Your beats are bullshit

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Mint Invader

Re: Your beats are bullshit

Post by Mint Invader » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:32 am

Real bummer your friend would just straight up say that... did he even say why they were bullshit? (Style, production, etc.)
Because Whatever.

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:16 am

I find it somehow funny how "your beats suck", and your nick is "beat me"

:)

so many "puns" possible with all sort of interpretations.

but yes, take it as critique that enhances your sound. i always try to do that, too. but often, it just annoys or hurts :)
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

D K

Post by D K » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:37 am

fuck his girlfriend

boomstix

Post by boomstix » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:45 am

D K wrote:fuck his girlfriend
then tell him she was shit :wink:

seriously tho, as much as it hurts to be criticised, i've never gotten better at something when people give me compliments. it inspires me to try harder when people point out my weaknesses.

the other day i was listening to some of my old stuff that at the time i thought was good. let's just say that my friends were being kind when they said it wasn't good! :lol:

Mint Invader

Post by Mint Invader » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:53 am

boomstix wrote:
D K wrote:fuck his girlfriend
then tell him she was shit :wink:

seriously tho, as much as it hurts to be criticised, i've never gotten better at something when people give me compliments. it inspires me to try harder when people point out my weaknesses.

the other day i was listening to some of my old stuff that at the time i thought was good. let's just say that my friends were being kind when they said it wasn't good! :lol:
lol people like me dont have to worry. We always think our shit sucks no matter what.

Them - "Hey dude really good set" Me - "I dunno I thought it was shit"
Tham _ "Great first release dude! Loved the souen" Me "Again I dunno I thought it was shit"

People like me, we are our worst critics.
Because Whatever.

macmurphy

Post by macmurphy » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:35 am

contakt321 wrote:At least he is okay with your racism/prejudice against hip-hop fans.

If you would like, I would be glad to give you some feedback on your drums.
Have i missed something? Clarify please.

Cowlash

Post by Cowlash » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:23 am

i wouldn't worry about it, ive been a working dj since 92 and i think your beats are dope.

i especially love the navai remix on the minus you page

i'd like to add, just because you go by the title of something doesnt mean you're any good at it - my experience doesn't mean i have any talent, just that ive been able to wing it for a while. so just because your friend is a dj, doesn't mean he's some kind of special benchmark

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:06 am

Your beats are bullshit
yes I know :wink:

that's why I allways struggle to make them better

Rave

Post by Rave » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:25 am

Mint Invader wrote: lol people like me dont have to worry. We always think our shit sucks no matter what.

Them - "Hey dude really good set" Me - "I dunno I thought it was shit"
Tham _ "Great first release dude! Loved the souen" Me "Again I dunno I thought it was shit"

People like me, we are our worst critics.

This may be true but I would stop saying that. It is not a good practise when playing out. Just be gracious and say thanks. There is an article about this somewhere.

necho

Post by necho » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:28 am

hahaha.... may not be the most constructive criticism, but like some people have said, that kind of response is a GOOD thing. Producers spend way too much time inspecting their own arseholes and its good to have someone give an honest - if negative - opinion sometimes.

But don't discount drunkeness as a factor - a few weeks ago, my housemate rolled in drunk and I played him what I'd been working on. He said "I hate all of it - apart from that stringy sound". The "stringy" sound was an unprocessed string sample I'd taken directly from some film soundtrack.

He went for a piss and came back and said: "Wow - I REALLY like this! Is this the same tune?"

All I had done was take out an 808 clap sample (I know he hates claps).
_________
sigs suck.

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:31 am

Producers spend way too much time inspecting their own arseholes
:lol:

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:54 am

It's good to get some honest critique from someone you trust and know well, take it like a man and improve, maybe probe him a bit more for exactly what it is he doesn't like.

I bet you need a hardware compressor, that will solve all your problems! :D

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:57 am

UKRuss wrote:It's good to get some honest critique from someone you trust and know well, take it like a man and improve, maybe probe him a bit more for exactly what it is he doesn't like.

I bet you need a hardware compressor, that will solve all your problems! :D
no. redo it in cubase, or logic. it's all just because of the summing engine!! :)
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:59 am

Tarekith wrote:When I was first into making dance music, my room mate at the time did more or less the same thing. I made him listen to one of my tunes, and he finally just looked at me and said "it's ok, but your drums are always so weak". Hurt a lot at first I guess, but now I think it was the best advice I ever got. Made me really focus on my drum programming and as a result, i think I improved that area of my song writing greatly.

If you ask for advice, you gotta take the good with the bad, and use it to your advantage.
+1

also, i can't judge your music, but generally, as soon as you make ANY kind of music that does involve drums at all, they do become the most important part. drums are the backbone of any type of music (obviously that do involve that instrument in the first place), no matter what style. so well yeah, pay great attention to them.

any band dies, cripples immediately with a real bad drummer, but you might get away with a bad guitarist or singer.
*** Image GAFM ***

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:33 pm

i'm with you there on that one SubFunk...