Upgrade the forum or not ?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live

Upgrade the forum or not ?

YES, definitively. We need to make attachements of jpg & more.
21
57%
NO, I don't care.
16
43%
 
Total votes: 37

julienb
Posts: 1795
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:15 pm
Contact:

Re: Upgrade the forum or not ?

Post by julienb » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:25 pm

smutek wrote:
SubFunk wrote:
tempus3r wrote:The only thing I would care to see change is better search.
+1

and every member that is telling a newbie to check out already existing threads about something that has been asked already a hundred times should be flamed to death (in real, burned like a witch) because it is impossible to find anything without spending a ridiculous amount of time and then you still need to be lucky to find something you look for at all.
The search function should just link to : http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en

It's pretty much the only way to find something here.
right.
but it sucks :)
I mean, a lot of free (or almost free) forum/cms scripts provide very nice advanced search.
and it isn't time killing for administrate it...
so...

supamonsta
Posts: 2621
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:31 pm
Location: The Lounge
Contact:

Re: Upgrade the forum or not ?

Post by supamonsta » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:27 pm

The only thing I would care to see change is better search.

+1

and every member that is telling a newbie to check out already existing threads about something that has been asked already a hundred times should be flamed to death (in real, burned like a witch) because it is impossible to find anything without spending a ridiculous amount of time and then you still need to be lucky to find something you look for at all.
+1000

The "new" search engine is totally useless.

knotkranky
Posts: 4336
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: la

Re: Upgrade the forum or not ?

Post by knotkranky » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:31 pm

Ya know google indexes this place super-fast.

Google has the entire forum ready for ya.

supamonsta
Posts: 2621
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:31 pm
Location: The Lounge
Contact:

Re: Upgrade the forum or not ?

Post by supamonsta » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:35 pm

I'll try google then. thanks for the tip

smutek
Posts: 4489
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2003 3:30 pm
Location: Baltimore,United States

Re: Upgrade the forum or not ?

Post by smutek » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:28 am

julienb wrote:
smutek wrote: The search function should just link to : http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en

It's pretty much the only way to find something here.
right.
but it sucks :)
I mean, a lot of free (or almost free) forum/cms scripts provide very nice advanced search.
and it isn't time killing for administrate it...
so...
I'm just saying, unless something happens that forces them to change, they ain't gonna change it man. They're much too busy working on bug fixes and new features for the annual upgrades.

julienb
Posts: 1795
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:15 pm
Contact:

Re: Upgrade the forum or not ?

Post by julienb » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:53 am

smutek wrote:
julienb wrote:
smutek wrote: The search function should just link to : http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en

It's pretty much the only way to find something here.
right.
but it sucks :)
I mean, a lot of free (or almost free) forum/cms scripts provide very nice advanced search.
and it isn't time killing for administrate it...
so...
I'm just saying, unless something happens that forces them to change, they ain't gonna change it man. They're much too busy working on bug fixes and new features for the annual upgrades.
it doesn't require years to do that.
and their model uses ans trusts the community through forums, so I'm sure it would be a wise thing.

btw,making music with live doesn't require any forum, website :mrgreen:

fishmonkey
Posts: 4146
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:50 am

Re: Upgrade the forum or not ?

Post by fishmonkey » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:41 am

knotkranky wrote:Ya know google indexes this place super-fast.

Google has the entire forum ready for ya.
i get a lot of bad links from Google into the Abes forum though, where somewhere along the line the page ref has changed...

julienb
Posts: 1795
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:15 pm
Contact:

Re: Upgrade the forum or not ?

Post by julienb » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:46 am

fishmonkey wrote:
knotkranky wrote:Ya know google indexes this place super-fast.

Google has the entire forum ready for ya.
i get a lot of bad links from Google into the Abes forum though, where somewhere along the line the page ref has changed...
one more reason..

Bleep Blop Ima Robot
Posts: 1180
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 7:31 am
Location: OC, CA

Re: Upgrade the forum or not ?

Post by Bleep Blop Ima Robot » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:30 pm

i like this forum as is, i mean it would be cool to see a better ui, some color changes, but its unlikely to happen. and another +1 on the search, hate it.
::Mac Book Pro 2.4 GHz 4 GB:: ::Ableton Suite 8:: ::NI Massive:: ::NI Maschine:: ::NI FM8:: ::NI Audio 4 DJ:: .::.Akai APC40.::. .::.LaunchPad.::. .::.Nocturn 49.::. .::.Akai MPK25.::. .::.BCR2000.::. ::KRK R5's::
::M30 Reverb:: ::SampleMoog::

julienb
Posts: 1795
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:15 pm
Contact:

Re: Upgrade the forum or not ?

Post by julienb » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:47 pm

Bleep Blop Ima Robot wrote:i like this forum as is, i mean it would be cool to see a better ui, some color changes, but its unlikely to happen. and another +1 on the search, hate it.
not only "cool" :lol:

a better engine would give a powerful search and tools

knotkranky
Posts: 4336
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: la

Re: Upgrade the forum or not ?

Post by knotkranky » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:39 pm

julienb wrote:
fishmonkey wrote:
knotkranky wrote:Ya know google indexes this place super-fast.

Google has the entire forum ready for ya.
i get a lot of bad links from Google into the Abes forum though, where somewhere along the line the page ref has changed...
one more reason..

Broken links? pfft, welcome to the internets mate. Happens with any search engine. It's an upstream problem.

Google is still 10 times better that this forum's internal search regardless.

in google wirte; ableton forum ( your search words ). After page 1 google comes up, click - more results - at the bottom of first or second link. Info for days....

H20nly
Posts: 15844
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: Upgrade the forum or not ?

Post by H20nly » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:53 pm

^ I'm still down with tempus3r and especially SubFunk's suggestion below. Its not google's responsibility to archive the Ableton Forum or for someone (especially new to the forum) to know that.
I've looked for things in a hurry and come up blank. Headphones was one thing... I was on my way out the door and couldn't remember a model number... After looking for a few minutes I decided to post. Leedsquietman chimed in and gave me exactly what I needed (thanks again). Before that I was finding Angstrom's post about a set of headphones in 2005 or nebulae's comment from 07... (I'm kidding but not much) I needed something more recent like the headphones thread from just a few months back in like June or July...

SubFunk wrote:
tempus3r wrote:The only thing I would care to see change is better search.
+1

and every member that is telling a newbie to check out already existing threads about something that has been asked already a hundred times should be flamed to death (in real, burned like a witch) because it is impossible to find anything without spending a ridiculous amount of time and then you still need to be lucky to find something you look for at all.
How does a newbie know that he should use google to find something on the Ableton forum?

Maybe it should be in the FAQs or on the Code of Behavior??
- Order 66: You will not expect the search engine to work. Use google or get ass raped by (bored) board regulars. :?

knotkranky
Posts: 4336
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: la

Re: Upgrade the forum or not ?

Post by knotkranky » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:52 pm

^ Well that's a good point. It's still an ocean of material to sift. This board should put together a list of most often asked questions/threads.

I bet a self moderated "best of" list can be given to dom and he'd sticky it. Just one page for:

top 10 headphone threads
top 10 session view threds
top 10 compressor threads
top 10 moderation threads :o
top 10 troll/sound engine threads :)

yada yada...

should be a snap

smutek
Posts: 4489
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2003 3:30 pm
Location: Baltimore,United States

Re: Upgrade the forum or not ?

Post by smutek » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:22 pm

Then there will be a huge flame war over what ten threads constitute the best of each.

Jekblad
Posts: 2351
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 2:02 am
Contact:

Re: Upgrade the forum or not ?

Post by Jekblad » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:05 pm

the only thing i'd change about the forum is the people. all of them, :lol:
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

Post Reply