Your beats are bullshit

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
beats me

Re: Your beats are bullshit

Post by beats me » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:09 am

Worth a bump.

My roommate finally got a Mac and started his journey into music production with Garageband. Using his one note at a time keyboard skills and an ample amount of Apple loops he came up with what he thought were some solid tracks mixed on his computer speakers (they have a separate sub so they must be accurate, right?). I think he did little more in the area of production other than setting track levels.

But when he bounced the tracks and listened to them on headphones and in his car they were a muddy mess and his beats are bullshit. :D

:x <-him

:lol: <-me

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:22 am

the_planet wrote:NEWS FLASH: MUSIC TASTE IS SUBJECTIVE
Sure, but some people's beats are indeed shit :cry:

I'm amazed at how many people really have no sense of rhythm. I may not know how to program really complex drum parts but some guys don't even understand the power of the old "boom bap"...kicks on 1 and 3, snares on 2 and 4...and come up with a busy part that has all the accents in the wrong places :?

I used to sing in a church choir and one woman loved to bang the tambourine but only on 1 and 3 instead of on 2 and 4...painful 8O

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:23 am

doghouse wrote:
the_planet wrote:NEWS FLASH: MUSIC TASTE IS SUBJECTIVE
Sure, but some people's beats are indeed shit :cry:

I'm amazed at how many people really have no sense of rhythm. I may not know how to program really complex drum parts but some guys don't even understand the power of the old "boom bap"...kicks on 1 and 3, snares on 2 and 4...and come up with a busy part that has all the accents in the wrong places :?

I used to sing in a church choir and one woman loved to bang the tambourine but only on 1 and 3 instead of on 2 and 4...painful 8O
Damnit, dog. This is a subject that is timeless and can continue to be debated but I bumped it well after a year of starting it because I finally got some poetic justice. :x
beats me wrote:Worth a bump.

My roommate finally got a Mac and started his journey into music production with Garageband. Using his one note at a time keyboard skills and an ample amount of Apple loops he came up with what he thought were some solid tracks mixed on his computer speakers (they have a separate sub so they must be accurate, right?). I think he did little more in the area of production other than setting track levels.

But when he bounced the tracks and listened to them on headphones and in his car they were a muddy mess and his beats are bullshit. :D

:)

agent314

Post by agent314 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:47 am

My beats are bullshit?

How did you know?

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:52 am

Sidebar. There's an astonishing amount of members involved in this thread who are no longer among us.

xzusa8ky

Post by xzusa8ky » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:05 am

Fuck That! Make beats and be happy with yourself for being creative! Dont listen to your friends when it comes to your own productions, they will mostly react that way, because they know you. Make a good mix and drop one or 2 tracks into the set and you will see they will react different............ 8)
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

djphenaproxima

Post by djphenaproxima » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:09 am

agent314 wrote:My beats are bullshit?

How did you know?
:lol:

UnCL0NED

Post by UnCL0NED » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:33 am

Nice to bring up such a timeless topic! We should have this more often on this forum, rather than start a new thread on a similar topic every 2 months... :roll:

Now on the subject of the thread :)
"Your beats are bullshit" is what we call a "dooddoener" in Dutch! Killing something without giving it time to defend itself or even telling it why (as a figure of speech).
Saying something like that, is not giving criticism. It's just ranting a random, subjective opinion without giving any arguments.
Clearly he was drunk! Or otherwise he is not a true friend...

Keep up writing your songs your way. I like them!!!
soundcloud
"everything you read on the internet is true!"

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:52 pm

Eat, beat, and be merry! :D
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

Rationalizer

Post by Rationalizer » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:23 pm

doghouse wrote:I used to sing in a church choir and one woman loved to bang the tambourine but only on 1 and 3 instead of on 2 and 4...painful 8O
Oh how I feel this pain! :x :x :x
WIN8.1 x64 | Suite 9.5 x64 | RME FF400 | UAD-2 | Maschine 2 | SparkLE | Mopho | Blodeld | Komplete 9 | Ebony A2 | Adam A7 | Launchpad | Waves Diamond V9 | Many VSTs

Facebook | Youtube | Soundcloud | Beatport

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:47 pm

beats me wrote:Worth a bump.

lol classic!

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:54 pm

^^^ :lol:

He will probably go fukit after a day and start buying vengeance and primeloops stuff then run around going yeh - got this - dis is da shiz...
Nothing to see here - move along!

cubehog

Post by cubehog » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:08 am

Same situation here. 7 yrs ago a bandmate just threw everything I came up with in the creative garbage can. Too fast, too slow, too simple, too complicated.
Blabla, but always with a "too".

The band stopped because 2 of our non-creative members went to Amsterdam. Then we split. 2 years after our departure I got a record deal without any self esteem. I still lack of this feature set but my music improved. This guy on the other hand is now more into clothing and selling macs, so he obviously is on the road to be superficial. (No, mac users are not superficial per se, just a few, plz no mac/pc debate) He still djs though, but more for his own enjoyment ;)

He contacted me when he learnt our record being out on a sublabel of a bigger company. So he began to wonder and wanted to find out what happened. We met one more time, he still criticized me in his old way.

After a klute gig in a dnb club he started to argue again, saying my music is still shit and it isn´t better just because some people now listen to it. I beat him up, walked away.

I´ve heard last week he finally made it to the hospital to get cured. He is mentally ill, I am too. No good combo, but at least I only attack the ones who deserve it. Even physically. I´m not proud of it.

But so many years of receiving humiliation, ridicule and pain were put into my fists that night. It had to be done.

kb420

Post by kb420 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:12 am

"Get the Funk out my face
You don't like me music, you don't have to use it!!!!""""

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdxQ_zrG1Ww
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

alekst1923

Post by alekst1923 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:49 pm

You should just use your body as leverage and judo slam his drunk ass through a table.