Keeping the damn master level below 0db

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
BOB Cooper

Re: Keeping the damn master level below 0db

Post by BOB Cooper » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:39 pm

you have the right words subfunk... except if, again, he needs the resampling function... if the master is not set to 0db, when you lanuch your resampling clip you won't get easily the same volume compared to the clips-to-be-resampled- playing toghether. wich is a problem, in a live situation.
(that's why I prefer to set the tracks on a low volume, instead of the master)

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:46 pm

BOB Cooper wrote:you have the right words subfunk... except if, again, he needs the resampling function... if the master is not set to 0db, when you lanuch your resampling clip you won't get easily the same volume compared to the clips-to-be-resampled- playing toghether. wich is a problem, in a live situation.
in a live situation, fair enough... still as you say, keeping generally the levels down and using the PA volume is the right way to go... also of course in a live situation a limiter used subtle to tame the levels not to squeeze them is also ok, and sorry for my harsh words... but it really makes me going ARRRGGHHH... volume is by far the damn most unimportant issue in a track / mix... that is what we have volume knobs on our playback systems for.
*** Image GAFM ***

BOB Cooper

Post by BOB Cooper » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:17 pm

SubFunk wrote:
BOB Cooper wrote:you have the right words subfunk... except if, again, he needs the resampling function... if the master is not set to 0db, when you lanuch your resampling clip you won't get easily the same volume compared to the clips-to-be-resampled- playing toghether. wich is a problem, in a live situation.
in a live situation, fair enough... still as you say, keeping generally the levels down and using the PA volume is the right way to go... also of course in a live situation a limiter used subtle to tame the levels not to squeeze them is also ok, and sorry for my harsh words... but it really makes me going ARRRGGHHH... volume is by far the damn most unimportant issue in a track / mix... that is what we have volume knobs on our playback systems for.
no problem for the harsch words, I globally totally agree with you :wink: (especially for a studio usage).

I try myself to avoid limiters even in live situation. but to be honest I didn't manage it very well so far without it (I mean, there are always a few highly clipping shit), as I try to make the music really "live" (no arrangment dead robots), mixing manually in real-time all my numerous tracks and using electric or acoustic instruments in songs that have a huge range of dynamic, from shy guitar arpeggios to layers of distorted guitars over agressive beats and lot of very tiny concrete/acoustic samples. I really don't like the constant volume/compressed attitude of nowadays, but my way of doing is an open door to bad surprises sometimes.
still hesitating to use a limited limiter or just waiting/working to be better skilled.

ChiDJ

Post by ChiDJ » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:22 pm

What Sub-Funk said.

It takes discipline, patience. Learn this method. It will pay off.

Tod
"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"

BOB Cooper

Post by BOB Cooper » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:40 pm

indeed the option I've chosen recently.
I'm taking an almost-one-year break away from stages, to rethink and practice my whole electronic-instrumentation. don't wanna stop being an instrumentist (and improviser), because of the easiness of programmability of laptop softwares.
just want to keep being in-the-moment. accidents, under-determinability and real-time contextual adaptation are the motorwheels of life, so they indeed have to be at the core of a live music.