Novation Sequence Pad

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nihad

Novation Sequence Pad

Post by nihad » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:10 pm

Next in line ...

http://www.nihadtule.com/images/seqpad.jpg

For your max-stepseq needs

:wink:

Suicide Server

Re: Novation Sequence Pad

Post by Suicide Server » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:29 pm

That would be pretty sexy indeed if only the sequencer functionality wouldnt be 249,- :D

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:34 pm

well, a 256 launchpad I can understand but there's no reason for novation to do that. There's already a solution to use 2 launchpads to work like a single 128 monome called Monopad. And it doesn't require max for live.

Acid303

Post by Acid303 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:04 am

Suicide Server wrote:That would be pretty sexy indeed if only the sequencer functionality wouldnt be 249,- :D
+1

It really grinds my gears how ableton boast that,

"Live users have been asking us for a step sequencer for some time. Now it's here, with some powerful features and added tweaking potential."

Live users still don't have a god damn step sequencer! A step sequencer was is all I really want but I'm not paying £250 for it.

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:23 am

Acid303 wrote:Live users still don't have a god damn step sequencer! A step sequencer was is all I really want but I'm not paying £250 for it.
Do you mean a hardware based step sequencer solution that doesn't cost more than the cost of whatever hardware that is needed? Because otherwise I'm not sure what you mean. Live does have a step sequencer mode built-in to the midi editor now but that's a software-only solution and therefore useless in my eyes. There seem to be folks coming up with step sequencer solutions for Launchpad and other grid controllers like padkontrol using convoluted setup with racks that does not require Max or purchasing any other software. But that's not an elegant solution at all. Any step sequencer solution for Live worth using should have a tactile hardware controller with visual feedback in my opinion that allows for very quick workflow and experimentation without fiddling around with a mouse. So if that can be agreed on, then the best option at the moment is to get NI Maschine. There are many deals to be found on them on ebay or craigslist for not much more than the cost of a Launchpad.

nihad

Post by nihad » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:45 am

the problem with machine is that many users (me included) are still hard wired to the TR-x0x-16step grid when making beats. i'll probably just build my own 4x16 grid out of some arduino components or something like that ... :)

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:08 am

nihad wrote:the problem with machine is that many users (me included) are still hard wired to the TR-x0x-16step grid when making beats.
What do you mean? That it does 16 steps in a 4x4 grid that moves upward is that much of a mindfuck compared to a single row of 16 moving to the right? If that's a problem, good luck with making something out of Arduino. :D Anyway, the cool thing about Maschine is that it's not limited to just 16 steps. You can set it up to be 32 or 64 steps or more and it will visually expand via the LEDs to show you the notes in the specified resolution. It allows you to see all the steps visually on the hardware even when they're longer than just 16.

nihad

Post by nihad » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:28 am

haha, yeah, i could definitely get used to machine as well, but i don't really feel i need it as a compositional tool atm ..

i'm simply more interested in making my own solutios in m4l, will see how it goes ...

Acid303

Post by Acid303 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:21 am

delicioso wrote:
Acid303 wrote:Live users still don't have a god damn step sequencer! A step sequencer was is all I really want but I'm not paying £250 for it.
Do you mean a hardware based step sequencer solution that doesn't cost more than the cost of whatever hardware that is needed? Because otherwise I'm not sure what you mean. Live does have a step sequencer mode built-in to the midi editor now but that's a software-only solution and therefore useless in my eyes. There seem to be folks coming up with step sequencer solutions for Launchpad and other grid controllers like padkontrol using convoluted setup with racks that does not require Max or purchasing any other software. But that's not an elegant solution at all. Any step sequencer solution for Live worth using should have a tactile hardware controller with visual feedback in my opinion that allows for very quick workflow and experimentation without fiddling around with a mouse. So if that can be agreed on, then the best option at the moment is to get NI Maschine. There are many deals to be found on them on ebay or craigslist for not much more than the cost of a Launchpad.
Yep, we are agreed. I'm really liking lividstep but the hardware + max4live makes it an expensive proposition http://blog.lividinstruments.com/?p=762 ... omment-811

I really can't understand why the launchpad has such a silly drum rack mode. It's not a real step sequencer and its not real velocity sensitive pads - its does neither whereas maschine does both well!

HiEnergy

Post by HiEnergy » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:56 pm

I'm using my Launchpad in "native" mode (control surface option in Live switched off).
This means the trigger buttons are plain notes intermingled with the rightmost button column.
The top row function buttons are adjacent controllers.
No 4 by 4 group note madness.

Maybe I can whack out a shiny multitrack grid sequencer thingy with random/probability/variation and all kinds of stuff using Reaktor.