Is there a lack of moderation in the General forum?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Is there a lack of moderation on the Ableton Forums?

Yes, I think the moderators should be a bit stricter.
31%
No, it's my freedom of speech, get f**ked.
37%
Maybe, but I only read what is of interest to me anyway.
32%

Total votes: 117

mode:masters

Is there a lack of moderation in the General forum?

Post by mode:masters » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:14 am

I've been reading this forum for a while now, but have not been a member until just recently. I am a little shocked by some of the off-topic posts I've seen lately.

I mean, when I see posts like "Have you ever jizzed on a partner whilst they were asleep?" I shudder a little. I thought we were here to discuss music and music software, production and techniques. I realise just about every forum on the internet has a General zone where people talk shit, but c'mon, this is ridiculous.

To see the responses that post has received also bothers me somewhat. I'm a red-blooded male, but even I know that is downright wrong, sexist and totally offensive to all the female forum members here. In fact, to women in general. It shows an appaling lack of respect.

I don't wish to start a flame war, but am wondering if i'm the only one here thinking this?

Tell us what you think.

simpleton

Re: Is there a lack of moderation in the General forum?

Post by simpleton » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:25 am

mode:masters wrote:...I thought we were here to discuss music and music software, production and techniques. I realise just about every forum on the internet has a General zone where people talk shit, but c'mon, this is ridiculous.
...I don't wish to start a flame war, but am wondering if i'm the only one here thinking this?
A flame war is almost certainly inevitable, but I agree with you. This situation can be remedied easily and still preserve free speech if the Abes would create a "Pit" category in the forum and politely move these threads into there.
The Leveller wrote:Wow, a weird shaped dead coral with sh!t stuck to it. Proof indeed of supernatural abilities.

john doe by choice

Post by john doe by choice » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:28 am

This forum is actually pretty mild in comparison to, say, the myspace edm forum, which is 99% morons/trolls/spammers.

As for posts to read, the post you mention is one not to read if you can see that the topic is obviously not of interest to you. That, and it's early-ish in the EU, but Dom probably would have asked for it to be toned down if he were up long enough to have coffee and a berliner. Anyway, the longer you're here, the more you'll be able to tell whose posts to ignore/avoid.

There have been a few bannings in here to, but those guys are usually really easy to spot, since they do pretty much the most juvenile shit possible just to be annoying, regardless of how stupid they know they sound (and they DO know, that's the point). It's teh intarwebz, taking forum shit seriously is a waste of time/losing battle.

Also, Rave is pretty chill most of the time...maybe he's drunk. It's possible, y'know.

Post by mode:masters » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:36 am

john doe by choice wrote:As for posts to read, the post you mention is one not to read if you can see that the topic is obviously not of interest to you. That, and it's early-ish in the EU, but Dom probably would have asked for it to be toned down if he were up long enough to have coffee and a berliner. Anyway, the longer you're here, the more you'll be able to tell whose posts to ignore/avoid.
Don't get me wrong, I know which posts to avoid, I've been in a enough forums to have seen it all before, it just surprises me that ones like that get such a response. Makes me sad for the human race.

There is such a wealth of knowledge/experience in this forum and it's really unfortunate it has to be tainted by such crap.

Jacqueslacouth

Post by Jacqueslacouth » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:40 am

And you assume that the word partner is gender specific huh? If not, why is it so offensive to women?

Post by mode:masters » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:44 am

Jacqueslacouth wrote:And you assume that the word partner is gender specific huh? If not, why is it so offensive to women?
I don't think that it really matters. It's wrong. Gay straight or Bi. Male or female. Not kool.
Last edited by mode:masters on Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:46 am

gtfo.

john doe by choice

Post by john doe by choice » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:51 am

mode:masters wrote:
john doe by choice wrote:As for posts to read, the post you mention is one not to read if you can see that the topic is obviously not of interest to you. That, and it's early-ish in the EU, but Dom probably would have asked for it to be toned down if he were up long enough to have coffee and a berliner. Anyway, the longer you're here, the more you'll be able to tell whose posts to ignore/avoid.
Don't get me wrong, I know which posts to avoid, I've been in a enough forums to have seen it all before, it just surprises me that ones like that get such a response. Makes me sad for the human race.

There is such a wealth of knowledge/experience in this forum and it's really unfortunate it has to be tainted by such crap.
Dude, you're in a male nerd's locker room, what did you expect? Like most forums, this forum has something like .0001% women in it, that's why that shit floats in here.

Anyway, if you really care about production, go into the production forum, although I have to say, that wing of the ward is generally pretty quiet in comparison to general. The upside is, you can find way more stuff than you can even try out in there, and people seem to stay on topic.

Post by mode:masters » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:53 am

funky shit wrote:gtfo.
Of:

Town?

Dodge?

The forum?

Do you have an opinion or you just like to tell people where to go?

Like I said I do not want to start a flame war, nor do i want to quell people's freedon of speech. I just don't need to see that kind of thing here and I'd like to hear others' opinions.

Post by mode:masters » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:57 am

john doe by choice wrote:Dude, you're in a male nerd's locker room, what did you expect? Like most forums, this forum has something like .0001% women in it, that's why that shit floats in here.
So male nerd's are exempt from being appropriate?

FYI I work in IT and consider myself a nerd too.

I guess you know all the females in this forum? Just because there may not be many women members doesn't mean there aren't alot of female readers. That's no excuse.

Also, i'm not here just for "production" reasons, i can talk shit as well, i just don't talk shit that would offend a decent portion of the community.

shatzer

Post by shatzer » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:05 am

Maybe the topic was a bit much especially for a professional company, I can definately see that. Was I offended or even care? No. Ignore and go on with your life. Instead of posting some crap up like this thread, privately email on pm DOM. You know what you risk saying some crap like that. Nothing personal, but if you want to hang out somewhere where theres no crudeness then go to church.

adventurepants_

Post by adventurepants_ » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:14 am

john doe by choice wrote:Dude, you're in a male nerd's locker room, what did you expect? Like most forums, this forum has something like .0001% women in it, that's why that shit floats in here.
So male nerd's are exempt from being appropriate?

FYI I work in IT and consider myself a nerd too.

I guess you know all the females in this forum? Just because there may not be many women members doesn't mean there aren't alot of female readers. That's no excuse.

Also, i'm not here just for "production" reasons, i can talk shit as well, i just don't talk shit that would offend a decent portion of the community.
Youll get used to it. and then youll ever wonder why you wanted to change it. This forum is something special, and to moderate it like some other forums would completely change its tone. Theres a few guitar forums I frequent that are moderated, and they are bllaaaaaannnnnnddddd, although useful for knowledge.

The mods just end up reflecting their own prejudices in their moderation. I for one am glad that does not happen here. Artists hangouts have always been a bit risque. The forum is a cute little puppy dog these days compared to what it used to be like.

Another south awstrayliun? I think that makes 3 of us outed on here now!
nathannn wrote:i will block everyone on this forum if i have to.

Post by mode:masters » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:15 am

shatzer wrote:Maybe the topic was a bit much especially for a professional company, I can definately see that.
This is basically what I am getting at. I expect to see this type of thing on other community based and moderated forums, not from one run by a large, respected company like Ableton.
shatzer wrote: Was I offended or even care? No. Ignore and go on with your life. Instead of posting some crap up like this thread, privately email on pm DOM. You know what you risk saying some crap like that. Nothing personal, but if you want to hang out somewhere where theres no crudeness then go to church.
Your comments appear to suggest you think I am a "churchie" or a "do-gooder". Far from correct, I am neither, I just found that post quite offensive.

You are entitled to your opinion as I am mine, but how about something constructive instead "posting some crap up like this thread". I think think that the jizz post was "crap like this" and am just voicing my opinion, i'm not asking you to like it.

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:16 am

funky shit wrote:gtfo.
Of:

Town?

Dodge?

The forum?

Do you have an opinion or you just like to tell people where to go?

Like I said I do not want to start a flame war, nor do i want to quell people's freedon of speech. I just don't need to see that kind of thing here and I'd like to hear others' opinions.
yeah but a thread?

Post by mode:masters » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:21 am

funky shit if you have nothing to contribute in this thread then you are not obliged to respond.