Apogee Duet & MacBookPro 13" 2.53 - Heat & CPU Whine Issues

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dergar

Apogee Duet & MacBookPro 13" 2.53 - Heat & CPU Whine Issues

Post by dergar » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:21 am

Hello and peace to all!

I recently talked about this issue with the very kind people in Apple forums:

http://discussions.apple.com/message.js ... 7#10779277

Any ideas?

Happy days!

Chris

Rave

Re: Apogee Duet & MacBookPro 13" 2.53 - Heat & CPU Whine Issues

Post by Rave » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:53 pm

My DUET audio feed is noisy when I connect my guitar :(

I havent tried it on my macbook. I will give it a go sometime soon

steko

Post by steko » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:25 pm

Hi dergar!

Unplug everything & try a SMC reset: Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)
Rahad Jackson wrote:My Awesome Mix Tape #6

dergar

Post by dergar » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:49 pm

steko wrote:Hi dergar!

Unplug everything & try a SMC reset: Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)
Hi and many thanks my friend steko!

I did the SMC, whine still there and heat also rises by 10 or more celsius... maybe the whine is slightly lower and the heat slightly lower after the reset but I am not sure it is not because battery is charging at the moment...

best!
chris
http://dergar.bandcamp.com [free album download]

dergar

Post by dergar » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:51 pm

Rave wrote:My DUET audio feed is noisy when I connect my guitar :(

I havent tried it on my macbook. I will give it a go sometime soon
hi! my new precision bass and my new tele are sounding fantastic via Duet's preamps... soon I will post a new EP on bandcamp that will include some recordings!

it is just this whine which is annoying and this heat issue which is scary...

i have to repeat though that the whine is not getting in the Duet... it is just there on the keyboard!!! and it gets killed with the "quietMBP" app but then the heat is climbing above 85 celsius...

peace!
chris
http://dergar.bandcamp.com

steko

Post by steko » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:27 pm

????????!

Was your Mac shipped with Snow Leopard? Because if not (one should not run a Mac with an OS earlier ha the one it shipped with) & you have a bootable copy of Leopard on an external HD it would be interesting if the problem still exists…

BTW I'm a few days on Snow Leopard now & the fans run a little bit louder here (no greek cricket sounding...). :wink:

dergar

Post by dergar » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:32 am

steko wrote:????????!

Was your Mac shipped with Snow Leopard? Because if not (one should not run a Mac with an OS earlier ha the one it shipped with) & you have a bootable copy of Leopard on an external HD it would be interesting if the problem still exists…

BTW I'm a few days on Snow Leopard now & the fans run a little bit louder here (no greek cricket sounding...). :wink:

hey steko, thanks mate :) are you greek ?

my MBP shipped with Leopard 10.5.8 or so from eBay uk (I also updated immidiately) but they sent me the funds back to buy the Snow DVD from a shop in my town when it came (yes, they are fantastic at eBay). I am on Snow since late October or so and I have no fan or other issues, I really love the way it runs! It is silent as if it was shut but the cricket comes when a firewire audio interface is connected and the heat comes up... I don't have any external disc for the mac at the moment...

I don't know what to do... I might have to ask for replacement? But first I would like to check if it is a common problem for the same set ups (Duet or FF800 + MBP 13" 2.53), because the replacement or repair could take ages and if the new or repaired machine comes with the same problem then this is a big hustle (I also don't like the idea of the repairment at all)... I'd prefer to solve it via software (and I think it is possible) because otherwise I love this computer and I have been talking great care of it (the battery is amazing!)...

btw, when do you think they will fix the Ableton Suite 8.1 issues and post an update?... I run the beta for the time being...

best!
chris

steko

Post by steko » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:46 pm

Hi Chris!

Not greek, but bavarian & there is a connection: ????, ???????? ??? ??????? :D

As you have the problem with the Duet & FF800, it seems to be connected to firewire and/or 10.6.x. So a test with 10.5.8 would help to delimit. (if you can afford, get an external (if you have firewire 800, get that = much faster), yet alone for backup… I recommend Carbon Copy Cloner for bootable backups.

Just an idea: Last week, after installing Snow Leopard & Logic Studio, I stumbled over tons of error messages in Konsole connected to a plugin called DVCPROHDAudio.plugin in /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/. AFAIK it's related to firewire camcorders (if anyody knows more, please chime in!), so I parked it somewhere else & errors gone. Do you have that file? Maybe that's related…

For the 8.1 suite, I really can't know… :wink: I ordered my boxed set last week at my local music store, but they forgot to order… Maybe that's better anyway with already new Logic Studio 2 & Snow…

Happy christmas & may the cricket go away!

dergar

Post by dergar » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:25 pm

:D
hey happy christmas steko! and thanks again! haha, funny was this king, what a clothing hahaha!

but I had the same cricket/whine b4 I updated to Snow...

peace!
chris

flogistox

Post by flogistox » Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:42 pm

the problem of temperature rising of about 10 degrees C seems to be common to all firewire soundcards I connected to my macbook... (m-audio fw 410, presonus firebox, motu ultralite)
imac g5 + m-audio fw 410 - edirol pcr m30+ live suite + reason + reaktor 5 + Analog factory + guitar rig and many guitars

dergar

Post by dergar » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:11 pm

flogistox wrote:the problem of temperature rising of about 10 degrees C seems to be common to all firewire soundcards I connected to my macbook... (m-audio fw 410, presonus firebox, motu ultralite)

thanks flogistox! that is at least something I would like to know!

but do you also get this little whine on the left side of the keyboard of the MacBook?

do you think an application like coolbook could make any difference?

best!
chris

flogistox

Post by flogistox » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:01 pm

think the whine on left side should be produced by the fan running at highest speed to reduce temperature

i've read good reviews about coolbook but never dared to use it....maybe im wrong, but I'.v always thought of it as a geek application to use, considering the controllers it changes values for

salut
flog
imac g5 + m-audio fw 410 - edirol pcr m30+ live suite + reason + reaktor 5 + Analog factory + guitar rig and many guitars

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:43 pm

it just works

dergar

Post by dergar » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:21 pm

djsynchro wrote:it just works
thanks! so, if i may ask you, is it just working without the tiniest whistle above the Q key area and without any heating up of the CPU for about 10 celsius?
wishes
chris

dergar

Post by dergar » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:25 pm

flogistox wrote:think the whine on left side should be produced by the fan running at highest speed to reduce temperature

i've read good reviews about coolbook but never dared to use it....maybe im wrong, but I'.v always thought of it as a geek application to use, considering the controllers it changes values for

salut
flog
hello flog and thanks!
no! the whine is produced my the CPU because it stops with the QuietMBP application... it is there (a tiny whistle) on the Q key area of the keyboard only when a firewire sound card is connected... it is noway relevant with fan which is actually very quiet in the new MBPs...

best!
chris