APC40 and Max4Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
boddhisattva007

APC40 and Max4Live

Post by boddhisattva007 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:30 pm

I just saw that Novation has released a patch for Max4Live for use with their launchpad controller. Any ideas on when this kind of program/patch for max4live will be available for the APC40?

B

brianbacio

Re: APC40 and Max4Live

Post by brianbacio » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:22 pm

open it up in live and you will see that there is a APC 40 connection installed if you so wish.
BrianBacio
a modern computer and all sorts of hardware

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:50 pm

brianbacio wrote:open it up in live and you will see that there is a APC 40 connection installed if you so wish.
With a step sequencer? Are you saying open up Max for Live to find the APC40 connection? Or open up Novation's new Step Sequencer device?

I'd love to use that Novation step sequencer on the APC40. It's the first one i've seen that let's you input velocity and length etc, quite easily. However, it seems like you are forced to be in a certain scale, confined to 8 notes. That sounds very limiting.I like the 8 note idea (goes with the buttons), but it needs some way of making sharps/flats if there isn't already.
Professional Shark Jumper.

boddhisattva007

Post by boddhisattva007 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:54 pm

I don't think novation would provide a patch to be usable with the akai's APC40... but yeah, I'm also a little unclear as to what you were referring to. Any clarification?

I just remembered reading before I bought the apc40 that there would be all sorts of neat little patches available for it in max4live
(to be clear, I haven't bought max4live yet so there could be something that I'm missing)

B

brianbacio

Post by brianbacio » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:35 am

open up launchpadstepseq in live (with mfl) and select APC 40 as pad (choice is Launchpad, apc40 or genericscript).
BrianBacio
a modern computer and all sorts of hardware

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:41 am

glitchrock-buddha wrote:
I'd love to use that Novation step sequencer on the APC40. It's the first one i've seen that let's you input velocity and length etc, quite easily. However, it seems like you are forced to be in a certain scale, confined to 8 notes. That sounds very limiting.I like the 8 note idea (goes with the buttons), but it needs some way of making sharps/flats if there isn't already.
If you watch more than the first part of the video :wink: , you clearly see the ability to work over more than eight steps, as well as the possibility to change the scale.

.m

babkubwa

Post by babkubwa » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:26 pm

wow - that looks so much fun. Very easy workflow, nice job novation!

looking forward to buying max for live in a few months - probably be may or june before i get the spare cash, wander if it'll be cheaper by then?

sheesh - I'm gonna be loving my launchpad so much more. .

RajahP

Post by RajahP » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:02 pm

That step seq. seem mind blowing.. Been using Sugar bytes Thesys to kick out some great basslines, could imagine what this can do... any videos on THIS?

mnmlmike

Post by mnmlmike » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:18 pm

Yes it does say APC40 when you load StepSeq into Ableton. However if you look at the video Novation says you have to put the launchpad into User2 mode. The APC40 doesn't have
User2 mode. Has anyone figured out a way around this? Would love to use this in side Ableton!

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:28 pm

mnmlmike wrote:Yes it does say APC40 when you load StepSeq into Ableton. However if you look at the video Novation says you have to put the launchpad into User2 mode. The APC40 doesn't have
User2 mode. Has anyone figured out a way around this? Would love to use this in side Ableton!
Have you tried?

.m

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:47 pm

Lo-Fi Massahkah wrote:
glitchrock-buddha wrote:
If you watch more than the first part of the video :wink: , you clearly see the ability to work over more than eight steps, as well as the possibility to change the scale.

.m
I've watched the entire video and i know you can have sequences longer than 8 steps. I was talking about being limited to 8 notes in an octave. And I know you can change the scale. But supposing I want a pattern that goes. E-G-Ab-A? I need 3 consecutive half tones. It was not obvious from the video that this could be done. And given how limited most step sequencers out there are so far, I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't allow you to go out of the scale. I simply wouldn't use a sequencer which locked me in any scale (unless you can chose chromatic, but where would the other 4 notes be?). I'd love to be wrong.

Since the APC40 and Launchpad both have 3 colors per button, it would be perfect to have a different color for sharp and flat from the default note.
Professional Shark Jumper.

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:59 pm

Sorry, mate.

Misread you.

:roll:

.m

babkubwa

Post by babkubwa » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:02 am

Is it possible to do more than one note at once? Chords?

RajahP

Post by RajahP » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:32 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:
I've watched the entire video and i know you can have sequences longer than 8 steps. I was talking about being limited to 8 notes in an octave. And I know you can change the scale. But supposing I want a pattern that goes. E-G-Ab-A? I need 3 consecutive half tones. It was not obvious from the video that this could be done. And given how limited most step sequencers out there are so far, I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't allow you to go out of the scale. I simply wouldn't use a sequencer which locked me in any scale (unless you can chose chromatic, but where would the other 4 notes be?). I'd love to be wrong.

Since the APC40 and Launchpad both have 3 colors per button, it would be perfect to have a different color for sharp and flat from the default note.

Anyone modified the Launchpad StepSeq recently?

Markemark

Post by Markemark » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:20 pm

RajahP wrote:
glitchrock-buddha wrote:

Anyone modified the Launchpad StepSeq recently?
I'm in the process of modding it for use with the apc40. About half way there.
Last edited by Markemark on Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.