i've had 5 newcastles. Yummy

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
UKRuss

Re: i've had 5 newcastles. Yummy

Post by UKRuss » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:18 pm

Guff Tong wrote:In the interest of "proper blokeness" please can we refrain from calling Newcastle Brown Ale, "Newcastles"...

The correct english term is simply 'Dog', 'Broon' (if your a geordie) or 'Newky' if your a noob.

But NEVER 'Newcastles'!!!

eg: 'Fuck me i drank some serious dog last night'

I know several outlaw bikers that would eat you for less ;)
+1, for gods sake dont come to the UK and ask for 'a bottle of newcastle please' unless you're wearing a stab vest.

Dog.

Always was, always will be.

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:24 pm

Oh yeah - Newcastle Brown. I like.

...and it's considered quite a nice beer here in Sweden. Found on the import shelf among other nice stuff.

However, I've been to Newcastle a couple of times (being a guest teacher at Northumbria University), and I'm sensing that sometimes I get some cruddy looks ordering Newcastle Brown Ale. As if it would be a crappy choice compared to some of the other British and Umbrian ales and lagers. At one bar in Jesmond they even frowned and almost rolled their eyes on me saying: "We don't actually carry Newcastle Brown".

So what's the status of the broon in Newcastle upon Tyne. Huh?

.m

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:25 pm

UKRuss wrote:
+1, for gods sake dont come to the UK and ask for 'a bottle of newcastle please' unless you're wearing a stab vest.
Oh. Could that've been my path of error?

.m

Ball Sack

Post by Ball Sack » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:27 pm

Don't think you would get stabbed. It isn't lock stock and two smoking barrels.
But i think you would get laught at if you said Newcastles in an American accent.

It's as common as piss here.

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:30 pm

It's more likely a brewery related issue. Dog is made by Scottish and Newcastle breweries but is available in other pubs, however there will be other pubs run by other breweries that want you to drink their beers and so probably don't stock the broon.

The assumption would be that pub customers know when entering a premises what ales will be available depending on the brewery ownership of the pub, hence the rolling of eyes.

On the other hand, it's still rude and if i was you I would have left and gone somewhere else.

I have to say, in the UK, it's not really seen as a premium drink...it's the favourite of bikers and working men.

danzel

Post by danzel » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:31 pm

The broon dog is not as popular as you might think here... Jesmond can generally be a bit up its own arse, which would be the reason the bar you were in didn't stock it.

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:36 pm

Been drinking a lot of this over the Halloween period...9despite my protestations about real ales in previous threads)

Cold, it is a very passable beer. Was on special over halloween so I stocked up.

tasty.

Ball Sack

Post by Ball Sack » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:38 pm

danzel wrote:The broon dog is not as popular as you might think here... Jesmond can generally be a bit up its own arse, which would be the reason the bar you were in didn't stock it.

Yeah, try the pig n whistle next time you come.
You shouldnt have any trouble there..... getting the broon that is.

Guff Tong

Post by Guff Tong » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:11 pm

danzel wrote:Alreet,
good call on the broon dog Guff Tong.
Never ask for a 'newky' when drinking in the toon.
Wouldnt dream of it!!

You know, the last bottle of broon i drank in newcastle was in the officers bar at gateshead police station. (Long story!)

(I think "newky's" mainly a southern thing and for that we appologise!

Sage

Post by Sage » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:32 pm

ThrowAway wrote:Damn eurotrash lushes and your sewage water. How the hell do you drink warm beer thats as thick as Jizz?
Only certain beers are warm. Warm dog would be wrong for example.

If you can't handle thick beers, might as well cut your dick off now as you're not a real man.

Russ, I love Hobgoblin, been drinking it loads recently. :mrgreen:

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:43 pm

you fools!!!

i used to love Newcastle but then i discovered...

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:45 pm

yay - beer threads always come round to sam smiths :D

Leon Tricker

Post by Leon Tricker » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:37 pm

Newcastle Brown Ale wont actually be produced in the city for much longer. See: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/8304274.stm

As for ordering it, having lived in Newcastle for three years in the 90's I can confirm you should always call it 'dog'. This goes back to the old story of men taking the family pet for a walk as an excuse to sneak off for a quiet drink :D

NBA labels have a blue star on them that changes colour when it is at the right tempreture to drink. Also, you should only drink NBA from a half-filled glass, topping up as you drink.

Personally, I think 'real ale' is the only way to go with beer. All the mass produced lager brands taste like chemicals and water (Carling and Fosters are the worse offenders here!) Real ales have distinct characters and flavours, so the experience is always different, and usually you are supporting a smaller, independent business by drinking them.

Most of the pubs in Pompey serve at least a couple of proper ales, and have regular changes in the 'guest ales' they serve. We used to have our own local brewery down here, Gales. That was bought out by Fullers a few years back. And while Fullers is a bit like the McDonalds of breweries, some of it's beers are very drinkable. London Pride, ESB, and the old Gales ale called HSB are lovely. I have a particular soft spot for Fullers Honey Dew at the moment, which is an organic ale brewed with honey (surprise surprise!)

If I am in a bar/pub that has no real ale then I'll go for a Guinness, but nowadays a lot of places only serve 'Guinness Cold'. I think the reason behind this is it's quicker to pour, but it is SO cold that it detroys the flavour. Oh yeah, if you haven't tried it before, try a 'black velvet': half fill a chmpagne flute with Guinness and top up with champagne. Beautiful!

And let's hear it for fruit beers people!!!

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:51 pm

I was in Newcastle for two years in the 90s. Had a blast. Lucky to be alive.

ThrowAway

Post by ThrowAway » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:17 pm

Sage wrote:
ThrowAway wrote:Damn eurotrash lushes and your sewage water. How the hell do you drink warm beer thats as thick as Jizz?
Only certain beers are warm. Warm dog would be wrong for example.

If you can't handle thick beers, might as well cut your dick off now as you're not a real man.

Russ, I love Hobgoblin, been drinking it loads recently. :mrgreen:
I guess Ill start drinking the cosmos and 'tinis. My favorite way to get drunk is straight crown royal...does that earn me any uk machismo points?