check out the schwarzonator

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Shillelagh Law

Re: check out the schwarzonator

Post by Shillelagh Law » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:40 am

:!:
Anyone who responds to this message is a stalker. That's the law.

TE1973

Post by TE1973 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:38 pm

so what is the difference to the scale & chord plugin if you use both of them in a row?

thefinger

Post by thefinger » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:42 am

personally i would rather learn theory than acquaint myself with yet another f*cking plugin

seriously though, knowing music theory is more like cheating than anything from the schwarzonator. while all the hobbyists are struggling to capture their inspiration fiddling with a clunky layer of obfuscation, i can simply analyze a few measures from somebody else that i think sound cool, substitute chords, change the rhythm maybe, play around with it a bit and be rocking and rolling in a few minutes with just a piano. really once you get a good musical head on your shoulders, chord names, inversions, the specifics etc become more irrelevant, because its all used to describe concepts you will ultimately become familiar enough with.

if i play a G chord in a C scale i dont need to know that it is specifically G, i just need to know that it is the dominant of whatever scale i happen to be playing in at the moment and i know how close i want the voicing to be. the actual inversion name is incidental to what you are doing naturally. the only real reason for knowing this specifically is for communication to other musicians, but that is becoming less necessary with project files and piano roll etc. still, its nice to be able to sit down at a piano, play a little bit and write it down without going through the hooplah of starting up a laptop.

at the end of the day though, i refuse to work with other people who dont know how to read music and have at least a basic knowledge of theory (what is tonic, what is domnant, and chord construction at the very least). its not the specific detail of reading music that i'm after, it's an attitude.

and thats just my 2 cents.

djwack

Post by djwack » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:09 pm

v.2 beta is out, hooray!

Personally, I love schwarzonator. It will be a valuable tool for learning this overrated "western music theory" a little better.

So I don't know chords, scales, harmonies.. big deal. If one's music is just general music-theory wankery it might sound convincing, but there's more to good music than that. Now people like me can also take a part in that wankery :)

Seriously folks - I smell a serious case of "real DJ's beatmix by hand, with vinyl" all over this thread. Autochorders will not destroy music. If that was the case then we'd all be using that esoteric 80s sequencer that's still unrivaled by any other in terms of auto-accompaniment and autochord generation (it was made by a well-known synth wizard, alas the name escapes me ATM)