Your beats are bullshit

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Jarvisimon

Re: Your beats are bullshit

Post by Jarvisimon » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:48 pm

You could always steal the beats from one of his tunes and when he tells you they're bullshit, let him know you're remixing one of his numbers!

Alternatively, stop him in his tracks by saying they're meant to be bullshit.

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:48 pm

Jarvisimon wrote: Alternatively, stop him in his tracks by saying they're meant to be bullshit.
i like that one... haha

fedexnman

Post by fedexnman » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:28 pm

i smell jealousy !

agent314

Post by agent314 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:13 am

Don't be jealous that your beats aren't as bullshit as mine.

We can't all be winners, you know?

Saxer

Post by Saxer » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:35 am

- ask your dj room mate for some really cool beats
- copy them in programming/playing and sound (that might take a while)
- compare them to your older beats

the only thing you can do is learning. either that your beats wasn´t bad or that your new beats are better. both cool.

after copying go on with your own beats with new knowledge.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue May 10, 2011 4:17 am

Well after about a month of messing with Garageband and then Logic he's "just not inspired". Gotta hand it to the guy, he took about 20 years of my music making experience and crammed it into about 2 months. I'd probably be doing something more successful with my life if I had given up as quickly. :lol: :x

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue May 10, 2011 4:06 pm

that's what you get for letting him use your gear.

most of us only keep making music because if we quit we have to admit how much money we've wasted.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue May 10, 2011 4:48 pm

H20nly wrote:that's what you get for letting him use your gear.

most of us only keep making music because if we quit we have to admit how much money we've wasted.

True dat.

Forgot to mention that he also quickly tossed in some excuses many of us have made at some point “I already went through most of the instrument presets and Apple loops. Maybe I need to get more plug-ins.” But soon as he realized anything worth a damn would cost him $100+ he said “Fuck that”. :lol:

He’s a seriously cheap bastard. He broke his desk chair about 2 months ago or so, and even though he repeatedly says he’s going to get a new one, he’s been using a stool with a wood seat that the top of the stool is about 2” shorter than his desk. 8O But in that regard I think his not getting a new chair has more to do with laziness than money. He'd actaully have to leave the apartment and go to a store. But as he's pushing 40 I'm sure his back is going to give him a nice fuck you for sitting on a hard surface hunched over like that....dumbass. :x

kb420

Post by kb420 » Tue May 10, 2011 5:21 pm

beats me wrote:Well after about a month of messing with Garageband and then Logic he's "just not inspired".

You're a better man than me. I would have said, "Your beats are bullshit. Bullshit kills inspiration!!!!" :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

memes_33

Post by memes_33 » Tue May 10, 2011 5:30 pm

i'm with some of the others- take it as some constructive criticism but with a grain of salt. i wish i could get my buddies to give me some usable feedback on my shit, not just "its cool". perhaps it wasn't the most eloquent way to tell you, but at least its something.

in the end, though, you're making music for you (hopefully) more than anyone else.

Senada's "Theory of Obscurity" states that an artist can only produce pure art when the expectations and influences of the outside world are not taken into consideration. -wikipedia
Hip-Hop, Breakbeat, Glitch, IDM, Dub, & Mashups! Go to:
http://memes.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/memes_33

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue May 10, 2011 5:57 pm

With some limited experience under his belt he’s apologized up and down for giving me shit on the quality of my beats and for not churning out track after track based solely on having the software and gear that can do it. He’s also acknowledged getting stuck on a loop even when it’s original purpose was just to mostly set a tempo or starting point. Once it’s been sitting there long enough you can get married to it and deaf to the possibilities of change or making it different or better.

I’m just enjoying the validation that the finished product of creativity isn’t always easy to make the quality you hope for or others might want to hear. There’s lots of situations in life when people say things like “If I had [insert whatever it is here] I would totally…” but they never actually do anything about it. They just pass inexperience based judgment.

kb420

Post by kb420 » Tue May 10, 2011 6:09 pm

I'm glad that he apologized. At least now he somewhat understands how much is involved.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue May 10, 2011 10:29 pm

beats me wrote:I’m just enjoying the validation that the finished product of creativity isn’t always easy to make the quality you hope for or others might want to hear. There’s lots of situations in life when people say things like “If I had [insert whatever it is here] I would totally…” but they never actually do anything about it. They just pass inexperience based judgment.
yep.

the guy that used to play with me on the LiquidLab stuff did that. "if i had a computer and all that software i'd...". so out of the kindness i set up his computer and cheap ass mixer so that he could... right before i told him to get to steppin and that i don't work for him.
me: "i hope you were paying attention"
him: "huh?"

he came back around later, humbled and acting as though he "get's it", so i (hesitantly) agreed to make music with him again. - shame on me.

he pulled a similar (cut throat, shit talking) move, but this time by convincing the newest member of the group (a female vocalist) that he was the mastermind behind it all :lol: - shame on them.

of course, this guy still thinks that he can record himself with a mini-cassette recorder, play it for the right person, and BLAM he'll get a record deal.

:lol: + :lol: = :lol: twice as hard.

now, they aren't fucking each other anymore, both of them are assed out and can't record shit, but what they write in their diaries...

meanwhile, i'm on a music forum writing about them. :P

the biggest difference is... i'm still recording tracks.