OMG who is this dude?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
90's child

Re: OMG who is this dude?

Post by 90's child » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:58 am

what about Live's sound engine? lol

loquat

Post by loquat » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:04 am

90's child wrote:what about Live's sound engine? lol
Oh it still sucks ass, of course! :mrgreen:

If I type that in CAPS it becomes MORE TRUE!

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:04 am

Wow, that was really nice. Proper sampling work going on there, and great production skills. 8)

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:55 am

My thoughts exactly.

Every time I see one of those idiots cussing the sound engine I relise we're dealing with someone who simply isn't very skilled, is lazy and expects the software to do everything for them...like...errr. say...Logic?

Truly impressive vid, showing ableton in a great light!

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:59 pm

UKRuss wrote:
My thoughts exactly.

Every time I see one of those idiots cussing the sound engine I relise we're dealing with someone who simply isn't very skilled, is lazy and expects the software to do everything for them...like...errr. say...Logic?

Truly impressive vid, showing ableton in a great light!
in all fairness, OK live's soundengine discussion are all a whole lot of rubbish... but what on earth is to be processed / produced and skilfully mixed using samples from already very well and perfectly produced sounds / snippets that are mixed well ???

and also i agree that this video does show a greater importance, skill and ideas / creativity and musicality.

real mix and production skills see the light when you work with purely raw / mic'ed material... not with pre-processed samples, seriously.\\
*** Image GAFM ***

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:28 pm

Possibly. I'm not convinced as anyone who has tried to 'beef up' a sampled drum loop knows, particularly if you take it from vinyl.

drako

Post by drako » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:59 pm

Btw the sound sucked at the end, he needed a lot of dynamics tools to tame and mask the clean sound, and still sounded waayyy not thick as the original.
The original source used a sp 1200 and a w30 to sample, mastered and mixed in the strongroom London i think.
For me the only thing it proves , that it is a pain to mix in a daw to achieve this .
:|

kb420

Post by kb420 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:30 pm

drako wrote:Btw the sound sucked at the end, he needed a lot of dynamics tools to tame and mask the clean sound, and still sounded waayyy not thick as the original.
The original source used a sp 1200 and a w30 to sample, mastered and mixed in the strongroom London i think.
For me the only thing it proves , that it is a pain to mix in a daw to achieve this .

Yeah. You know what, you are right. From now on I plan on mixing all of my tracks in the strongroom London. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I thought that was on of the greatest Live videos I have ever seen. Thanks for the link!!!!!!
Last edited by kb420 on Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H20nly wrote:fuck Bitwig.

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:47 pm

that was cool, and wow, i never saw so much tracks and returns in a single project!!

I shall learn from that!

1) do you have any links to good tutorials for setting up and using such return, it could really beef up the sound?

2) what is the "GTR" plug, with all the guitar pedals? seem really good sounding, and the way it makes a huge fat and agressive sound from a "ridiculous" simple synth patch really impressed me!?

3) sample operation / video opinion : I had already viewed a video on the SMBU making of, a funny one with little papers stuck everywhere on the microwave, the toilets.. this present one is really interesting to my eyes, for reason 1), I never done a so huge song with so many tracks and returns...

cheers

Action Jackson

Post by Action Jackson » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:54 pm

monstrejumo wrote: 2) what is the "GTR" plug, with all the guitar pedals? seem really good sounding, and the way it makes a huge fat and agressive sound from a "ridiculous" simple synth patch really impressed me!?
Isn't that Guitar rig?

:Metaphor:

Post by :Metaphor: » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:03 pm

No, that's Waves GTR.

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:12 pm

well that seems really cool. And there is a big waves product discount these times... :roll:

what do you think about this? useful for real, even if I don't use guitars?

cheers

Action Jackson

Post by Action Jackson » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:18 pm

monstrejumo wrote:well that seems really cool. And there is a big waves product discount these times... :roll:

what do you think about this? useful for real, even if I don't use guitars?

cheers
Definitely useful, although I can't affor Waves pugins now that I bought Komplete. :evil:

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:12 pm

I find some of his send effect choices to be as little odd, I've never thought about having a send track just for chorus or distortion. hm..
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

drako

Post by drako » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:57 pm

kb420 wrote:
drako wrote:Btw the sound sucked at the end, he needed a lot of dynamics tools to tame and mask the clean sound, and still sounded waayyy not thick as the original.

Yeah. You know what, you are right. From now on I plan on mixing all of my tracks in the strongroom London. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
That is just one part of the chain, the source is the most important.
Sampling in a daw or using a sp1200 or w30 in this case, makes a lot of difference.