Audio Interface ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
cmreal04

Audio Interface ?

Post by cmreal04 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:21 pm

I just bought a new interface and it has a digital line in / line out connection on the back, what would you use that for ? :oops:

CM
Ableton 9, Feeltune Rhizome, Focusrite Pro, Mpk249....

dj_huck

Re: Audio Interface ?

Post by dj_huck » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:32 pm

some devices have a digital line in or out ie synths mic pre's fx etc. you would use that with those. or you can get a high end a/d convertor or d/a convertor and possibly get a better sound

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:01 pm

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... t=S%2FPDIF

I made this thread a while ago (with my old log-in name). I now have a Presonus Central Station and I run an optical S/PDIF from my Vizio TV set to the Central Station. This way I can play the TV's audio through my Genelec monitors.

Just think of digital I/O as the same thing as analog audio I/O, just with a different protocol. ADAT, S/PDIF, AES, etc., is just another way to pass digitized audio. When you have two pieces of gear that share this I/O, then you can take advantage of it.

Huck is right, many people use digital I/O on interfaces to bypass the converters on the interface to use a higher quality converter. I have a Lexicon reverb that I may use through S/PDIF eventually.

cmreal04

Post by cmreal04 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:52 pm

Thanks for the explanation, much appreciated.

CM
Ableton 9, Feeltune Rhizome, Focusrite Pro, Mpk249....

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:55 pm

Hidden Driveways wrote:I have a Lexicon reverb that I may use through S/PDIF eventually.
do it! i run my lexicon via s/pdif and it's worth it. (ok, i only use a firebox, good interface, but of course not high end... there the lexicon ~ s/pdif connex makes ultimately sense)
*** Image GAFM ***