Tunning Synths

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
mja

Tunning Synths

Post by mja » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:45 pm

Am I the only person who finds it really difficult to tune a bass patch proberly..

I could spend an hour fucking about with the detune and octave of a patch, and I still wouldn`t be happy with the results.

I`ve finished loads of tracks,but I can honestly say that I have never been happy with any of the basslines I`ve created using plugins.

Does anybody have any wise words for me before I drive myself insane ??

Ed J

Re: Tunning Synths

Post by Ed J » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:49 pm

Join the club.

Look at it this way: If you're ever genuinely happy with something you've done, you've lost, because you won't be spured on to try harder the next time, and the next.

Well, that or you're just shit ;)

I always find that I'm happier with my basslines when they're low in the mix, have a decent punchy envelope, and have a HP filter somewhere around the kick drum freq. Oh, and no detune/multivoice, it seems to make it munch into the space of the lead. Depends what you're trying to do though!
Some stuff, and some other stuff. Honest.
Currently on a huge and mostly pointless promotion drive, come play:
Soundcloud!
Facebook!!
Twatter!!!

Suicide Server

Post by Suicide Server » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:27 pm

What helps a lot in my opinion is to get a decent hardware synth. There is nothing wrong with all those nice plugins and controllers these days but its still not the same like creating a new sound on lets say a Clavia Nord Lead 2 for example. This helped me a lot to understand how to get what i want.

Cheers

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:34 pm

Layer multiple bass sounds.

Moody

Post by Moody » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:39 pm

Befriend a bass player.
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.