Maschine

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
starving student

Re: Maschine

Post by starving student » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:59 am

oh shit it's working wait a minute i gotta figure this out, I did it again just slicing the same sample I already had in there but and I did the appy to differnt group like you said

whats the difference between hitting apply or apply to I wonder if it's that
or if it's the fact that i sent to a different group?

CONTINUOUS YOU ARE THE FUCKIN MAN, OR WOMAN!!!!!

OH I FORGOT I didn't leave press select or anything this time just did it directly after the slicing, directly went to change pitch on different slices and it worked, but this is mysterious so what about my other track of do re mi slices they still won't work no matter what I do, but they play correctly in the sequencer just as I triggered them?

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:04 am

here's to the maschine heads:
did you figure out how the parameters for the filter FX envelope work?
the parameters are "shape", "decay" and "smooth", and i don't get how they relate to a standard ADSR envelope.
i posted this issue on the NI forum but got no satisfying answer yet.

continuous

Post by continuous » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:10 am

stepping out for a bit... drinks/dinner

When you press select are the little boxes in the right hand display filled with black, outlined with black stroke or surrounded with dotted stroke?

Selected pads will be filled with black.

Try this.. instead of using the select button just hit the pad... of course this will fire it off once but then try editing the Pitch/Gate, FX etc. parameters in the displays...

cheers

starving student

Post by starving student » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:19 am

OMG

enjoy your dinner I owe you one for real, where are you located and what kind of music do you do?

starving student

Post by starving student » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:32 am

thank you as well glitch as always. any maschine users might want to try all of this out cause this might be a bug i dunno but damn maschine is incredible oh my goodness i don't even know where to start now maschine and Live this is a winner i'll be damn!!!!

I take back what i said about the guy in charge of slicing over there mr. whomever you are man i'm eating my words but there might be a bug so please look into it. this is some craz shit I would have never figured this out on another forum, the fam to the rescue fuck yeahhhh

pedroo haven't gotten to that yet but lots of maschine/live users are peepin the thread so someone will chime in i'm sure and I hate to say it but tone deff prob knows the answer that basterd.

starving student

Post by starving student » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:24 am

ok wow what a journey, figured it out on page 150 of the manual which I saw before but couldn't put 2 and 2 together until continuous continuously hit me in the head with slice instructions,
it appears that the culprit truly is the 'apply' and 'apply to' options, the apply option just paste the slices as is with midi data into the piano roll, but the 'apply to' option turns the slices into individual slices so that you can individually edit them, so it's very necessary to do as continuous said and use 'apply to'

starving student

Post by starving student » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:29 am

oh this is funny as hell look on page 150 at the little lightbulb on the left and what it says haha what a fonzy i've been.

still since this 'apply to' method also sends the midi data to the track what the hell is the purpose of the 'apply' option?
the only thing I've noticed is that you can jam over the slices with themselves without altering the sequenced material........maybe thats the reason but i can't find anything about that in the manual.

continuous

Post by continuous » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:51 am

You got it working... fucking excellent!
My pleasure to help, man serious. I've been meaning to do more sampling with Maschine so this is just what I needed.

I didn't know what the difference between APPLY and APPLY TO was exactly, but I know the APPLY TO made things easier somehow. It is indeed next to the lightbulb on page 150!

I live in Portland, Oregon and um... I don't even know what kinda music I make to be honest... I just hang out in my basement and make little loop tunes...

It's funny... now I'm trying to do that riffing over the top thing you were talking about and can't figure it!

starving student

Post by starving student » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:10 am

continuous wrote:You got it working... fucking excellent!
My pleasure to help, man serious. I've been meaning to do more sampling with Maschine so this is just what I needed.

I didn't know what the difference between APPLY and APPLY TO was exactly, but I know the APPLY TO made things easier somehow. It is indeed next to the lightbulb on page 150!

I live in Portland, Oregon and um... I don't even know what kinda music I make to be honest... I just hang out in my basement and make little loop tunes...

It's funny... now I'm trying to do that riffing over the top thing you were talking about and can't figure it!
it'll work if you use apply -- not apply to,

starving student

Post by starving student » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:12 am

i bet Ni where laughing their asses off at me :lol:

starving student

Post by starving student » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:47 pm

continuous did you ever get it to work?

continuous

Post by continuous » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:47 am

Haven't had enough play time today, but ll get me some when the wife settles in on TV n a bit! Gonna have a go at it then.

Be cool to hear some of what you're doing with Maschine.... there's a thread up over at NI and a beats contest?

Mary Poppins!

starving student

Post by starving student » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:31 am

beat contest eh, not to much for show and tell but it might be a good way to learn
more bout maschine, might have to check it out.

continuous

Post by continuous » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:21 am

starving student wrote:hey just discovered something pretty cool out of this slicing test. ok so I've got a slice up sample of marry poppins singing do re mi, i sliced it into 3 parts and have it on group G, since I really can't do anything to mangle the samples seperately it's just playing in a 4 bar loop but what I've discovered is that while the sequencer is playing you can reverse the samples and change the pitch and mess with the adsr and even the start timing of the samples and it won't change anything whatsoever about the recorded sequence,

so the 'do re mi' is still playing the way it was recorded no changes to pitch start time adsr or reverse, but i'm soloing over the loop changing all of those things with the same sample slices, fuck even the volume of the samples can be changed and the recorded volume does not change this is an incredible and great feature/bug for Live performance. This one I hope they do not fix!!!
ya.. this a great way to transform something live. More immediate than the Sample, Slice, and Edit on a per slice basis. Not sure how that would work live? Now I can see why they have different "APPLY" modes? I have Maschine's ins being fed by a couple outs of the Traveler and it makes Sample/Resample pretty effortless and fun.

starving student

Post by starving student » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:42 am

wonder if any of you know whether maschines patterns or scenes can have their own tempos, i'm not finding anything about multiple tempos in the manual, but man they bit ableton like a pack of zombies, I'm glad they make a great combo.