OT VJ software

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
stonee

OT VJ software

Post by stonee » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:32 pm

so, I tried researching into some vj programs, thinking it would be similar to audio software, with a couple of leading programs that I could demo and pick from. in stead I found an ocean of poorly described programs that i dont really have the time or resources to demo each one...

so far, i've tried grand vj, quartonian mixer, and isodora. all are great programs, but dont quite do what i need.

here's what im looking for:

-quartz composer compatible
-decent preview bus
-midi capable
-can interact via midi with live

the workflow im looking for is select a video from a bank into the preview, select an effect, apply some modifiers(lfo, tempo sync etc) to the parameters, then mix it with the old clip.

it sounds pretty simple, but most of these programs seem to be designed for mixing music videos, or dont quite have the midi layout im looking for.
grand vj has the mixer I want, but the preview sucks, and each mixer slot doesnt seem to hold its own effects...
qaurtonian is close, but you can only do so much with a quartz composer patch. personalizing it requires program knowledge.
isodora can probably do all that I need, but seems pretty complicated. similar to quartz composer.

I'm also considering making a vj patch for max 4 live to do this, if its possible. maybe we could make a team effort and really balls it up.

any help?

Maco

Re: OT VJ software

Post by Maco » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:41 pm

Look at this http://www.artificialeyes.tv they a have an excellent program and other that is free built in max and is free ( M4L users check this program VIP5 is open to modify and can be integrated in LIVE )

Hope help you and Im in to implement VIP 5 to be usefuul in Live

stonee

Post by stonee » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:34 pm

thanks! i will check it out next chance i get!

i diddled around with grand vj some more, and have a better understanding of the mixing now. its SO CLOSE but the effect hierachy in it is messed...

i would like a master bus than hold a couple of effects to be turned on and off...

itsthejayj

Post by itsthejayj » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:47 pm

Should make you happy, made in quartz composer, audio effects are fully customisable in QC

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=130637

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:14 pm

You can also check out Modul8 - as far as I know, you can import Quartz Composer patches. It also has DMX control.

http://www.modul8.us/2009/11/modul8-26- ... e-now.html

stonee

Post by stonee » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:39 pm

modul8 looks like a pretty good program! im dl'ing the demo.

jay, what you have done is amazing! that was programed in quartz composer? im considering trying to program my own vj setup in QC, but my knowledge is fairly limitted.

stonee

Post by stonee » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:52 pm

so, i've decided that im going to program my own program in quartz.

i know the basics, but if anyone on here is fairly fluent with quartz, i would love some collabrative help!

so workflow will be very simple, pick a clip, load it into a feeder, pick your effects on the feeder, each feeder is assigned a midi fader, which mixes it to the master bus, which will also have effects on it.

effects will be tempo synced, and possibly sound reactive.

the 2 issues I face now, is a proper clip selection method, and a proper display method.

for display, i would like to feed the master bus to its own screen. i was thinking of piping it to a second QC composition so i can full screen it, while having all my parameter on the other screen.

please PM me if you want to help!

stonee

Post by stonee » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:33 pm

bump

i know theres gotta be at least a couple QC programmers here...

synnack

Post by synnack » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:08 am

MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

itsthejayj

Post by itsthejayj » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:28 am

Bro, as i mentioned before, Just Add Music 2.0 will accomplish all your QC needs. it will be part - open software callingin separate QC comps, that you will be able to tweek (Audioeffects, global modes and UI) all in Quartz Composer. The only parts you won't be able to edit is the backbone, the nightmare code that sync Live and QC together using Python, OSC and custom plugins.

By all means have a stab at making your own a/v program in QC, I just think it would be alot more fun and easier you to edit the up and coming version of JAM 2.0. That say i've been using QC since osx 10.4 and have been working as a full time QC programmer for 2 1/2 years, and i love every moment working in Quartz Composer, its a great developer app to get into.

john doe by choice

Post by john doe by choice » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:57 am

Check out VDMX:

http://www.vidvox.net/

I'm just getting into QC myself, and it looks as though published controls in QC can be manipulated in VDMX. The demos I've seen look sweet, the effects are nice, and it pretty much meets your requirements, except that it's a little pricey.

Here's a demo - you can actually see VDMX as a receiver of MIDI in Live, although the guy's english is a little rough at first.

http://vimeo.com/6527543

stonee

Post by stonee » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:33 am

itsthejayj wrote:Bro, as i mentioned before, Just Add Music 2.0 will accomplish all your QC needs. it will be part - open software callingin separate QC comps, that you will be able to tweek (Audioeffects, global modes and UI) all in Quartz Composer. The only parts you won't be able to edit is the backbone, the nightmare code that sync Live and QC together using Python, OSC and custom plugins.

By all means have a stab at making your own a/v program in QC, I just think it would be alot more fun and easier you to edit the up and coming version of JAM 2.0. That say i've been using QC since osx 10.4 and have been working as a full time QC programmer for 2 1/2 years, and i love every moment working in Quartz Composer, its a great developer app to get into.
I cant find a dl for JAM. it definatly seems to be the closest to what i need.

all the other programs and stuff have nice features and stuff, but thats almost the problem. I want something really stripped down and rediculously easy to use. something that can be used with little thought, with a minimal interface.

quartonian is SO close, and I could re program it, but i'd still have to start from the ground up.

it'd be pretty sweet learning experince as well.

the fact that its free is a bonus too, haha.