Help with Native Instruments DJ2 or DJ4 please (mac user)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
lowendtheory

Help with Native Instruments DJ2 or DJ4 please (mac user)

Post by lowendtheory » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:02 pm

Hi,
I am looking into buying a NI DJ2 or DJ4 so I can monitor while using Live on my iMac.
Here's what I don't understand: I will obviously use 1 of the 1/4" outs for headphone monitoring. But I want to use my built-in iMac speakers as my main studio speakers (I live in a small apartment and have to be pretty quiet). Am I supposed to route the other 1/4" out back into my 1/8" input on my iMac to do this? Wouldn't that make it mono? Or is it possible to route my main out through the USB cable somehow?

SubFunk

Re: Help with Native Instruments DJ2 or DJ4 please (mac user)

Post by SubFunk » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:24 pm

your on a mac, that means you can create an aggregate device in audio / midi setup in OSX, 'combining' the onboard card that feed the inbuilt speakers and the external dj 2/4 card that will feed your headphones...

then you need to route the master out the onboard card in live and use the dj 2/4 for cueing.

no physical cable runs are necessary.
*** Image GAFM ***

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:41 pm

On a Mac it just works, you don't need to anything.

lowendtheory

Post by lowendtheory » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:25 pm

I realized I actually messed up my question: I asked about running a 1/4" Out fn the DJ 2/4 into my iMac's 1/8" In. But the 1/8" jack on my iMac is an Output, not an Input. Sorry for any confusion...

Anyway,
SubFunk, maybe you or someone else can help me? I've actually already got an ART USB Phono Plus interface. But I've been unable to get it to monitor properly (that's why I was thinking of getting the NI DJ2 or 4). It has a separate headphone jack, along with a stereo RCA Preamp Line Out.
I've set up the aggregate device in my iMac's Audio/ MIDI setup. I can see a visual level on whatever track is set to cue. But I can't hear the cue. I can't figure out why! Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

lowendtheory

Post by lowendtheory » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:26 pm

djsynchro wrote:On a Mac it just works, you don't need to anything.
I wish!!!

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:31 pm

lowendtheory wrote:I realized I actually messed up my question: I asked about running a 1/4" Out fn the DJ 2/4 into my iMac's 1/8" In. But the 1/8" jack on my iMac is an Output, not an Input. Sorry for any confusion...

Anyway,
SubFunk, maybe you or someone else can help me? I've actually already got an ART USB Phono Plus interface. But I've been unable to get it to monitor properly (that's why I was thinking of getting the NI DJ2 or 4). It has a separate headphone jack, along with a stereo RCA Preamp Line Out.
I've set up the aggregate device in my iMac's Audio/ MIDI setup. I can see a visual level on whatever track is set to cue. But I can't hear the cue. I can't figure out why! Any idea what I might be doing wrong?
it would help if you can post a screenshot...

it might be that you under the master fader in live... did not set up the routing correctly, e.g. master out and cue out, or not all I/Os are activated in live's preferences?

also you need to activate the cue button of the channel you want to listen to... maybe simply the cue volume is not up in live?, it can be many things...

try to post a screenshot.
*** Image GAFM ***

lowendtheory

Post by lowendtheory » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:18 am

@ Subfunk- what do you think?

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:24 am

hmmm... does the art has it's own mixer / routing software?
check if out 3/4 is really going to the phones out.

if you have set up the aggregate device properly so that out 1/2 is able to go to the internal card (iMac speakers) and 3/4 to the art...
then it should work.

is there a different option for the art card? like 5/6 out? try... i don't know the art card in detail... like i use a card that has 5/6 hardwired internally to the phones out of the card...

do you get a sound on the 1/2 out master?

btw, which skin is that?
*** Image GAFM ***

lowendtheory

Post by lowendtheory » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:49 am

So frustrated!

I don't think this ART interface even has any software (I just checked out the disc again) Is that possible? It came with Audacity, but I don't think I'm supposed to use that for routing (?)

Maybe I should just buy the NI DJ2 and hope someone at NI can walk me through the setup...

The skin is called Nautic.

Anyway, Subfunk, thanks for trying. Not sure where to go from here (other than try a different card)

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:56 am

some cards don't need software mixers / routings and it can be a very good thing! my DJ card and old scratchamp2 does not have any software or drivers you need to install, it's great for gigs, core audio plug in and nothing can really go wrong... it is a dead, dead solid card and sounds damn good for club PAs (i got it for free, if i had to buy a new one i probably would get a DJ8 from NI, but i can't see this card ever breaking, i probably have to loose it to get a new one)

did you tried if there are other options under the drop down menu except 3/4 maybe the phones output is routed odd... i would try all options that appear there...
*** Image GAFM ***