ABLETON BEING STRECHED TOO THIN

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
UKRuss

Re: ABLETON BEING STRECHED TOO THIN

Post by UKRuss » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:36 pm

Tarekith wrote:
UKRuss wrote:Snowed in in Sussex. Been sledging with the kids today. :D
Breaking up concrete with large hammers? Aren't there child labor laws against that kind of thing in the UK?
The wife was recoverin from her injuries so...no choice.

Mint Invader

Post by Mint Invader » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:37 pm

I honestly find that catering to both the Producer and the "DJ" (I would say more so a Performer) is fantastic! It allows me to stay exclusivly in one software package. An really bug wise this software miracle is so stable it has never crashed on my. My hats off to you Ableton, shooting for the stars and reaching the end of the universe!
Because Whatever.

Dennis DeSantis

Post by Dennis DeSantis » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:53 pm

Hi folks,

If you're having issues with Live 8.1, please try out the latest beta:

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=131691

This (and the previous two beta versions) should fix a number of known issues.

If you're still having problems with the latest beta, then please let us know. But please understand that it's very difficult to diagnose bugs and issues based on forum posts like "there seems to be problems." We need to know substantially more information before we can hope to help.

Best,

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:18 pm

Dennis DeSantis wrote:Hi folks,

If you're still having problems with the latest beta, then please let us know. But please understand that it's very difficult to diagnose bugs and issues based on forum posts like "there seems to be problems." We need to know substantially more information before we can hope to help.

Best,
Hi Dennis
Please see this thread

This is still happening in the latest beta.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:21 pm

Best,

i cant run the beta... it says that i dont have a live 8 serial and dont allows manual input of my serial number..

is this a new safety measure? do you think that will scare hackers one minute?
however..rather your problem because i tend to stumble upon bugs ...
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:23 pm

twisted-space wrote:

Best,
Hi Dennis
Please see this thread

This is still happening in the latest beta.
I suggest you bump the thread and add your system specs along with the version of Live you're using.
Also, since the beta is crashing too you can provide Ableton with a crash pack that contains more info than you could ever be bothered to type. The log shows Ableton when in your session Sylenth crashed. With a bit off luck the other logs show why.

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:55 pm

^
Done.

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:25 pm

tw1nstates wrote:
Pasha wrote:I don't get paid by Ableton.
Sorry but my Macbook and my iMac NEVER CRASH!
10.5.6 and Live 8.0.8 / 8.0.4

Macs should be 'standard' in terms of operative system so
why some Macs are reported not to work and some others work fine?
As an IT Pro, my only answer is :

1) Some of your upgrades went bad and some kernel stuff is corrupted (Apple's bad but it might eventually happen)
2) Some crap extensions you downloaded broke your OS (generally kernel modules, have been added to your system)
3) Some utility that silently places some background process in your system
4) Snow Leopard is not fully tested (i.e. Snow Leopard breaks iMovie 09 is some circumstances...)
5) Faulty Hardware

Live should be 'standard' and not possible to be code edited so problems must come from:

1) Offending VST/AU (Cracked versions, freeware/shareware not properly coded)
2) Offending branded VST/AU (Some have been reported by the Abes some eventually will, software is shit it might happen)
3) Audio/MIDI Hardware driver has bugs (suggest to try with internal Audio card who uses Coreaudio)
4) Live has some bugs

So before claiming 'Live has bugs' there are a lot of things to check.
We as computer owners (Win or Mac doesn't care) should learn to kill the insane habit
of continuously downloading crap from the net and install it or begin using Sandboxes instead.
Test and then put in production environment when ok. I know is time consuming, but on a Mac you need
29 Dollars for Superduper and an external Drive (100 Dollars) and you can isolate problems and solve them.
We are responsible for our computers, not Ableton.
If after all this, well documented and proven, someone still has stopping bugs then it's perfectly legit
to whine and complaint. BTW I'm not saying you need to spend money (see above) to prove a Live's bug,
but if you call yourself a pro then act as such. Pro I know who work in studios never, never do anything harmful
to themselves, they do not put their work in jeopardy by installing every piece of crap they found on the net
on the production machine, never update software (OS or DAW) before gigs or studio recordings.
Test every DAW release before commit it in a production environment. Test every OS release before commit it
in production environment.... And if you are not a pro, well it's good habit to follow the above suggestion
to avoid headaches. Making music and using computers should be a pleasure not an agony. With a little
grain of salt everyone can flip a bad night into a music making day, with no worries.

my 2 cents

- Best
- Pasha
actually you have missed out a significant other posibility, that the system is being maxed out and therfore is causing problems under load.

I honestly think that is the problem as I wasnb't having the same problems under live 7.

So, think about it. If all systems are the same, (macs which they aren't as 10.4, .5 and .6 are different). And I didn't have problems with live 7 then more than likely it's live 8 that's causing the issues?

Esp when I have had vst's that work fine and have done for years crash a project when I drag em onto a new track. . .
Thanks for pointing this out, interesting topic, especially from a software architecture point of view.
It might be that some added complexity to the software can cause issues under certain loads and this is surely something that Ableton should address.Probably the reason why I can't get crash is that I'm using it under max capacity. I'll try to stress it a little bit more.

- Cheers
- Pasha
Apple Desktop / Laptop
Live 9 Suite,Zebra 2.6,Guitar, Bass, VG99, JV1010 and some controllers

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:50 pm

Why is it that thread topics come in clusters on the forum?

Who is it that picks these topics?

Is this done on a weekly, monthly, quarterly or annual basis?

tw1nstates

Post by tw1nstates » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:55 am

I think it's like the tipping point, or critical mass. Or some other fancily named thing for a load of ppl experiencing the same problems at the same time. ..

@ Pasha, yeah, i am beginning to narrow it down, freezing every Au on my system is on way forward, but, come on I shouldn't have tpo work like that, and when i do and then copy and paste saecions in arrange I get massive cpu spikes on the 'joins' i.e. where I did cmd shoft +d. . .

Interestingly enough I have noticed that on system monitor that even when freezing everything live is still taking up 2.5 gigs of ram or whatever on the projects it's causing a problem with, so it suggests that it's freezing the tracks and then not freeing up the ram, perhaps that's causing the crashes. Submitted to support this idea today so will be interesting to see what they come back with. Disclaimer - I am not a computer programmer so i don't know how this actually works, if anyone else can chip in with a more enlightened view then i'd love to get a better handle.

So, for now i can get some work done with less crashes by freezing everythign. But, Freeze is sloooooooooooow. on an octocore mac as well. it's slower to render or freeze stuff than to play it back in real time sometimes - WTF???
I slipped into a daze, whilst I was there I heard the most startling music, it was at once familiar and alien, reassuring and unsettling.
https://soundcloud.com/fearoftherave

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:24 am

tw1nstates wrote:I think it's like the tipping point, or critical mass. Or some other fancily named thing for a load of ppl experiencing the same problems at the same time. ..

@ Pasha, yeah, i am beginning to narrow it down, freezing every Au on my system is on way forward, but, come on I shouldn't have tpo work like that, and when i do and then copy and paste saecions in arrange I get massive cpu spikes on the 'joins' i.e. where I did cmd shoft +d. . .

Interestingly enough I have noticed that on system monitor that even when freezing everything live is still taking up 2.5 gigs of ram or whatever on the projects it's causing a problem with, so it suggests that it's freezing the tracks and then not freeing up the ram, perhaps that's causing the crashes. Submitted to support this idea today so will be interesting to see what they come back with. Disclaimer - I am not a computer programmer so i don't know how this actually works, if anyone else can chip in with a more enlightened view then i'd love to get a better handle.

So, for now i can get some work done with less crashes by freezing everythign. But, Freeze is sloooooooooooow. on an octocore mac as well. it's slower to render or freeze stuff than to play it back in real time sometimes - WTF???
You memory load is huge. I do all my stuff on 2 GB iMac with no problem even if free memory reported is only 200 MB.
Something's happening there. I can't reproduce it here. Are a you a Snow Leopard or a Leopard? Friend of mine downgraded
from Snow Leopard to Leopard just yesterday because iLife 09 was acting weird during rendering in iMovie.
Now everything stable again. BTW have you checked your memory banks? Try rendering a big movie in iLife and see what happens.
if it stops in the middle or crashes if might be a faulty RAM stick or the same Snow Leopard 'bug'.
Apple Desktop / Laptop
Live 9 Suite,Zebra 2.6,Guitar, Bass, VG99, JV1010 and some controllers

ckluxen

Post by ckluxen » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:21 pm

Didnt read it all here and Im always having problem with crashes.
especially duplicating loops in arrange and using in combination with max. rolling ball at mac and a lot of clicks and pops. and that on a mac quad pro. I dont like arranging in ableton and to freeze is the only option. Im using renoise beta now a lot and since the last month ableton crashed ofen and renoise is absolute stable. and the updates at all dont change that.

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:27 pm

WOW back from the dead....Those were really bad times for live 8. This thread needs to go back where it came from
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Swing like your life depends on it