coffee drinkers ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Machinesworking

Re: coffee drinkers ?

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:29 am

hps909 wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:I use a regular coffee maker with a paper filter. Apparently paper filters are better health wise than other methods. Occasionally French Pressed as well.
Organic French Roast, the brand is whatever is on sale at the moment so roughly $9 a pound. Black is the only way. An 8 cup pot a day.
i really dont get perculated coffee it's the most feral form of coffee on the planet .. plunger (french press) coffee isn't much better it really is a step down from instant ..
Do you drink your coffee with garbage in it? You know the usual? steamed milk, cream, sugar, honey etc?
I don't, I drink four to eight cups a day black. I like espresso shots for sure. but I'm not making 8 espressos a day and I'm certainly not paying some barista to make it for me. After years of espressos and lattes I realized that what I really liked was the taste of coffee, and not a thimble sized bit in a shot glass. There is nothing wrong with drip coffee if you use decent beans, and it's been shown to have health benefits.
Also this:
H20nly wrote: being able to drink coffee that isn't prepared to exacting specifications using the most advanced coffee making equipment on the planet also means that i don't feel like a total asshole when nothing else is available and i'm offered a cup.
Without the lame part about children he tagged on to the end.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:38 pm

rozling wrote:I don't get spamming the thread with LMAO U GIZE R SUCH IDIOTZ posts. The last two or three pages have been people making it fairly plain (in a painfully unfunny way) that you aren't into coffee. You know what, this might not be the thread for you. If you don't want it bumped don't post in it.
:? either i don't see the part where these people (myself included) aren't into coffee, personally i love it, or you're a little too into coffee. to put it another way; i don't see any 'LMAO U GIZE R SUCH IDIOTZ posts'. even if there is a post like that, i definitely am not seeing 2 or 3 pages of them. so where is all this frustration of yours coming from?

or, to put it another way, who pissed in your coffee?

rozling

Post by rozling » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:10 pm

either i don't see the part where these people (myself included) aren't into coffee, personally i love it, or you're a little too into coffee.
Really not sure what you mean here.

What has me frustrated is:
1. Loops' comment about the thread being OT (IMO coffee can be a valuable production tool - I'm only half joking)

2. Pretty much every pearl of wisdom ian_halsall has chosen to share bar his first post or two, particularly this blatantly xenophobic:
ian_halsall wrote:
Psychoactive_Music wrote:I wonder if any famous people use coffee machines...?
I bet Elton John has one
3. Your post about convenience store coffees which I interpret thusly:
H20nly wrote:i frequently (but not always) buy coffee at 7/11. i'm glad that i am not so obsessed that i canot do this. it's convenient. hence the name "convenience store".
^ are you trying to tell me this isn't taking a shot at those that have posted here about gourmet shit?
being able to drink coffee that isn't prepared to exacting specifications using the most advanced coffee making equipment on the planet also means that i don't feel like a total asshole when nothing else is available and i'm offered a cup.
Again, this just sounds fucking condascending.
Answer: well that depends; how was it made, what kind of beans where used and were any poor children harmed in the harvesting of those beans?
What you are basically saying here is that people who take an interest in these things are assholes.

david.barker

Post by david.barker » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:44 pm

Im not going to get involved too much

But coffee for me is an essential tool in music production,as it keeps me awake into the small hrs,lol :D
(that is when I'm off and not working shifts)

But seriously I have a DeLonghi filter machine,I use ground fresh coffee,fairly strong.

I dont buy rubbish coffee.that is all ,ha,ha :D

Oh Happy New Year btw
Last edited by david.barker on Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dell Optilplex 9010,Windows Pro 10 10 64 bit .16GB ram, Intel i5 3570 chip,@ 3'40GHz 4 cores
1TB SSD main drive, external drive 6TB SSD for various Kontakt libraries

https://soundcloud.com/ambientdavemusic

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:45 pm

rozling wrote:
either i don't see the part where these people (myself included) aren't into coffee, personally i love it, or you're a little too into coffee.
Really not sure what you mean here.

What has me frustrated is:
1. Loops' comment about the thread being OT (IMO coffee can be a valuable production tool - I'm only half joking)

2. Pretty much every pearl of wisdom ian_halsall has chosen to share bar his first post or two, particularly this blatantly xenophobic:
ian_halsall wrote:
Psychoactive_Music wrote:I wonder if any famous people use coffee machines...?
I bet Elton John has one
3. Your post about convenience store coffees which I interpret thusly:
H20nly wrote:i frequently (but not always) buy coffee at 7/11. i'm glad that i am not so obsessed that i canot do this. it's convenient. hence the name "convenience store".
^ are you trying to tell me this isn't taking a shot at those that have posted here about gourmet shit?
being able to drink coffee that isn't prepared to exacting specifications using the most advanced coffee making equipment on the planet also means that i don't feel like a total asshole when nothing else is available and i'm offered a cup.
Again, this just sounds fucking condascending.
Answer: well that depends; how was it made, what kind of beans where used and were any poor children harmed in the harvesting of those beans?
What you are basically saying here is that people who take an interest in these things are assholes.
Why xenophobic?

Check the meaning and where I come from - tithead.

rozling

Post by rozling » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:06 pm

Please elaborate then?

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:18 pm

A xenophobe is someone that hates people from other countries - I am from Great Britain and so is Elton John.

I assume that you were referring to this comment since you quoted it.

Anyway - if people post about coffee then they can expect a certain amount of stupid answers.

When people post with real questions I try to help out whenever I can like a lot of other people have helped me.

If people post things which are a bit daft then I and many others are going to quite rightly take the piss - if I post something daft (and of course I do) then one gets what's coming....

rozling

Post by rozling » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:55 pm

Your definition of 'xenophobe' is selective as is your definition of 'real threads' and 'things which are a bit daft'.

Please don't play dumb - we all know exactly what I'm referring to. I'll spell it out: that comment, in the context of what you had written before, reeks of anti-gay sentiment.

Maybe consider for a moment that everybody doesn't share your simplistic view of the world.

Granted it's a fine line; bringing peoples' sexuality into question in a playful manner is and will always be a source of humour for those of all preferences. There's been endless back-and-forth in the past on this forum. I do think your comment crossed the line though.

Regarding the thread itself, it's one thing to be a bit jokey, we're all (mostly) big boys and girls here. It's another to consistently piss on a thread just because you think the subject matter is invalid. Lots of posters contributed great answers to this topic quite some time before you joined the forum without feeling the need to take the piss.
The Community Guidelines wrote: Our goal is to have this forum be a hub for interesting and valuable conversation

<snip>

Respect Conversations
When entering a thread, please pay attention to what the conversation is about, and stick to the topic at hand. Feel free to start a discussion for a new topic if you can’t find it after searching through previous posts: search.php

Keep your cool
Please avoid trolling, spamming, flaming, and bullying. If you’ve said your piece, don’t keep posting it in the hope of reaching a new audience.
I wanted to talk about coffee with people knowing how OCD musicians can be about things like this (in a good way), so I searched for and found a thread about it. It happened to be created before The Lounge existed so it got bumped here. That's not my problem.

There is a 69 page thread on PDC here. I don't particularly care about that topic. You might say I think it's a bit 'daft' and I don't think people should waste their time worrying about it. And you know what? I've never looked at or posted in it.

If you think coffee is not a 'real' topic to discuss, or is 'daft', then don't post in the thread. And at least leave the trolling/baiting to those with more imagination.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:59 pm

i think you're being a little overly sensitive. the thread is titled 'coffee drinkers?'... am i not a coffee drinker if i am open to having coffee from a convenience store? if not, then maybe the thread should be called 'coffee snobs?' or 'coffee eccentrics?'.

i don't eat pork. so when i go to someone's house and they proudly tell me what a fanfuckintastic job they have done preparing a ham for dinner... i feel like an asshole if i say to them, "but i don't eat pork". so much so that in some cases i will either quietly avoid the pork or i will actually just eat a little as a matter of consideration for my host - rather than bursting their bubble outright with a message that fundamentally says - your food is beneath me.

so, by contrast, if someone asks me if i would like a cup of coffee and i turn it down because it doesn't meet my exacting specifications of what i think coffee should be... then what does that make me? at the very least it makes me finicky. it makes me feel like an asshole though. it just does. still, the fact remains, i really likes Peet's coffee, but i'll drink Folgers.

you see, this is what makes me a real coffee drinker... the ability to drink coffee... not the ability to limit myself to only drinking gourmet coffee that is prepared according to my personal checklist of prerequisites.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:28 pm

A suggestion for people in general on coffee, buy organic!
It will maybe take you a while to find a brand you like, but IMO you don't want the chemicals and coffee is picked by hand.
Some person picks each freaking bean! So if they aren't wading through whatever version of DDT they spray now it's a good thing for you and them.
Plus unlike a lot of organic stuff, organic coffee and gourmet brands are about the same cost. Also not saying that organic companies are all super cool, but it's far more likely that they will be, so the minimum wage worker may have some basic things like a good benefit package etc.

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:19 pm

"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:27 pm

rozling wrote:Your definition of 'xenophobe' is selective as is your definition of 'real threads' and 'things which are a bit daft'.

Please don't play dumb - we all know exactly what I'm referring to. I'll spell it out: that comment, in the context of what you had written before, reeks of anti-gay sentiment.

Maybe consider for a moment that everybody doesn't share your simplistic view of the world.

Granted it's a fine line; bringing peoples' sexuality into question in a playful manner is and will always be a source of humour for those of all preferences. There's been endless back-and-forth in the past on this forum. I do think your comment crossed the line though.

Regarding the thread itself, it's one thing to be a bit jokey, we're all (mostly) big boys and girls here. It's another to consistently piss on a thread just because you think the subject matter is invalid. Lots of posters contributed great answers to this topic quite some time before you joined the forum without feeling the need to take the piss.
The Community Guidelines wrote: Our goal is to have this forum be a hub for interesting and valuable conversation

<snip>

Respect Conversations
When entering a thread, please pay attention to what the conversation is about, and stick to the topic at hand. Feel free to start a discussion for a new topic if you can’t find it after searching through previous posts: search.php

Keep your cool
Please avoid trolling, spamming, flaming, and bullying. If you’ve said your piece, don’t keep posting it in the hope of reaching a new audience.
I wanted to talk about coffee with people knowing how OCD musicians can be about things like this (in a good way), so I searched for and found a thread about it. It happened to be created before The Lounge existed so it got bumped here. That's not my problem.

There is a 69 page thread on PDC here. I don't particularly care about that topic. You might say I think it's a bit 'daft' and I don't think people should waste their time worrying about it. And you know what? I've never looked at or posted in it.

If you think coffee is not a 'real' topic to discuss, or is 'daft', then don't post in the thread. And at least leave the trolling/baiting to those with more imagination.
You've blown a gasket mate.

cpyatak

Post by cpyatak » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:38 pm

Machinesworking wrote:A suggestion for people in general on coffee, buy organic!
It will maybe take you a while to find a brand you like, but IMO you don't want the chemicals and coffee is picked by hand.
Some person picks each freaking bean! So if they aren't wading through whatever version of DDT they spray now it's a good thing for you and them.
Plus unlike a lot of organic stuff, organic coffee and gourmet brands are about the same cost. Also not saying that organic companies are all super cool, but it's far more likely that they will be, so the minimum wage worker may have some basic things like a good benefit package etc.
This is not completely true. My profession is a specialty coffee roaster and wholesaler for a very small operation in Vermont. I've been working in the specialty coffee business since 1998. I've been to source farms throughout Central America on multiple occasions, one of which was a six week field study into the relative merits of Conventional / Organic / Fair Trade coffee farming practices. What I found was surprising.

You are absolutely right that the biggest issue around Organic Coffee is the health of the workers who pick the coffee and work the trees, and the land and environment itself. Because of the processing that coffee goes through before it gets into your cup there is little to no health benefit in drinking Organic over Conventional. However, what I found so interesting and surprising is that if you are drinking really good specialty coffee most of this is coming from small farms, in many cases single family farms (often pooled together at processing with coffee from other farms to create a "regional coffee," ie Guatemalan Antigua). These small farmers are often prevented from achieving Organic Certification because of the cost of the certification itself -- it's way more expensive than the increased price per pound it fetches at Market (The "C"). As a result it is a net loss for many small farmers to obtain the Organic Certification. But the other interesting part is that these small farmers are NOT using chemical fertilizers and pesticides either, which are also expensive. There is a great deal of composting that is done, and in addition because coffee yields one crop per year these farmers are diversified into other agriculture such as macadamia, fast growing firewood (Chaul), Bananas in some cases, and Mangoes and so forth. These other trees provide shade and equal dispersion of rainfall required for by high elevation, higher quality Arabica coffee trees, in addition to more diverse revenue streams for small farmers.

My point is, do not assume that because a coffee is not Certified Organic that it is laden with pesticides and killing the land and the workers who pick it.

There are lots of AMAZING coffees out there. If you can, and if it matters to you, try to find one you like that is a single origin, preferably from a small farm.

Other notes:
Coffee is the second most traded commodity in the world after Petroleum. It's worth taking a look and knowing where it comes from.

My preferred brewing method:
Melita pour-over. Not too fine a grind, the natural sugars and sweetness come out best with a courser grind (obviously this does not apply to espresso, but grind is equally important with esp for different reasons). Heat water to 202 degrees, pour over grinds and let sit for 20-30 seconds to "prime" the coffee and get it ready for extraction. Water should be 198 degrees while brewing.

Most important:
Drink coffee the way you like it.

Cheers

Chris

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:40 pm

cpyatak wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:A suggestion for people in general on coffee, buy organic!
This is not completely true. My profession is a specialty coffee roaster and wholesaler for a very small operation in Vermont. I've been working in the specialty coffee business since 1998. I've been to source farms throughout Central America on multiple occasions, one of which was a six week field study into the relative merits of Conventional / Organic / Fair Trade coffee farming practices. What I found was surprising.

You are absolutely right that the biggest issue around Organic Coffee is the health of the workers who pick the coffee and work the trees, and the land and environment itself. Because of the processing that coffee goes through before it gets into your cup there is little to no health benefit in drinking Organic over Conventional. However, what I found so interesting and surprising is that if you are drinking really good specialty coffee most of this is coming from small farms, in many cases single family farms (often pooled together at processing with coffee from other farms to create a "regional coffee," ie Guatemalan Antigua). These small farmers are often prevented from achieving Organic Certification because of the cost of the certification itself -- it's way more expensive than the increased price per pound it fetches at Market (The "C"). As a result it is a net loss for many small farmers to obtain the Organic Certification. But the other interesting part is that these small farmers are NOT using chemical fertilizers and pesticides either, which are also expensive. There is a great deal of composting that is done, and in addition because coffee yields one crop per year these farmers are diversified into other agriculture such as macadamia, fast growing firewood (Chaul), Bananas in some cases, and Mangoes and so forth. These other trees provide shade and equal dispersion of rainfall required for by high elevation, higher quality Arabica coffee trees, in addition to more diverse revenue streams for small farmers.

My point is, do not assume that because a coffee is not Certified Organic that it is laden with pesticides and killing the land and the workers who pick it.

There are lots of AMAZING coffees out there. If you can, and if it matters to you, try to find one you like that is a single origin, preferably from a small farm.

Other notes:
Coffee is the second most traded commodity in the world after Petroleum. It's worth taking a look and knowing where it comes from.

Melita pour-over. Not too fine a grind, the natural sugars and sweetness come out best with a courser grind (obviously this does not apply to espresso, but grind is equally important with esp for different reasons). Heat water to 202 degrees, pour over grinds and let sit for 20-30 seconds to "prime" the coffee and get it ready for extraction. Water should be 198 degrees while brewing.

Most important:

Cheers

Chris
This is getting funnier and funnier - are people really taking this seriously?

I am wetting myself here - this is the funniest thing I have seen in 3 ages.

Fcuking classic

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:50 pm

cpyatak wrote:

Other notes:

Most important:

Cheers

Chris
what's a "courser grinder" someone one E chasing a greyhound?