The Schwarzonator is stupid

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Post Reply
cacti
Posts: 900
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:53 pm

The Schwarzonator is stupid

Post by cacti » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:29 am

for some reason i find it really appalling, why write/perform music if you cant take the time to learn basic chords.

outershpongolia
Posts: 2230
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:40 am

Re: The Schwarzonator is stupid

Post by outershpongolia » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:43 am

because chicks dig it.

RajahP
Posts: 197
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:13 am

Re: The Schwarzonator is stupid

Post by RajahP » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:47 am

cacti wrote:for some reason i find it really appalling, why write/perform music if you cant take the time to learn basic chords.
You have week legs.
:( :lol:

auto-lock
Posts: 555
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 8:23 pm
Location: x0,y0,z0 (AKA the center of the universe)

Re: The Schwarzonator is stupid

Post by auto-lock » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:01 am

why calculate 1234567*7654321 in ur head when u can do it with a calculator... its the result that counts

cacti
Posts: 900
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:53 pm

Re: The Schwarzonator is stupid

Post by cacti » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:16 am

auto-lock wrote:why calculate 1234567*7654321 in ur head when u can do it with a calculator... its the result that counts

thats a stupid analogy.

its fucking cheating and its fucking lame. and the examples in the video sound like shit.

chapelier fou
Posts: 5110
Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 12:15 pm

Re: The Schwarzonator is stupid

Post by chapelier fou » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:38 am

auto-lock wrote:why calculate 1234567*7654321 in ur head when u can do it with a calculator... its the result that counts
Personnaly, I am not interested in the result !
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
iMac 27" Retina i5 3,2 GHz OS 10.11.3 L10.0.1 M4L.

zigzag
Posts: 155
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:29 pm

Re: The Schwarzonator is stupid

Post by zigzag » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:40 am

cacti wrote:
auto-lock wrote:why calculate 1234567*7654321 in ur head when u can do it with a calculator... its the result that counts

thats a stupid analogy.

its fucking cheating and its fucking lame. and the examples in the video sound like shit.
I have been looking into it and it seems that it is a tool purely for a non-musician. If you really look into its code, you will see essentially what is the result of chord constructions per song of that artist.
I think it has taken him a lot (I mean A LOT) of time to come up with those chord combinations.
That does not mean that it is very useful for anyone else unless they see these chords fitting for their own work. There is a limited
number of presets available.
You can call it stupid, whereas others (if they can customize it) can call it a gift. Maybe they never had the time to learn chord construction and they want to express themselves somehow. Its for them.

hoffman2k
Posts: 14716
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:40 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Re: The Schwarzonator is stupid

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:42 am

cacti wrote:for some reason i find it really appalling, why write/perform music if you cant take the time to learn basic chords.
Thank you for the original contribution.
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=132103

Wonna get really outraged? I heard some dudes are using Live to beatmatch without using turntables 8O

davepermen
Posts: 2198
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:38 pm
Location: Switzerland
Contact:

Re: The Schwarzonator is stupid

Post by davepermen » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:56 am

cacti wrote:
auto-lock wrote:why calculate 1234567*7654321 in ur head when u can do it with a calculator... its the result that counts

thats a stupid analogy.

its fucking cheating and its fucking lame. and the examples in the video sound like shit.
well, if you're in a math learning class, using a calculator is considered cheating, too. but only in the basic ones, as there, you have to be able to handle basics yourself. later on, people progress and never care to do basics on their own again, they move on.

here it's the same. why doing it all time manually if a machine can make sure that what you know you want, gets done. that's what live is about: it allows you to express what you want, and does it for you. beatmatching? done. sidechaining? done. limiting? done. etc. all those things can be done manually, but are tedious and just understanding how they work, and then applying the tools makes you faster, more flexible.

same here.

it's called progression. and with any progression, people come and cry "cheating". was always like that.
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

necho
Posts: 995
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:39 pm
Location: (y)UK

Re: The Schwarzonator is stupid

Post by necho » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:43 am

When the pianoforte appeared, I bet some dude complained that it was stupid and lame because it had expression and sustain. "An instrument for people who can't trill...."... etc...
_________
sigs suck.

pepezabala
Posts: 3499
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: In Berlin, finally

Re: The Schwarzonator is stupid

Post by pepezabala » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:54 am

zigzag wrote: I have been looking into it and it seems that it is a tool purely for a non-musician. If you really look into its code, you will see essentially what is the result of chord constructions per song of that artist.
I think it has taken him a lot (I mean A LOT) of time to come up with those chord combinations.
That does not mean that it is very useful for anyone else unless they see these chords fitting for their own work. There is a limited
number of presets available.
You can call it stupid, whereas others (if they can customize it) can call it a gift. Maybe they never had the time to learn chord construction and they want to express themselves somehow. Its for them.
I have not looked into it, but is this limited to a couple of chords? And you can't create your own presets?

davepermen
Posts: 2198
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:38 pm
Location: Switzerland
Contact:

Re: The Schwarzonator is stupid

Post by davepermen » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:12 am

pepezabala wrote:
zigzag wrote: I have been looking into it and it seems that it is a tool purely for a non-musician. If you really look into its code, you will see essentially what is the result of chord constructions per song of that artist.
I think it has taken him a lot (I mean A LOT) of time to come up with those chord combinations.
That does not mean that it is very useful for anyone else unless they see these chords fitting for their own work. There is a limited
number of presets available.
You can call it stupid, whereas others (if they can customize it) can call it a gift. Maybe they never had the time to learn chord construction and they want to express themselves somehow. Its for them.
I have not looked into it, but is this limited to a couple of chords? And you can't create your own presets?
own presets should be available in a next version. right now it had the presets the developer needed.
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

fatrabbit
Posts: 1308
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 7:41 am
Location: Bath, UK

Re: The Schwarzonator is stupid

Post by fatrabbit » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:13 am

zigzag wrote:
cacti wrote:
auto-lock wrote:why calculate 1234567*7654321 in ur head when u can do it with a calculator... its the result that counts

thats a stupid analogy.

its fucking cheating and its fucking lame. and the examples in the video sound like shit.
I have been looking into it and it seems that it is a tool purely for a non-musician. If you really look into its code, you will see essentially what is the result of chord constructions per song of that artist.
I think it has taken him a lot (I mean A LOT) of time to come up with those chord combinations.
That does not mean that it is very useful for anyone else unless they see these chords fitting for their own work. There is a limited
number of presets available.
You can call it stupid, whereas others (if they can customize it) can call it a gift. Maybe they never had the time to learn chord construction and they want to express themselves somehow. Its for them.
Yeah it seems like he's spent a lot of time finding progressions that work. But he hasn't just found them magically like some Aztec gold for the first time. If you learn theory, you'll arrive at the same point with understanding of how things fit together.

zigzag
Posts: 155
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:29 pm

Re: The Schwarzonator is stupid

Post by zigzag » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:42 am

Yeah it seems like he's spent a lot of time finding progressions that work. But he hasn't just found them magically like some Aztec gold for the first time. If you learn theory, you'll arrive at the same point with understanding of how things fit together.
Indeed. I couldn't agree more. However the developer seems that he's willing to attach an interface in a new version whereby you could select chords by their music theory names.
In this case I think that such a tool would allow one to study the combinations of chords very quickly. It wouldn't make you a better keyboard player. But a great study tool nevertheless..

Emissary
Posts: 2431
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:27 am

Re: The Schwarzonator is stupid

Post by Emissary » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:25 pm

This would be a good idea as a learning device i agree. But seriously the music he is making with it sounds like a retarded puppy jumping on a keyboard. Plus its not that different from using the scale and chord midi effects (if you set them up correctly) I don't really care if someone wants to bypass music theory to write music , I know i did when i was a kid. They will eventually learn that learning music theory and developing the chords and scales that you as a person like is integral to creating art rather than elevator music (which is what his stuff sounds like)

But maybe he likes elevator music? so its all personal opinion really.

Post Reply