How do you feel about Live's plugins?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

How do you feel about Live's audio effects plugins?

Live's plugins are great. They are the only plugins that I use.
36%
Live's plugins are ok, but I think they could be a lot better.
54%
Live's plugins are mediocre. I hardly use them at all.
8%
Live's plugins completely suck!!! I never use them!!!!
2%

Total votes: 105

kb420

How do you feel about Live's plugins?

Post by kb420 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:52 pm

I didn't want to hijack SubFunk's thread, but I just want to know how most of the users actually feel.

If you feel they completely suck and you don't use them at all, then please list the plugins that you do use.
Last edited by kb420 on Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

hurlingdervish

Re: How do you feel about Live's plugins?

Post by hurlingdervish » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:02 pm

just make a new reverb and im happy. everything else is top notch in my eye

also maybe spectrum analysis inside of the eq like pro-q and parametric eq 2 on FL

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:04 pm

the latest fad...

I wish simple delay was warmer.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:08 pm

i voted mediocre, but only because it includes i hardly use them... and i do hardly use them.

i miss: they are OK, but i hardly use them, because they are only OK. that would have been my voting choice!

i think the compressor, when i need a squasher that kills all transients i use sometimes.

the rest hardly ever.

the EQ not at all, it's awful. every time i try again i shudder. bias superfreqs are my go to choice.

btw, it's not hijacking... i was just curious about... the outrage it causes to say something against live's sound engine and the cry for scientific prove
and the calm and reasonable reaction about the plugs, which have a much greater impact (if we claim the user knows how to mix decently) on a mixdown... then the engine itself, very interesting, very interesting...

EDIT: the funny thing is though... that if i say that: "the EQ not at all, it's awful. every time i try again i shudder." i would probably hardly be able to tellif in particular the EQ8 has been used in a mix or not, but when i sit down and do a mix myself and use it and then slam a different EQ onto the same mix / track, it's like day and night.
*** Image GAFM ***

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:19 pm

I did all my first 'album' with them and to me they sound good.
If I had to change something I'd focus on making delay longer (more than 2000 ms)
and adding a real noise gate. Beside that I would re-engineer Reverb.
Today only a very skilled pro could setup this to sound like a metal chamber
or a concrete chamber. What about making it easier with more verbose
controls to select the material type, shape ... and so on?
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:24 pm

i think they are great.
i'm a big fan of all of them.
really... i've never fully understood the argument that third party plugs are better.
i've demoed other plugs that get recommended on this site as they come out and some of them seem do more by them selves, but it hasn't taken much work to build a rack or chain using live devices than can do most of the same things.
my only wish would be a convolution reverb/filter.
i'm hoping some kindly boffin will build one in M4L :wink:

IMPO i think a lot of this debate is more about how they look more than how they sound.
people see third party plugs with cool GUI's rolling in knobs, sliders and other kinds of visual feed back
and then start hearing a difference that isn't really there.
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:43 pm

Homebelly wrote: IMPO i think a lot of this debate is more about how they look more than how they sound.
people see third party plugs with cool GUI's rolling in knobs, sliders and other kinds of visual feed back
and then start hearing a difference that isn't really there.
partly true, then again quiet a lot of the 'good' stuff looks lame and ugly as shit.

so what is it?

besides, i am just thrilled by the very different kind of reaction, of something we discuss where there is no way of scientific prove possible, because we talk about sound, that can't be measured (in the sense of good and bad, leading to a good musical product), yet is a vital part of creating / producing a piece of music.

interesting experiment. very interesting.
Last edited by SubFunk on Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*** Image GAFM ***

Jarvisimon

Post by Jarvisimon » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:51 pm

I think the effects are actually quite good. I have found quite a lot of fun tricks to be had with them. The side-chains are incredibly useful and very easy to get your head around. I even quite like the reverb, ok, so it's not perfect but it's better than old hardware like the Roland Midiverb etc

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:55 pm

i like em a lot, but get a bit tired of the same old same old. the tube overdrive doesn't sound like my guitar amp, which is lame for me. So i use guitar rig.
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:09 pm

Poll choices are silly because it's totally likely (as in my case) that I -both- think live's plugins are great, but also use lots of 3rd party plugs along with them.

so yeah. I think they're great, minus perhaps the verb. but like anyone I use a wide selection of native and 3rd party plugs inside live. and then for mastering I use all 3rd party. but this poll seems to think that if I love live's plugs, I'll use them exclusively. dumb. oh wait, an internet poll, I should have....

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

Jagang

Post by Jagang » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:10 pm

Live's plug-ins are great, however, they are NOT the only ones I use.
The poll is flawed.

trikster_b

Post by trikster_b » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:10 pm

The effect I used the most was the reverb, which always kind of sounded not great to me, but I'd never really used another reverb before, so I learned how reverb works with it. Then I downloaded the free M30 reverb from a couple weeks ago, and it is amazing how much better it is. I don't even use Live's reverb anymore; I actually went back to all of my old projects and replaced all instances of reverbs with the M30.

Other than that, all the other effects are pretty ok, with the exception of maybe the autofilter and the simple delay, but maybe I'm not using them the right way.

Jagang

Post by Jagang » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:11 pm

^^^ Yeah, what -M said.

contakt321

Post by contakt321 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:13 pm

hurlingdervish wrote:just make a new reverb and im happy. everything else is top notch in my eye

also maybe spectrum analysis inside of the eq like pro-q and parametric eq 2 on FL
This

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:19 pm

they are very raw, and not "emulating anything natural". but that rawness is what i love about them. they are like lego to me (and i love lego), or programming components that one uses (and i program a lot).

so i don't see them as "use it and it sounds great", but use them to build something that then sounds great. i much prefer them over "awesomeplugin.dll" that handles everything for you with some funky magic. but this is an ideological thing.

i think they can sound excelent, but only if you "get them", or "get music", actually. so they are more fun to me. more about sound design.

and about the reverb. dunno, it can sound great. but it's no sample based reverb, so there is no option to chose "fancy opera in vienna - sample" to make everything sound like you recorded there. for that, you need another plugin.
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.