If Live 8 was released today at its current build...

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
julienb

Re: If Live 8 was released today at its current build...

Post by julienb » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:13 pm

SubFunk wrote:
julienb wrote:3rd party is the problem.
you hear that over and over again... but it's not an excuse, if like in my case none of my 3rd party plugs changed since i moved from L6 to L8 and they all worked trouble free before in L6, respectively they all work trouble free in all other AU/VST hosts on my machine...

excuse or not, it is a fact.

my main purpose is:
- reliability
- performance
- powerful framework

I decided to invest in Live Suite, Max for Live & Max.
these 3 items are here, and I'm happy.

interoperability is a dream.
it should be a fact too, I agree.
but the real world isn't a dream (unfortunately)

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:19 pm

julienb wrote:
SubFunk wrote:
julienb wrote:3rd party is the problem.
you hear that over and over again... but it's not an excuse, if like in my case none of my 3rd party plugs changed since i moved from L6 to L8 and they all worked trouble free before in L6, respectively they all work trouble free in all other AU/VST hosts on my machine...

excuse or not, it is a fact.

my main purpose is:
- reliability
- performance
- powerful framework

I decided to invest in Live Suite, Max for Live & Max.
these 3 items are here, and I'm happy.

interoperability is a dream.
it should be a fact too, I agree.
but the real world isn't a dream (unfortunately)
uff, of course it's not a dream... but you really want deny it is a problem on ableton's side if a system (the 3rd party plugs used and installed) worked flawless on previous Live versions, nothing changed on the system in terms of plugin collection and it doesn't suddenly in 8?

give me a break!,
besides as i mentioned already none, absolutely none of the plugs give a problem in any other plugin host on the computer, not even after moving to SL.
*** Image GAFM ***

julienb

Post by julienb » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:25 pm

you're right.
I'm working in IT (not developement/coding but I know a bit about that)
upgrading doesn't mean "all features upgrade", it commonly means "a big average of all features upgrade, but some others change and even downgrade a bit"

I'm sure they work hard.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:33 pm

julienb wrote:you're right.
upgrading doesn't mean "all features upgrade", it commonly means "a big average of all features upgrade, but some others change and even downgrade a bit"

I'm sure they work hard.
i know that, but i don't like it, at least i consider plugs a vital, extremely vital part of the function of an audio software... correct me if i am wrong here...

or as discussed here http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=131602

they should make sure, there is no need for 3rd party stuff.
*** Image GAFM ***

julienb

Post by julienb » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:39 pm

SubFunk wrote:
julienb wrote:you're right.

I'm sure they work hard.
i know that, but i don't like it, at least i consider plugs a vital, extremely vital part of the function of an audio software... correct me if i am wrong here...

or as discussed here http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=131602

they should make sure, there is no need for 3rd party stuff.

I can't correct anyone :) cause each person has to use tools for himself.
I'm just happy with m4L which gives me all the tools I needed inside Live.

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:22 am

Don't upgrade to live 8 for at least 6 months to a year then it will probably back to the level that 7 is at today

I know it sucks cause max for live and live squared are tied up in all this live 8 garbage
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Swing like your life depends on it

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:25 am

HeadrickProductions wrote:Don't upgrade to live 8 for at least 6 months to a year then it will probably back to the level that 7 is at today

I know it sucks cause max for live and live squared are tied up in all this live 8 garbage
someone has an agenda. :roll:

runs great on my 4 year old laptop.
"Obsession is a great substitute for talent." - Steve Martin on learning the banjo

Dell Inspiron 15 7000, Live 10.1, Win10 Home, Edirol UA101, APC40, Remote SL, SPD-SX, mic, POD500HDX, JX305, Nova
soundcloud.com/tone-deft

jacob_ma

Post by jacob_ma » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:57 am

julienb wrote:intense using
m4L with a 1,5Mo big patch with around 90 live.remote~, a lot of midi flow in and out
a LOT of instruments in my racks

it has NEVER crashed since the release version!
Well you clearly don't use re-sample, or multiple sends, over 200 clips per set, or play live triggering scenes with third party VST's.

If you did you're Resamples would be recorded late, your plug-in delay would be broken, plugins which worked in Live 7 would be crashing your set in Live 8 and you would have stuttering buffer problems on scenes.

julienb

Post by julienb » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:27 am

jacob_ma wrote:
julienb wrote:intense using
m4L with a 1,5Mo big patch with around 90 live.remote~, a lot of midi flow in and out
a LOT of instruments in my racks

it has NEVER crashed since the release version!
Well you clearly don't use re-sample, or multiple sends, over 200 clips per set, or play live triggering scenes with third party VST's.

If you did you're Resamples would be recorded late, your plug-in delay would be broken, plugins which worked in Live 7 would be crashing your set in Live 8 and you would have stuttering buffer problems on scenes.
fortunately, I'm not in that case.
and I designed both the liveset and the hardware exactly to avoid dead ends...

and it works :)

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:11 am

Honestly to me is goes, Sound>stability>workflow. All three are important, but I don't like the sound of only using Ableton instruments.
People who say that you just need to tweak them etc. are missing a lot. A Jupiter 8 and a Polymoog are both old analogue synths, but they sound nothing alike. Sure certain patches sound the same, but the overall sound is hugely different. This applies as much to a digital filter or EQ as it does to those old analogues. What I'm saying is although Live's instruments and FX are fine, they are a limited palette in light of the vast array of plug in VST and AUs.
It makes sense if people want stability to keep to Ableton embedded content, but that limits your sound to the Ableton, AAS, and Cycling 74 sound. There's no way that can compare to the Ohm Force, NI, FXpansion, Waldorf, Arturia, Rob Papen, Sound Hack, Uh-He, Camel Audio, MOTU, East West, VSL, Nomad factory, Sonalksis, GForce etc. etc. etc. sound.

This is why unlike those of us that choose to use only Ableton embedded content, I choose to vote with my wallet, and will buy Live 8 when it's free of most bugs. Limiting my choices sound wise because I want group tracks seems counter productive to me.

julienb

Post by julienb » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:10 am

I love to sample things outside of live, and use it inside live.
cause I'm not rich enough to bring a lot of hardware during live perf... :(

90's child

Post by 90's child » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:05 am

ever since I installed DCAM Synth Squad I'm getting lots of pops and clicks. :cry:

julienb

Post by julienb » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:16 am

guys...
even if proprietary standards are published (at least API like VST, AU etc) ... full interoperability isn't here

and it is like that for the whole of software (even for hardware, but less sensitive as, by design, standards are strongest)

if you dream about FULL interoperability, choose cubase 1.0, only full midi (even sysex) and hardware synths... it works everytime, and it is very reliable.
if you choose complex interactions between software, you'll bump your head (as we all do) in this kind of interoperability problems...

Cowlash

Post by Cowlash » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:38 am

i recorded a 2 track mix yesterday. before i saved i switched my soundcard off. it crashed. i restarted. it asked me if i wanted to start from where i left off. i said yes. it told me there was no soundcard. i set it back up in the preferences. i continued working on my 2 track mix.

im using 8.1 on a laptop and 8.09 on the desktop. no problems here at all.

i think a lot of folk on here find a bug and it takes over their focus from making music to being annoyed they spent a lot of money on something that now (to them) has a flaw. i think an easier solution is to recognise the flaw, report it, then go back to making music. i know that sounds like giving in to the errors, its not. your only slowing yourself down by focussing on something you cant control

julienb

Post by julienb » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:49 am

Inch Lo wrote:i recorded a 2 track mix yesterday. before i saved i switched my soundcard off. it crashed. i restarted. it asked me if i wanted to start from where i left off. i said yes. it told me there was no soundcard. i set it back up in the preferences. i continued working on my 2 track mix.

im using 8.1 on a laptop and 8.09 on the desktop. no problems here at all.

i think a lot of folk on here find a bug and it takes over their focus from making music to being annoyed they spent a lot of money on something that now (to them) has a flaw. i think an easier solution is to recognise the flaw, report it, then go back to making music. i know that sounds like giving in to the errors, its not. your only slowing yourself down by focussing on something you cant control
did you write to the support team?