exposes it to the users via MAX.

Whilst there are already amazing possibilities, the API does not provide "full access", what ever that might mean. Changing the content of an audio file did not make sense in the context of a HW controller, therefor it is not part of the API.

This as a bit of background.

I'd like to mention something here, which is probably not obvious: There is a benefit of the integration of Max For Live also for Live users who are not interested in it. In order to develop Max For Live a lot of existing code had to be reviewed and optimized. Bugs could be found that might have been undiscovered for much longer, structures needed to be streamlined and so on. Consider Max For Live as an ongoing hardcore stress test for the application. Users will do things with the API that will push the application to its limits. This helps us to find bottlenecks, which is good for all users.

Some words about the future. Max For Live is nothing that is done once and that's it. Max will evolve, Live will do, and so will Max For Live. There are some very obvious features missing, that will be part of a future update, like support for sending audio from device to device, or some additions to the API and there are things which we cannot anticipate and which will come up as wishes once more people are using it for a while.

Cheers, Robert

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:51 pm

This is precisely why I'm really excited for the future of Live in general: the fact that M4L will be the impetus for future features in Live. Things like multi-channel MIDI, direct OSC support, and sysex support are just a couple of things that I can see they might work on adding for one of the next big upgrades. M4L has the potential to not only solve many small feature requests but also reveal the need for larger features that when added and combined with M4L make for some extremely powerful stuff.
Unsound Designer

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:26 pm

@henke. No doubt at all that Max For Live is an excellent product, and also a great achievement.

I hope you don't feel this thread is being critical of Max for Live. I thinks it's just trying to clarify certain facts. M4L is a complex product and not easily taken on board, especially by people who are not so technically oriented.

Also people (like me) probably have some specific ideas of how they would like to use M4L and are just trying to see if these ideas will be possible in the current version. It's understandable if they are a little disappointed when they find that they can't - yet.

n8sum

Post by n8sum » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:55 pm

henke wrote: Some words about the future. Max For Live is nothing that is done once and that's it. Max will evolve, Live will do, and so will Max For Live. There are some very obvious features missing, that will be part of a future update, like support for sending audio from device to device, or some additions to the API and there are things which we cannot anticipate and which will come up as wishes once more people are using it for a while.
I too am happy with the current version and look forward to future improvements. Thanks for providing insight about the development goals behind Max4Live.

1-0ne

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:01 pm

n8sum wrote:
henke wrote: Some words about the future. Max For Live is nothing that is done once and that's it. Max will evolve, Live will do, and so will Max For Live. There are some very obvious features missing, that will be part of a future update, like support for sending audio from device to device, or some additions to the API and there are things which we cannot anticipate and which will come up as wishes once more people are using it for a while.
I too am happy with the current version and look forward to future improvements. Thanks for providing insight about the development goals behind Max4Live.

1-0ne
+1 re the insight