Ableton should offer and host past versions.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
beats me

Ableton should offer and host past versions.

Post by beats me » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:44 pm

They should

A) Host and make available for download every revision they've ever released for the current version that is out. There's too many "8.0.7 was great but then 8.0.9 fucked me. Does anybody have 8.0.8 they can share? That was the sweet spot." And no, I don't think you should have to store any and all revisions on your drive yourself. I see this costing them near to nothing. If this already exists then feel free to call me a racist.

B) Sell past versions of Live. Maybe not all of them, but maybe the previous 3 versions from the present version. They could sell them at a cheaper price and do competitive upgrade discounts. They have nothing but $$ to gain from this. Existing software downloads are close to zero overhead. At the bare minimum offer the previous version from the current until they're close to done in the debugging process and well on their way to releasing the new version.

C) Bring back the hoodie

Thank you.

Tone Deft

Re: Ableton should offer and host past versions.

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:47 pm

B - http://www.ableton.com/latest_versions

C - why? I already have one.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:55 pm

Unless I am misreading something, that link you posted looks like it only downloads the current revision.

What if I want 8.0.2, and 8.0.4, and 8.0.7, and 8.0.9 while I'm at it?

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:00 am

I misread and edited.

in my experience the philosophy is that the latest version is the best. ask the thousands of users that have problems they won't agree. ask a software developer, that's what they'd say. I go round and round with the software guys I work with on f-ing philosophies of software releases. I agree but from personal experience, that whole topic is debatable.

someone that deletes a version that works while upgrading to the latest release hasn't learned that lesson yet. common sense.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:57 am

Man, ever want to have a well thought out conversation about something on the Internet, but then you eat a big dinner and no longer have the strength or stamina to do so?

That's what I'm having right now.

elxicano

Post by elxicano » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:20 am

Tone Deft wrote:I misread and edited.

in my experience the philosophy is that the latest version is the best. ask the thousands of users that have problems they won't agree. ask a software developer, that's what they'd say. I go round and round with the software guys I work with on f-ing philosophies of software releases. I agree but from personal experience, that whole topic is debatable.

someone that deletes a version that works while upgrading to the latest release hasn't learned that lesson yet. common sense.
I do have to agree with that last statement!

But I won't go as far to agree with the same philosophy. These updates from Live this year have been hit and miss. With each release it seems they fix some bugs and they also create new ones.

I haven't even downloaded the 8.1 update because there's been more than a few issues mentioned already, plus my understanding was the 8.1 release was mainly for adding Max For Live, which I don't own YET.

I figure 8.1.1 will be the best bet... but even then, like Tone mentioned... DON'T DELETE THE PREVIOUS VERSION! If your version works, then don't delete!!

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:42 am

I just thought of a real obvious reason why they shouldn't do my first point. With every revision freely available people are going to start posting on this forum and sending out emails to support about bugs and issues that have already been addressed in later revisions. That would not be good. That would also take time and space away from the many OT threads on the forum.

duncanish

Post by duncanish » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:58 am

just "upgraded " to 8.1 half of my projects unworkable. Super delays, eberything is frozen I need 8.09 where can I find it.?

elxicano

Post by elxicano » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:59 am

beats me wrote:I just thought of a real obvious reason why they shouldn't do my first point. With every revision freely available people are going to start posting on this forum and sending out emails to support about bugs and issues that have already been addressed in later revisions. That would not be good. That would also take time and space away from the many OT threads on the forum.

:lol: You mean we'd actually have to talk about thing related to Live on the Ableton forum?

I do think they should include the previous version (at least 1 level below the latest release). I think it would help people out. Hell, a disclaimer could even be added, stating that only the latest version is supported for bug fixes and feature requests.

sherman

Post by sherman » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:11 am

You all skipped over the most important point of the OP.

Bring back the hoodie! :D
--sherman

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:47 am

Isn't there a way of doing this just by changing the version number in the down load link?
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:32 am

I always keep my Live installers.

I never delete my older version until I know the update works ok.

Abe hoodies make you look fat.

leonard

Post by leonard » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:42 am

I'm on live 6.
i just logged on to my "user account"
i can download all the versions i have paid for.

if someone jumps in at live 8, i guess i can see your point.
???

leonard

Post by leonard » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:43 am

rebecca has hot tits.
???

steff3

Post by steff3 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:02 am

1) economically it most likely does neither make sense to host them nor to sell them - if the sell they would need to support it further.

2) It is in the responsibility of every computer user to manage its backups ....

3) those 'live 8.03 was great and 0.07 broke everything' most often and most likely does not express the experience of the majority and might be not at all reproducible on any other system than on that of the poster.

IMHO they should concentrate on fixing bucks in the latest version (and maybe a previous version if it is a severe bug like they did lately with 7.18 update or so and they did not for version 5 years ago when they released version 6 .... - but it seems they learned from that :wink: ) and get live 8.1 with M4L up to speed as it currently is not a nice experience at all ...

best