Help with Native Instruments DJ2 or DJ4 please (mac user)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
lowendtheory

Help with Native Instruments DJ2 or DJ4 please (mac user)

Post by lowendtheory » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:03 pm

Hi,
I am looking into buying a NI DJ2 or DJ4 so I can monitor while using Live on my iMac.
Here's what I don't understand: I will obviously use 1 of the 1/4" outs for headphone monitoring. But I want to use my built-in iMac speakers as my main studio speakers (I live in a small apartment and have to be pretty quiet). Am I supposed to route the other 1/4" out back into my 1/8" input on my iMac to do this? Wouldn't that make it mono? Or is it possible to route my main out through the USB cable somehow?

vicz

Re: Help with Native Instruments DJ2 or DJ4 please (mac user)

Post by vicz » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:23 pm

You need to make a new aggregate device using OSX Audio MIDI setup utility, joining your internal and external devices into one logical aggregate device (see the AudioMIDI Setup Help for how to do this). Select it in Live's Audio preferences, then you can select any of its outputs in Live's Master Channel Cue out and Master Out dropdowns.

ewistrand

Re: Help with Native Instruments DJ2 or DJ4 please (mac user)

Post by ewistrand » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:27 pm

lowendtheory wrote:Hi,
Here's what I don't understand: I will obviously use 1 of the 1/4" outs for headphone monitoring.
?

There's only one 1/4" jack- and yes, it's for headphones. The other outputs are RCA...

ew