Charlie May from Spooky bags the Ableton Sound Engine

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
henke
Posts: 258
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:36 am

Re: Charlie May from Spooky bags the Ableton Sound Engine

Post by henke » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:26 pm

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggggggggggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tone Deft
Posts: 23565
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm
Location: SF, CA

Re: Charlie May from Spooky bags the Ableton Sound Engine

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:26 pm

SubFunk wrote:to be honest, i really don't want to get involved into this discussion, because i think it's pointless from A-Z,
but answer is no. all it proves is that 1 +1 is 2 and 1 - 1 is 0, now what? does 2 or 0 sound better?

but prove what you want.

or go and make music.
what is a DAW at it's heart? it's a way to record a signal, add it to other signals and play them back together. 1 + 1 = 2.

when it comes to designing a reverb or a distortion plug in, then I completely agree, tune it by ear. but a DAW itself records numbers and spits those exact same numbers out. if it spits out different numbers, that's distortion, a loss of fidelity, a loss of quality.
oddstep wrote:I agree with all of this. I'm just bored of writing "its music, just listen and trust your judgement"

McQ714
Posts: 1851
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Charlie May from Spooky bags the Ableton Sound Engine

Post by McQ714 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:27 pm

SubFunk wrote:to be honest, i really don't want to get involved into this discussion, because i think it's pointless from A-Z,
but answer is no. all it proves is that 1 +1 is 2 and 1 - 1 is 0, now what? does 2 or 0 sound better?

but prove what you want.

or go and make music.

there is no "2" in binary. so 1 + 1 = 10. see, you're learning something here. go you!!!

leedsquietman
Posts: 6659
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:56 am
Location: greater toronto area

Re: Charlie May from Spooky bags the Ableton Sound Engine

Post by leedsquietman » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:28 pm

I'm still waiting to hear some 'looser' music or get links ... :mrgreen:
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

SubFunk
Posts: 7853
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:41 pm
Location: A Big Toilet Called Berlin
Contact:

Re: Charlie May from Spooky bags the Ableton Sound Engine

Post by SubFunk » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:33 pm

McQ714 wrote:
SubFunk wrote:to be honest, i really don't want to get involved into this discussion, because i think it's pointless from A-Z,
but answer is no. all it proves is that 1 +1 is 2 and 1 - 1 is 0, now what? does 2 or 0 sound better?

but prove what you want.

or go and make music.

there is no "2" in binary. so 1 + 1 = 10. see, you're learning something here. go you!!!
LOL, ah... digital i forgot, noise floors i forgot, THD i forgot... what else did i forgot? hmmm... cables? ah yeah making music i forgot.
sorry i am trolling, i got drawn into it and having fun mucking about, it's like throwing a ball and all the dogs run...

sorry folks, i trolled, it's to much of a laugh.
*** Image GAFM ***

Tone Deft
Posts: 23565
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm
Location: SF, CA

Re: Charlie May from Spooky bags the Ableton Sound Engine

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:36 pm

SubFunk wrote:sorry folks, i trolled, it's to much of a laugh.
:lol: yes it is.
oddstep wrote:I agree with all of this. I'm just bored of writing "its music, just listen and trust your judgement"

crumhorn
Posts: 2503
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:04 pm

Re: Charlie May from Spooky bags the Ableton Sound Engine

Post by crumhorn » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:36 pm

And Jesus wept.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

Tone Deft
Posts: 23565
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm
Location: SF, CA

Re: Charlie May from Spooky bags the Ableton Sound Engine

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:38 pm

:lol:

Image
oddstep wrote:I agree with all of this. I'm just bored of writing "its music, just listen and trust your judgement"

ethios4
Posts: 5377
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2003 6:28 am

Re: Charlie May from Spooky bags the Ableton Sound Engine

Post by ethios4 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:45 pm

Great, now Robert's broken!

kb420
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:35 am
Location: Cydonia on the 4th Planet

Re: Charlie May from Spooky bags the Ableton Sound Engine

Post by kb420 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:50 pm

henke wrote:aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggggggggggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Image
H20nly wrote:fuck Bitwig.

fisto
Posts: 354
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:06 pm

Re: Charlie May from Spooky bags the Ableton Sound Engine

Post by fisto » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:43 am

McQ714 wrote:
fisto wrote:Dont shout at me, test it out for yourself!
8)

Go back to the Cockos forums, Fisto!

that isn't even what the discussion is about here. nobody's talking about CPU usage of anything.
he dude I'm a Live-fan absolutely, can't you read? I started using reaper only few days ago, and just wanted to let you know about my expereince, because you dudes write: "any experiences?". Then someone comes in and says something about it and what do you do? You say go away. Thats some childish behavior.
And you are such a genius: isn't the AUDIO ENGINE also something which interacts with your audio-hardware?
YES IT IS. So the high cpu-use comes from the bad interaction with the hardware, which also means BAD ENGINE!
Simple as that! Period!
It's like when you have a smoker and you tell him smoking is not healthy, but he says, it must be healthy cause I like it!!

Machinesworking
Posts: 11102
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:30 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Charlie May from Spooky bags the Ableton Sound Engine

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:26 am

fisto wrote: I started using reaper only few days ago, and just wanted to let you know about my expereince, because you dudes write: "any experiences?". Then someone comes in and says something about it and what do you do? You say go away. Thats some childish behavior.
And you are such a genius: isn't the AUDIO ENGINE also something which interacts with your audio-hardware?
YES IT IS. So the high cpu-use comes from the bad interaction with the hardware, which also means BAD ENGINE!
Simple as that! Period!
It's like when you have a smoker and you tell him smoking is not healthy, but he says, it must be healthy cause I like it!!
Your jumping to conlusions that simply aren't true at all.
Live's high CPU is due from what audio software developrers have told me is a result of
it's live performance oriented engine.
Most other software isn't at all meant for performance and would choke if put through the paces
Live goes through. CPU efficiency in no way equals a better sounding DAW, that's awful logic.

nathannn
Posts: 3310
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:38 am
Location: U.S.

Re: Charlie May from Spooky bags the Ableton Sound Engine

Post by nathannn » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:05 pm

after using the demo of u-he's new synth, i realized, there has NEVER been a quality analog modeling synth until now.
for years i would read owners of analog synths saying "soft synths sound thin or they don't sound analog at all",
and now i agree with them. after using this synth i cant go back to using the others. the difference in sound quality is huge.
so now im wondering, if people that are saying they can hear a difference in lives audio engine are not telling the truth?
why would so many people say this if it was not true?
i don't hear a difference now but, that does not mean i wont hear one in the future if i am ever presented with a better comparison.
maybe we don't hear anything wrong with live because we use it so much and are used to it?


try telling hardcore reason users that the synths in reason are all aliasing.
they will tell you bullshit like "its not possible for humans to hear that"
but almost any non hardcore reason user can hear it.

ok.. so all that said.
i don't hear a difference between live and others like pro tools .
but i have never made a song 100 percent outside of live either.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

xyandrej
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:24 pm

Re: Charlie May from Spooky bags the Ableton Sound Engine

Post by xyandrej » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:56 pm

I worked in a music store for a year and I tested all sequencers like Logic, Sonar, Cubase...
I use live for all my production of Techno and Tech House cause its just a great tool but when it comes to mixing
down I either mix the individual files down in Sonar using the uad 2 plugs or I send them out into my TL Fat Track for summing,
and the result is much better, really. The Audio Engine of Live isnt bad but it could be better.
So why don´t you fucking haters around here get the point. We are just trying to improve Ableton which will be good for all of us.

Hey leedsquietman and McQ714

you can check out my tracks on myspace/shabuvibes

All of it mixdown in ableton but summed up in the fat track.

peace! :)

BinaryB
Posts: 1016
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:04 am
Location: Sydney / SanFrancisco

Re: Charlie May from Spooky bags the Ableton Sound Engine

Post by BinaryB » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:48 pm

gomi wrote:
mlee_aus wrote:In Computer Music 142 Charlie May of Spooky, who works with Sasha, notes that he has to bounce everythin out of Ableton Live and bring it into logic because "the summing engine just doesn't sound as good" This is like computer music mag is from August 2009 and is the drum and bass special.

You have to admit a lot of pros make this complaint. It's like non stop, almost makes you wonder.


most people wont be able to hear the difference in the summing until they are in a very good room with
very very good equipment.


your home studio, you can't tell.


truth.


that said, when i was working in a post production place with multiple Protools HD rigs in perfectly tuned
rooms the stuff out of protools sounds a LOT better then straight out of Live.. and this is through the
SAME gear..


to each his own.
not on this forum :lol:

Live ROX but this aint the place to analyse it properly.
Live8 & Serato
Download NYE'08 DJset

Post Reply