Your beats are bullshit

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
beats me

Your beats are bullshit

Post by beats me » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:42 am

That's what my roommate chose to share with me the other night in a moment of drunken unsolicited clarity. If I wrote Hip Hop or House or some other beat-centric genre of music then I would be supremely offended and hurt, but since I don't I was only normal offended and hurt. Nobody before has put it so eloquently but I do have a long history of bedroom critics chipping away at my drums. I'm not thin skinned, but really, the only thing you walked away with from the entire track was you didn't like the snare?

He's a DJ so obviously beats hold some higher importance but I'm beginning to think the whole world feels that way. If your song features any drums whatsoever then they better be knocking your teeth out and the drum production should be flawless regardless of genre.

I probably wouldn't even mention this except once a quarter I try to post something at least somewhat related to what this board was intended for, but also there's no shortage of music noobs or people with zero music endeavors who think they can just bust out phat beats on par with married men who claim "If I wasn't married I'd be banging tons of hot chicks."

So this weekend I will be sitting him down in front of Live and showing him the basics on beat programming (won't be the first time) and after slamming an 18 pack of beer I'm sure he'll feel he came up with the sickest beat ever, only to listen to it the next day and realize it's garbage.

Wait no, that's not how it will play out. He'll get bored after a half hour and admit it's not just that easy. A month later he'll again tell me my beats are bullshit. :x

Trypset

Re: Your beats are bullshit

Post by Trypset » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:54 am

Untie your panties, take your manpon out and find a new roomate.

j/k. Sorry to hear that, it's never fun to have people that are close to you hate on your shit.

1) He really doesn't like them and is an ass for telling you when he's drunk

2) He's jealous and that how most people handle jealousy is by hating

Haters gonna hate, if you like them then who cares?
TrypseT
Live 8 Full (not suite), ES-1 MKII, Microkorg, MPC 1000, 2 1200's, Ms. Pinky's, OSX, Edirol FA-101, and a crate 'o' wax

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:08 am

He's actually my friend and maybe it came out a little harsher without mentioning our background and friends loving to jab each other, but still a DJ telling you that your beats are bullshit is like a guy telling his woman "you could stand to lose some weight".

Of course I am also kind of being like the bitch in that scenario with my "Oh, is that all you care about?!?"

But like I said, this isn't first time somebody has aired their beat opinions.

kb420

Post by kb420 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:10 am

One of my best friends said something to that affect to me too. I never let what anybody says upset me. I come to find out later on that he tells everybody how good I am behind my back.

Fuck him. Just do you!!!!!!
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:12 am

NEWS FLASH: MUSIC TASTE IS SUBJECTIVE

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:28 am

On me being happy with it and music being subjective, I'm sure a lot of people on here are never completely happy with what the end result (for now) is. There's so many factors that can go into what makes a track stand out more than others as far as production, most of which the average person or even DJ is completely unaware of and wouldn't find very interesting or would even think was important.

I'm also sure most of us burn some calories on each and every element that goes into a song at different levels, and for anybody to insinuate "you just slopped that together" is irritating.

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:52 am

it's just an opinion so don't take it too personal even though he is a dj.. have you ever heard a song or track and think it's totally whack... and then it becomes the next big hit and you end up scratching your head.. just because someone DJ's or even is a producer doesn't mean they know everything because they can't get outside their own personal preferences.. i mean just look at some of the hate that goes around here regarding some of the music that is out or has been successful and even become mainstream.. you think those people that produced those songs care about what some dj says or what some forum members think? keep doing your thing. you've finished alot of tracks (been to your myspace stuff) so be proud of that..

Android Bishop

Post by Android Bishop » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:53 am

i avoid this problem by recognizing the fact that my beats ARE shit so it doesnt phase me when people tell me what I already know

kb420

Post by kb420 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:55 am

Android Bishop wrote:i avoid this problem by recognizing the fact that my beats ARE shit so it doesnt phase me when people tell me what I already know

:?:
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:13 am

Don't show him how to program your beats in Live.

Tell the f*@&er to SHOW YOU how to program the beats, since he is obviously Mr. Hot Shit.

And if he can't do this, then say 'Think about that next time you criticize someone's beats, bi-otch. Unless you can do it better, then STFU'.

Then tell him after the next 18 beers that his DJing blows super chunks ... ;)
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:41 am

bullshit is the new black.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:11 am

When I was first into making dance music, my room mate at the time did more or less the same thing. I made him listen to one of my tunes, and he finally just looked at me and said "it's ok, but your drums are always so weak". Hurt a lot at first I guess, but now I think it was the best advice I ever got. Made me really focus on my drum programming and as a result, i think I improved that area of my song writing greatly.

If you ask for advice, you gotta take the good with the bad, and use it to your advantage.

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 am

well my girlie likes your beats, assuming enrapture is beats you have programed...
i dig it too.. and i have had 2 60 minute dogfish head ipa's ..
actually oi dig it allot.. i think i click your other link in your sig next.
o but i'm not a DJ.. i'm a bassist :P

edit

yaaa we both agree .. your roommate is a fool

Alextronica

Post by Alextronica » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:38 am

Thats Perfect!

the last thing you want as an artist an Yes Man.
Black Mac Book 2.16 4gigs of Ram > Ableton 7 Suite > Komplete 5 > APC40 > Novation Remote SL25 > Allen and Heath Xone 92 > Korg Kaoscillator

www.soundcloud.com/Alextronica

contakt321

Post by contakt321 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:10 am

At least he is okay with your racism/prejudice against hip-hop fans.

If you would like, I would be glad to give you some feedback on your drums.