roland tr style sequencing in live?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
chris_in_london

roland tr style sequencing in live?

Post by chris_in_london » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:01 am

are there any plug-ins or live tricks that can do this? i currently use an Akai MPD32 to build my drum sequences. it's good, but i miss the ability to have a single button assigned to each step, and be able to turn them on/off in real time.

The D16 drum machines (Nepheton/Drumazon) and the Audio Realism ADM both have roland-style pattern sequencing, but neither can be programmed via midi. in the ADM forum, the developers suggested that they *might* add midi-mappable step-buttons, but that was ages ago, and nothing has happened.

anyone got any ideas? i need this! can the step-sequencer in Live 8 be programmed in realtime?

Slightlydelic

Re: roland tr style sequencing in live?

Post by Slightlydelic » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:09 am

chris, download this file.

http://www.mediafire.com/?awydn3wuw3j

its a step sequencer i made for the APC.

it will easily modify to work with anything that has buttons.

first delete everything except the very first sequence called bass sequence.

enter the track, open the device go to the chain view, each of the 16 chains has has a midi pitch plugin, delete all of these.

next go into midi map mode and map the mute buttons on the chains to the pads on your MPD, you now have step on & off output.

now drop a midi pitch plugin before the rack and map a knob to control it.

next create a new midi track, drop in a drum rack, then set the midi to of the sequencer track to go to the track containing your drum rack.

you now have a single chanel of 16 step sequencing controled by your pads, use the midi pitch plugin you asigned to a knob, to dial into the drum rack for whichever sound you want.

you can record the output into the track containg the drum rack your option is to lay down the drums 1 sound at a time. and midi overdub each new sound/patern

or if your mpd has banks giving you more virtual pads, then you can just duplicate the sequencer track to match however many banks you have, and just remap the mute buttons to match each bank. if you do that, its probably wrth dialing in the Midi pitch plugin to the sound you want manualy so remove the maping, or dont map it in the first place.

let me know if you give it a go and how it works out for you.

chris_in_london

Post by chris_in_london » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:26 am

this sounds great. is it possible to bounce-down sequences made with your set-up into regular midi clips?

Slightlydelic

Post by Slightlydelic » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:51 am

chris_in_london wrote:this sounds great. is it possible to bounce-down sequences made with your set-up into regular midi clips?

yes just record into the track that contains the drum rack or whatever syth you use, if you just use the one sequencer change the midi pitch to dial into the sound you want next, then overdub it.

if you duplicate the sequnce to get more than one sound going at once then just make sure each sequence outputs it midi to the track containing the drum rack/synth and it will record everything into the same clip.
you will be recording the midi,

if you want to record an audio output and make loops just add a audio track, set it to recieve audio from the track containg you drum rack/synth.

i forgot to mention when youve set it up just press play on the first clip, if youve duplicated the sequencer track, use scene launch to launch all the first clips at the same time, so eveyting syncs up.

PS dont mess inside the clips. keep them all on c3 and transpose them to where you need them with the midi pitch plugin.

Slightlydelic

Post by Slightlydelic » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:59 am

i just looked at a pic of the mpd and notice you have rotaries and sliders.

you can use the same sequence for creating musical stuff as well, just go into each chain and remap the note length to a rotary and pitch to a fader.

if they bank then you can have 16 steps, if not, just delete the last 8 clips in the sequence and also the last 8 chains.

chris_in_london

Post by chris_in_london » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:04 pm

thanks again - can't wait to try this out tonight

beatpoet

Post by beatpoet » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:21 pm

If you can get you hands on a monome, launchpad or nonome,check out obo in the monome suite.

http://stretta.blogspot.com/2009/12/max ... eased.html

Fantastic set of plugins for Live. Really integrates the monome apps into the Live setup.

niknfa

Post by niknfa » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:06 am

Mate.... can I just say THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this little step sequencing setup - it's just what I've been looking high and low for for such a long time.

Basically I've been wanting to put a step seq on my Lemur patch for my improvised setup .
I've tried ones which sync through Max, the timing on the Lemur itself is too low-resolution and I've tried the excellent Era VST, which you can MIDI enable each step with.
The problem with that VST was it got confused when trying to multiple channels of drums, at least from the Lemur.

Yours works a treat - there always something you can do with racks that I never quite think of.

Thanks again!
Nick Ronin

Slightlydelic

Post by Slightlydelic » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:14 pm

hey Nick im glad your finding it usefull, thanks for the feedback. The racks and routing pssabilities in live are very powerfull, particularly if your looking to run live with specific funtionality rather than as a full start to finish production environment. it can get messy with the amount of tracks and devices needed, but most things seem to be dooable one way or another.