Hardware sampler for creative sampling

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Sage

Re: Hardware sampler for creative sampling

Post by Sage » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:56 pm

Got an Akai Z4, don't use it at all now.

That said, it is useful to sounds that are made up of loads of samples, like a piano to put less strain on CPU and just run MIDI out to it. If you want to be creative, better off with software really.

PLacidBasilisk

Post by PLacidBasilisk » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:03 pm

@ HurlingDervish: I seriously considered getting an Sp-555 because that's what my personal sampling hero, Noah Lennox (aka Panda Bear) uses. Unfortunately it's a little out of my price range.

An opportunity has come up to get my hands dirty with an EMU ESI2000. It's a venerable beast but I'm thinking it might be a good intro into hardware sampling. Funny though, I can't seem to find much info on it.

It seems a lot of responses are favourable towards software samplers. Since I already own Absynth 5 and Sampler I'm thinking I should just spend some serious time mastering them (not that mastering Absynth is possible)

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:08 pm

PLacidBasilisk wrote:@ HurlingDervish: I seriously considered getting an Sp-555 because that's what my personal sampling hero, Noah Lennox (aka Panda Bear) uses. Unfortunately it's a little out of my price range.

An opportunity has come up to get my hands dirty with an EMU ESI2000. It's a venerable beast but I'm thinking it might be a good intro into hardware sampling. Funny though, I can't seem to find much info on it.

It seems a lot of responses are favourable towards software samplers. Since I already own Absynth 5 and Sampler I'm thinking I should just spend some serious time mastering them (not that mastering Absynth is possible)
the thing with hardware samplers is plain and simple the ultra awkward and head and finger breaking user interfaces / handling.

plus the transfer of samples as some guys mentioned... great pain in the arse plus you need to get fully equipped ones, getting additionally ram for them or other add on boards is really difficult, all those really interesting samplers are not manufactured anymore... why going through all this hassle? if you feel sampler is not giving you enough... KONTAKT.
*** Image GAFM ***

filterstein

Post by filterstein » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:07 pm

what??? IU thought the emax ii also had a curtis low pass filter....i remember reading about it on vintagesynth.com
no it doesn't, but it still sounds great.
emaxI has no curtis filters either, it's got ssm2047 if i recall correct.
Only emu sampler that had curtis is the eIII as far as i know.
There' s lots of crap online about which chips are used where, best to find the schematic if that's something you care about.

hps909

Post by hps909 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:39 am

i love hardware samplers full stop, i've had S1100, S3000xl, MPC2kxl, S01, .. SCSI + HDD or ZIP means minimal load times.. i have an S3000 ATM patched through my desk that just does drums. there is definitely a 'sound' to hardware samplers that software will never come close to ..
macbook pro 2.5 i5 os 10.12 , TC Electronik Konnekt 48, Live 9, Cubase 9, event 20/20, Waldorf Blofeld, roland tb-03, roland Jx-03, korg mikrokontrol, novation nocturn, akai lpd8

groovebox

Post by groovebox » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:57 am

Yeah I agree with most of the stuff raised - it is such a shame that USB was not around...

But for most of the larger samplers (most AKAI, EMU and some Roland) there are still 3rd party utilities to aid in transfer and editing. With the SCSI samplers - if you have an Adaptec 2490 (can't recall exact number) SCSI card fitted - then at least the EMU's you can stick a CD in your PC or Mac and using a 3rd party utility can transfer stuff to / from. Which makes it bearable.

There are still some 3rd party editors that manipulate the sampler via SCSI too. So you don't have to hunch in front of a 2 line LCD for hours on end!

Admittedly - this is all older technology and can be a PITA when compared to dragging a sample into Live or twiddling Kontact. Plus (as said before) some of the various connection methods can be unstable. When it works it's not too bad. Plus a lot of early artists only had AKAI S1000 or 3000 or so - with 1 or 2MB RAM! And they made hits! :)

(I can't recall what 1MB and 2MB are now! Every computer I see has at least 2GB of RAM!)

Some samplers were a total nightmare - some were not bad. Floppies were terrible I agree.

I guess the 2 things to keep in mind (IMHO):

a) Each sampler (IIRC) had diff chips that offered some sound synth on top of just editing start/end points - eg: EMU had Z-Plane filters so you get the advantage of munging a sample through some powerful filters along the way.

b) Hardware sampler gives you pretty minute control of a lot of parameters - which is poss in Live but takes a fair amount of setting up too.

Things like the ASRX were actually good (pads and knobs and decent RAM and inputs) - AKAI S5000/6000 are still OK (and they have USB!) - EMU only like SCSI but have great filters.

There was an old article about Hans Zimmer (years ago) who had like 20 samplers in his studio! I think they were EMU - could have been AKAI. Some people just "bonded" with hardware samplers and some did not.

Sorry for the long ramble.

Respect.

milfhuntr

Post by milfhuntr » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:12 pm

Anyone know where I can get a reel to reel to splice tape and sample that way?

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:21 pm

milfhuntr wrote:Anyone know where I can get a reel to reel to splice tape and sample that way?
ebay, schneider's buero berlin,
or knowing some people in the studio domain, there are loads and loads of liquidations happening, studios dying like flies, thanks to digital homestudios which can produce professional results, in the company i used to work for until late summer is still a revox half inch flying around, dusty and kicked from one corner to the other, because no one wants that outdated monster anymore... any idea how stupidly expensive a roll of tape for that awkward monster is? and maintaining it is a double PITA.
*** Image GAFM ***