Your beats are bullshit

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
john doe by choice

Re: Your beats are bullshit

Post by john doe by choice » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:36 pm

Ah, booze, the truth serum for all those questions you don't care to ask. Gotta love it.

tw1nstates

Post by tw1nstates » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:55 pm

stick em up then, lets have a listen. . .
I slipped into a daze, whilst I was there I heard the most startling music, it was at once familiar and alien, reassuring and unsettling.
https://soundcloud.com/fearoftherave

necho

Post by necho » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:57 pm

tw1nstates wrote:stick em up then, lets have a listen. . .
I'll get the beers in

:)
_________
sigs suck.

Mint Invader

Post by Mint Invader » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:54 pm

monstrejumo wrote:
Producers spend way too much time inspecting their own arseholes
:lol:
Ill have you know that I only inspected it twelve times today... thats like a third of what I normaly do....... lol.
Because Whatever.

OvertoneZero

Post by OvertoneZero » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:22 pm

:lol:

TRS80

Post by TRS80 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:42 pm

It's a lot easier to download hot beats from Beatport than programming them yourself. Many DJs do this, and are in a good position to criticize beats- because they seek out the best of 'em. Doesn't mean they can or should know how to make 'em.

Making beats that are hot and rockin' is not easy, and even if you know patterns like the back of your hand, it's the production that makes them stand out. Some producers can make a simple kick and hat sound incredible, whereas another producer can throw in the kitchen sink and end up sounding thin and weak.

I could stand seeing a tut that focuses on the production fx to get phat beats, and less on how to program the individual notes.

Your friend should offer constructive criticism, but he probably doesn't have a clue about the production process. That also goes for most of the people on the dance floor- so it's important to deal well with this kind of critique. They don't know much, but they know what they like when they hear it.
Ableton Suite 8.2.2 suite; OS 10.6.7

starving student

Post by starving student » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:06 pm

TRS80 wrote:It's a lot easier to download hot beats from Beatport than programming them yourself. Many DJs do this, and are in a good position to criticize beats- because they seek out the best of 'em. Doesn't mean they can or should know how to make 'em.

Making beats that are hot and rockin' is not easy, and even if you know patterns like the back of your hand, it's the production that makes them stand out. Some producers can make a simple kick and hat sound incredible, whereas another producer can throw in the kitchen sink and end up sounding thin and weak.

I could stand seeing a tut that focuses on the production fx to get phat beats, and less on how to program the individual notes.

Your friend should offer constructive criticism, but he probably doesn't have a clue about the production process. That also goes for most of the people on the dance floor- so it's important to deal well with this kind of critique. They don't know much, but they know what they like when they hear it.

Nick thats a direct call on you, that's a great idea I don't see any tutorials really dealing with this issue that are worthwhile

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:36 pm

I really feel ya beats me, I used to have this alcoholic roommate that would always talk shit about my music like "I don't know why you always make these boring ass tunes, I know you can do better than that" "why do you always make such weak beats?" "it needs to be louder" "it needs to be faster" "I'm just not feelin it"
He wanted to be constructive but his attitude came across as negative and it's actually effected me far longer than it should have. I'm insecure to begin with and have a tendency to collect 'insecure moments' as landmark memories (or something like that)

Not a whole lot can be said about it really, it does suck. But just consider yourself as now having a bit in common with every excellent artist in human history: A record of being torn apart by a critic.

The problem with these people is that when they listen to a song you are working on they measure it against great releases they have listened to. And you are almost certainly not gonna measure up because A) you aren't showing them a great release, and B) it's not f*kin mastered yet, which comes across as quieter and therefor it must be weak.

I don't even show people my music anymore, not that I make much anymore either.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

starving student

Post by starving student » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:38 pm

beatsme I'm with the 'don't care what others think'camp i'm not sure if you asked
your roomy for his opinion but alot of times asking for someones opinion is like asking someone to fart on you. if your roommate is a dj and if he likes your stuff
he'd come in from the other room to ask you what that beat was you were playing, just my opinion but I find it is just unnecessary to ask anybody about what you create, your art is kind of a members only club you being the only member.

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:46 pm

sigworthy :lol: :lol: :lol:

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:15 am

beats me wrote:He's actually my friend and maybe it came out a little harsher without mentioning our background and friends loving to jab each other, but still a DJ telling you that your beats are bullshit is like a guy telling his woman "you could stand to lose some weight".

Of course I am also kind of being like the bitch in that scenario with my "Oh, is that all you care about?!?"

But like I said, this isn't first time somebody has aired their beat opinions.
I have generally found that alot of DJs are not very good critics of music, especially if its musical :)
If he is a very sucessful DJ then perhaps his opinion is worth something, if not then perhaps you might tell him that given his success as a DJ his opinion is evidently worth shit too :P
Nothing to see here - move along!

TRS80

Post by TRS80 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:07 am

Now I want to clarify what I said earlier. I meant by DJs- those who do it for a living and play in venues with very large PA systems. Those are the ones that are in the position to really have an opinion about how a track sounds on the floor. Sometimes a track at home sounds alright, but when played on a big system it's amazing.

There's a real art to producing music that sounds incredible on huge systems. I wish I knew more about it.

When I used to DJ, I'd very occasionally take something I'd made to play out, and every time it sounded different that it did at home. Yet some goto producers whose work I'd always buy- their stuff was guaranteed bangin' in production quality. It's a trick to translate from home studio to dance floor successfully.

Yeah, so when I said "DJ" I meant those who are playing out weekly in medium to large venues with sound systems specifically designed for dance music.

Point me to the tutorial that is specifically honed in on production techniques for hard hitting, clear, and dynamic tracks- you get my dollar.

I've heard tracks that were little more than a kick and a bassline that just shattered the floor. I don't know much but I know it's in the mix, in the production- not the arrangement, style, or melody. I'd like to be a great bricklayer more than a flower arranger.
Ableton Suite 8.2.2 suite; OS 10.6.7

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:39 am

damn it...

after reading all this I suddenly feel like my drums suck.

beats me, I've said it before, but I'll say it again... for what its worth, I like your shit.
So he doesn't and I do... based on the math that means we cancel each other out and you're back to square one.

now piss him off and start playing your shit real loud while you're working on it.
if that doesn't work, follow earlier advice and fuck his girlfriend...

ChiDJ

Post by ChiDJ » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:26 pm

No matter how accomplished a producer, writer, artist you are, there will always be those that don't dig your shit. Take it for what it's worth: Just some sod's opinion.

You do it cause you love it right?

Fuck everyone else.

Tod
"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:32 pm

i think the drum parts of tracks is a big weak point for a lot of people, including myself. I just focus too much on the composition and sound design aspect from the beginning. Then when the time comes to get the drums going, I'm too fed up with the track to already care.

I've tried starting up with a good drum part then building from there (advice I've gotten from others), but I always fail to get inspired this way, since when I get ideas, they're always melodies or harmonies. Hard to just come up with completely new ones to build around a drum sequence IMO.