Is anyone else MASSIVELY excited to see Avatar?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
hereschenes

Re: Is anyone else MASSIVELY excited to see Avatar?

Post by hereschenes » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:30 am

ikeaboy wrote:Just got back from it again. As Cameron says its movies, not films that he makes and this is good stuff.
Where I come from, "movie" and "film" are synonyms. What point is he actually making there?

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:34 am

hereschenes wrote:
ikeaboy wrote:Just got back from it again. As Cameron says its movies, not films that he makes and this is good stuff.
Where I come from, "movie" and "film" are synonyms. What point is he actually making there?
I suspect he means don't judge an "Action/Adventure" film the same way as you would judge an "Art Film". - That would be like comparing a Heavy Metal album with a Classical album. Both may be great in their field, but you can't compare one to the other.

The thing is: Is it good at what it tries to do?

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:45 am

ye$.
http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=avatar.htm

Domestic: $435,957,707 32.4%
+
Foreign: $910,847,633 67.6%
=
Worldwide: $1,346,805,340

that's a lot of paper.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:01 am

http://boxofficemojo.com/img/a/avatar/AVTR-100.jpg

1.3 billion, and Behringer mixers.

jimmynitcher

Post by jimmynitcher » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:32 am

here's an interesting viewpoint that sees the film as beyond 'mere' entertainment :

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... -important

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:42 pm

There's an interesting parallel between watching Avatar and the experience of the people with avatars in the movie. I watched the movie and was immersed in this beautiful world where everything was as it should be, then I had to take the glasses off and go home. The main character in the movie goes into his avatar and gets to experience a beautiful world where everything was as it should be (including getting to use his legs) and then he has to unplug from the the avatar and go back to the real world. Interesting. It felt very surreal to me while I was watching the movie.

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:48 pm

jimmynitcher wrote:here's an interesting viewpoint that sees the film as beyond 'mere' entertainment :

That is exactly why I felt so incredibly sad after the movie. Yea, in James Cameron's silly hollywood world there is a happy ending where the forest creatures rise up and save everything, but in the real world there was just massive genocide that has transformed into crushing poverty and depression, and the people that reap the rewards today (myself included) are in blissful denial about it all. Very often I feel I have no right to live here and that I should move to Europe. It's a sick feeling in my stomach.

jimmynitcher

Post by jimmynitcher » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:08 pm

Only parts of europe are guilt-free I think :wink:

Interesting what you say about 'unplugging' I felt that too - I suppose any form of escape is a kind of 'Pandora' ?

smartass303

Post by smartass303 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:16 pm

ethios4 wrote:Very often I feel I have no right to live here and that I should move to Europe. It's a sick feeling in my stomach.
what makes you believe that europe is so different from the states?

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:19 pm

jimmynitcher wrote:here's an interesting viewpoint that sees the film as beyond 'mere' entertainment :

Interesting article 100 million natives down to almost none in 400 years. If anyone is interested in how European countries managed so much conquering I suggest reading Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond. It's no good pointing the finger at our ancestors though given the right circumstances any person born could of been in one of those style armies. Also Behringer! WTF

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:22 pm

wow.

And to think I thought the movie was about the emergence of Kraut Rock.
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:32 pm

smartass303 wrote:
ethios4 wrote:Very often I feel I have no right to live here and that I should move to Europe. It's a sick feeling in my stomach.
what makes you believe that europe is so different from the states?

Probably because I know less about European history! I guess every place has its history of invasion and subjugation, and if it hasn't been invaded it's probably been the invader.

See, this is what Avatar-depression is all about...futile longing for a reality that doesn't exist.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:37 pm

ikeaboy wrote:

Interesting article 100 million natives down to almost none in 400 years. If anyone is interested in how European countries managed so much conquering I suggest reading Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond. It's no good pointing the finger at our ancestors though given the right circumstances any person born could of been in one of those style armies. Also Behringer! WTF

It's not an interesting article. It's fucking painful. What, this douchebag thinks he's actually revealing something that the predominantly overeducated white readership of the Guardian don't already know? Seriously? Fuck me.

For that matter, his comments about people not wanting to deal with that part of American history are complete shite. FFS. For the last 20+ years there have been scores of books and movies that endeavored to set the record straight on what happened to the native people of the Americas.
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

jimmynitcher

Post by jimmynitcher » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:49 pm

I think he is suggesting Avatar is part of that.

Maybe you're right though, maybe he shouldn't have written it, I mean, its nothing we don't already know right, waste of time, we should always be on our guard not to 'overeducate' ourselves, I did that once and my brain literally turned to a piece of carrot cake, somebody came out of a Tarkovsky film and ate me - I f***** deserved it though.

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:05 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:
It's not an interesting article. It's fucking painful. What, this douchebag thinks he's actually revealing something that the predominantly overeducated white readership of the Guardian don't already know? Seriously? Fuck me.

For that matter, his comments about people not wanting to deal with that part of American history are complete shite. FFS. For the last 20+ years there have been scores of books and movies that endeavored to set the record straight on what happened to the native people of the Americas.
What's your point? People shouldn't mention this stuff because its done to death and anyone who really cares has read a book about it already? Could the article have been written better or just not written at all? Are Guardian writers and readers all disingenuous or something? Behringer??

Edited because I can't spell guardian