"How to write beats" help me spread it around...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
COSM

"How to write beats" help me spread it around...

Post by COSM » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:59 pm

I've just put up the first two hours of a ten hour long video series on how to produce electronic music with Ableton Live, from absolute scratch.

Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix2IErEHa7A
Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m0bzKa966Y

The other parts are available for pro members for now, but will be uploaded eventually to youtube until they are all up there for free.

It's probably a little bit too basic for most of you guys as it was designed with the complete beginner in mind.

If you could be so kind, next time you find a noob looking for some direction, and if you think the content I produce is what they are looking for, remember throw them over my way.

Here's the guff from the series.

All aspects are covered.... basic and advanced synthesis... sampling... progression... mixing... everything is explained in depth as I construct a tune while you watch. I talk to you like your sitting next to me, thinking out loud, cracking jokes and moving at the right pace, rather than focusing on boring shit.

My goal is to get you producing good music as fast as possible.

http://www.cosm.co.nz/learn

Cheers Maties!

-Tom

dj_huck

Re: "How to write beats" help me spread it around...

Post by dj_huck » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:48 am

thanks will watch them at some point.

Cool Character

Post by Cool Character » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:31 am

You're a cool duder.
8)

smutek

Post by smutek » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:03 am

Hey Tom - you've got a PM

theque

Post by theque » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:09 am

thanks tom, i always enjoy your vids.

Valery_Kondakoff

Post by Valery_Kondakoff » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:12 am

Part 2. question: what are the reasons you are using the Utility-Gain for ducking the sub-bass in your tutorial instead of just using the Track Volume (Mixer-Track Volume) or maybe Simpler-Volume. Is the Utility-Gain less CPU consuming in some way?

Thank you!
Last edited by Valery_Kondakoff on Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
CU
VK

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:15 am

*sticky*

curious... will check this out when I'm awake... thanks none the less. always 8) to share knowledge.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:30 am

Valery_Kondakoff wrote:Part 2. question: what are the reasons you are using the Utility-Gain for ducking the sub-bass in your tutorial instead of just using the Track Volume (Mixer-Track Volume) or maybe Simpler-Volume. Is the Utility-Gain less CPU consuming in some way?

Thank you!
Without actually watching the vid, I would reckon it's so you can still adjust the volume of the track using the faders without having to fart around with any automation you've already written.

COSM

Post by COSM » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:24 am

timothyallan wrote:
Valery_Kondakoff wrote:Part 2. question: what are the reasons you are using the Utility-Gain for ducking the sub-bass in your tutorial instead of just using the Track Volume (Mixer-Track Volume) or maybe Simpler-Volume. Is the Utility-Gain less CPU consuming in some way?

Thank you!
Without actually watching the vid, I would reckon it's so you can still adjust the volume of the track using the faders without having to fart around with any automation you've already written.
Spot on, Also... everything is stretched out in the videos. I could have just used side chaining, but I think its more interesting if the entire process is laid out in front of you, for learning purposes anyway!

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:32 am

the videos are awesome. spend my whole last saturday watching all of them. it's really great work.
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.