Stuff you have bought and dont use

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Jacqueslacouth

Re: Stuff you have bought and dont use

Post by Jacqueslacouth » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:19 am

MPC5000....$2400 paperweight.
Vanguard
PSP Nitro
Reason 4
My really nice Yamaha RM800 desk...just no room
Rode Microphones..I have no confidence in my voice anymore
Coyote Tequila

rbmonosylabik

Post by rbmonosylabik » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:05 am

I have a BCR2000 that I've never used because it's a piece of crap that restarts or locks up after 15 minutes of use, which I got to replace another BCR2000 which I broke from excessive abuse.

MBP 2.3 GHz i5, Live 9.6.1, Push, MPD32, Rane SL2

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:09 am

Apparently I learnt from another thread...PSP Nitro and Vocano 2.

:lol:

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:35 am

we have an old mc-don't know the number groovebox sitting in our studio that never gets used. but that's it, more or less.

I don't use 98% of my live-library, though.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:46 am

parma wrote:
daHornet (awesome underrated synth)
plus a million on that, it's analog sound heaven this one...

i totally forgot about this little awesome piece of software... i should actually check, i was never aware that they ported it to UB.
*** Image GAFM ***

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:06 pm

Rave, PM me your boring Traktor pro licence, you'll feel much free and happy without it :D

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:38 pm

i bought two of those: Image

and then never used them. i noted i don't like the rotary things to correct tracks while djing. i prefer buttons..

i am strange :)

and yes, those are now two soundcards + midi devices i never use.. and i waited for delivery of them for over 6 months... :(
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

Yeh

Post by Yeh » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:59 pm

Most of the hardware synths I own, I never use, except my Virus Classic. 5 years ago I've sold my Yamaha A3000 sampler and Emu Xtreme Lead, 3 years later I've bought them again and still don't use them. I've bought an MPC1000 and sold it 2 years later.

Software is so much easier, everything is in the box. I've done a test with my Juno 60 (real analogue) and the TAL U-no62 vsti. Although the TAL was a very good emulation, the Juno 60 sounded a little better/'fatter'. But I doubt if anyone can hear that in a full mix. Hardware samplers and virtual analogue synths are digital anyway.

And yeah, I seldom use Recycle and Zero-X Beat Creator since both Live and Cubase can do the trick.
Kind regardz,

Jos
http://www.portonova.nl

Ableton Live 8, Cubase 7, Melodyne Editor 2, Halion 4, Presonus Audiobox 44VSL soundcard, Windows 8, 64 bit, i5, 6 Gig RAM

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:27 pm

that was obvious, and it still hurt somehow :) big ouch :)
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

Andrei

Post by Andrei » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:08 pm

Novation Nocturn

Selects all the buttons on the same parameter (like cutoff for example) no matter what I do.

Sometines it doesn't even do that, it selects all bottons to value NT128 (G8)

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:09 pm

Jacqueslacouth wrote:MPC5000....$2400 paperweight.
Vanguard
PSP Nitro
Reason 4
My really nice Yamaha RM800 desk...just no room
Rode Microphones..I have no confidence in my voice anymore
Coyote Tequila

mpc5000.....it seems that akai is on the verge of discontinuing the machine because retailers like musiciansfriend.com are bundling it with an mpc 500, oxygen keyboard, alongside dj hero for any system of your choice........but don't sell it now...wait 5-10 years when its no loner in circulation and then you can sell a mint mpc 5000 for what you paid for it.

psp nitro....i had the cracked version of this.........i knew after the first few hours of using it that i would never use it again

you have a rode microphone....use it or lose it....do something. Use autotune. Record handclaps or acoustic instruments.....your microphone is waiting to be unleashed.

that tequila would be gone in a month or so whenevef i feel like having nightcaps.

aizo

Post by aizo » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:27 pm

MC909:
It was taking up a lot of room. It had to go.
I permanently lent it to my pal at work which is the best feeling because he enjoys it
so much more than I do.
Electribe EMX-1:
I love this little thing but I barely use it. I think that the synths can sound unique but it's
pretty much a one trick pony. I hate the drum sounds and of course you can't change them. I'll never get rid of it because
it was a birthday present from my wife from before we got married.
Reason:
Just like many others I stopped using Reason when I got Live. It can sound pretty great but the amount of extra work and layering
is bothersome compared to some of my favorite AU's like Sylenth, Alchemy, or those from NI which brings me to.....
FM8:
There was a point when I was having a bit of a writer's block and to get inspiration I was diving into plugs I had that I don't
really use that much. I got through most of Komplete but I either a.) don't like what I can come up with in FM8 or b.) need
to dig deeper.....
Most of Live Suite(Sampler, Tension, Electric, Collision, and Impulse):
I've just never had much use for Impulse. Unless someone can point me to as why it's better to use than drum racks it will sit.
Collision is a good plug but just don't have much use for that sound. Tension and Electric are OK but just don't have a use for those sounds in my type of music. BUT maybe I do so I need to investigate more!
MOTU MX4
I used to be a HUGE MOTU whore. It was my first plug that I bought. At the time I thought it sounded so amazing but it
sounds WAY too digital for my taste.
Altiverb:
I got out of the mastering business because it took away from my creative juices. It's a great plug but it's an overkill for
me.
Last edited by aizo on Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

alex.the.forge

Post by alex.the.forge » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:14 pm

I feel I should be the voice of christmas present

I have just bought the upgrade to Komplete 6 and Waves WUP and Antares Evo

Time to update all of them after not being able to use them or afford to upgrade on my newest machine

I have to say I have found my happy medium

Live 8.1 with Max 4 Live
Komplete 6
Waves Gold 7
Antares Evo

erm...maybe one or two .. PSP Nitro because it was $10 and another couple: TC electronic M30, FAW Circle, Microtonic

honestly I really can't see how I could justify another purchase for quite some time

HiEnergy

Post by HiEnergy » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:29 pm

Guess I'll soon phase out Wusikstation 5 as I now have Kontakt 4 with lots of much better content compared to Wusikstation.

Since now I almost never used Energy XT2 but this will change now as Energy XT doesn't remove the keyboard focus from the Native Instruments plug-ins like Live does.
When editing Reaktor ensembles one has to enter values via keyboard all the time.

I also rarely use DiscoDSP Phantom and Vertigo (Phantom finally deprecated by FM8 and Vertigo made way for Alchemy).

Same (mostly) goes for the Live 8 Suite integrated instruments (Operator, Analog, Tension, Collision, Electric) for me. At least I don't use these for sound design very often.