Your beats are bullshit

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
ChiDJ

Re: Your beats are bullshit

Post by ChiDJ » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:40 pm

aqua_tek wrote:i think the drum parts of tracks is a big weak point for a lot of people, including myself. I just focus too much on the composition and sound design aspect from the beginning. Then when the time comes to get the drums going, I'm too fed up with the track to already care.

I've tried starting up with a good drum part then building from there (advice I've gotten from others), but I always fail to get inspired this way, since when I get ideas, they're always melodies or harmonies. Hard to just come up with completely new ones to build around a drum sequence IMO.
I think you've answered you own question. :D

If it's Dance music, track creation should be in this order:

1) Drums

2) Bass

3) Everything else.

You Have to build the foundation first.

Tod
"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"

milfhuntr

Post by milfhuntr » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:03 pm

drums = the glue that holds your music.

Mine are like super glue. :lol:

senator adam

Post by senator adam » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:35 pm

Criticism can hurt, but it can make you work harder and be better at what you do. I welcome all criticism, even the drunken "this shit sucks, play some pink floyd" at the occasional gig. We then play more psychedelic and epic, which helps ;)

For instance, since he's a dj, tell him his mixes suck or are out of key and hurt to listen to. He'll most likely go back to his bedroom with some beers and work on it.
My tunes (triphop/downtempo/beats):
http://www.thenewlaw.com

My podcast:
http://www.senatoradam.com

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:05 pm

funny how people are still giving advice and beats is nowhere to be found.
oddstep wrote:I agree with all of this. I'm just bored of writing "its music, just listen and trust your judgement"

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:17 pm

YOUR BEATS ARE BULLSHIT

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:18 pm

because live's sound engine is crap. :wink:

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:18 pm

your sig is bullshit. :lol:
oddstep wrote:I agree with all of this. I'm just bored of writing "its music, just listen and trust your judgement"

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:23 pm

:mrgreen:

contakt321

Post by contakt321 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:42 pm

Tone Deft wrote:funny how people are still giving advice and beats is nowhere to be found.
Perhaps his hip-hop loving neighbors stole his computer

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:50 pm

contakt321 wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:funny how people are still giving advice and beats is nowhere to be found.
Perhaps his hip-hop loving neighbors stole his computer
or they found out that he didn't move very far. maybe I should give him a call. 8O

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:01 pm

@ Milfhuntr : I'd like to give an ear to your "superglue beats" :o

@ Beats Me / people speaking of 4:4/dancefloor "beats" ;

I like your Minus you tracks, the "beats" seem good in your musical genre, it's not dancefloor 4/4 BTW, and your arrangements seem to focus on the music much more than the "beats".

I don't think the "beats" have to be the first thing to lay down for a track, even dancefloor 4/4...

so that's it?

lay down a "beat", then try to find something to put on it??? if electro is only that kind of hazardous shit... I'm out.

I'm sure the major groovy tracks, dancefloor 4/4 or not, were not created by layering stuff on a "beat". Lots of crap dance tunes may be composed like that, but that's only crap tunes (maybe the random workflow may sometimes give birth to something good, but I'm sure it's very rare.)

I allways begin with a bassline, synth theme... the first "beat" is for me a minimal 4/4 just here to give the groove and adjust the theme/bassline, but then,
when I have the song theme (bassline/theme), I then program my "beats" to match and enhance the groove.

We are all the bullshit of someone else, BTW :wink:

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:47 am

Yeah, I had to take an absence yesterday. A lot to catch up with on here. :x

Thanks to those who went and investigated the bullshit ratio of my beats and commented. :)

I think the other factor is so many artists get complete credit for everything they release and in most cases it's not just one person and at the very least somebody else mastered it or they tested on people and made adjustments based on critiques or maybe even the direct skills of others got their hands on it before it hits your ears.

So many hats we are expected to wear that the average person isn't even aware of. Kind of makes me miss the days of just playing guitar in a band and just recording my percentage and moving on with my day, although I don't miss the group mix sessions with each member demanding "turn my part up!"

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:49 am

thought you won a wet t-shirt contest with your old neighbors. 8O

this thread needs a .wav.

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:00 am

Your beats are bullshit

"Yeh, that's because I'm laying down BULLSHITCORE, ya dig, BITCH?"

starving student

Post by starving student » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:25 am

I don't see how anyone could possibly care in this day and age, we've gone from people called Remixers releasing remixes to people billed as original artist releasing original works that are remixes of other peoples remixes and people calling themselves remixers cannot be found anymore, and this is all out in the open, the dumbing down of what is and what aint is so profound that what ever it is that you do could hardly matter anymore, and I'm all for abolishing labels but when their links are connected to education it's a little sad.