Universal Audio UAD2 Solo/Laptop anyone?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kristian

Universal Audio UAD2 Solo/Laptop anyone?

Post by kristian » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:49 pm

So I've been drooling over the some UAD plugs for some time now and suddenly I noticed this little gem from UAD

http://www.uaudio.com/products/uad/uad2sl/index.html

Appearently it uses the ExpressCard slot which I don't use at all on my Macbook Pro, so it it seems that this is pretty damn nifty! Anyone have one of these babies? Also, for all you UAD users; which plugs would you recommend?

djsynchro

Re: Universal Audio UAD2 Solo/Laptop anyone?

Post by djsynchro » Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:10 pm

I have a Solo on my desktop (but also 2 UAD-1 cards) and it's great, all the plug-ins are great, so whatever takes your fancy. A solo is a bit limiting though, I'm going to add another one next year, don't really understand laptop use for making music (other than performing live of course) but if that works for you, go for it.
UAD forum is here: http://studionu.com/uadforums/

kristian

Post by kristian » Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:51 pm

A laptop works perfect for me; never buying a clunky desktop again :D another option seems to get a ExpressCard to PCIe converter ( http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/05/04/ ... e.support/ ) and then getting a UAD-2 Quad.. however I need to look into that ExpressCard to PCIe more closely, as I'm not convinced atm

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:45 pm

If you like your computer underpowered, overpriced, screen too small and keyboard cramped no numpad and terrible ergonomics, laptops are the only way to go :D

A Solo has a single Sharc DSP which is about 2.5x the speed of the old UAD-1, but for the oversampling plugs (the Moog filter, all the vintage EQs) the speed gain is even better. Running the Fatso would be a bit of a disaster because it takes a loooooot of DSP juice (you would probably want to apply it then freeze) the new EMT 250 reverb which is super incredible uses very little resources.

You decide! :D

kristian

Post by kristian » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:15 pm

ahhh.... so some plugs take so much juice that a single chip isn't enough... was kinda dreading that the solo was a bit underpowered.. I'll have to read some more about the UAD technology I guess before I make up my mind :) Thanks for your input man, its much appreciated!

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:04 pm

there are 'lite' versions of the plugins too and you can always freeze tracks to render the effect.

If you're mostly using a laptop for production, things like freeze/flatten are usually a necessary compromise if you are running a lot of tracks and vst/au plugins.

Look at the UAD website. Most plugins are not that DSP hungry, the Fatso definately is, as is the Neve 33609 buss compressor, but otherwise, most are manageable and freeze works fine.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

kristian

Post by kristian » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:30 pm

yeah, freezing tracks is part of my workflow so I'm well used to that hehe. I normally use eco mode/whatever on all my VST synths until I have the parts down, then I turn on high-res mode and freeze the tracks.. as I'm only a dude that has music as a much-loved hobby, I think that the solo laptop UAD2 will suite my needs perfectly.. was intriuged by the magma expressbox for a minute, until I saw its hefty pricetag... no way I'm paying $729 for that :D

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:18 am

Uad2 Solo laptop here and love it. Of course more power would be nice but use freeze etc and it's totally doable.
Re: only using a lapper, mine's hooked up to a Dell 30', 2 x Tb drives, external mouse/keyboard, Fireface 400, APC40 and Trigger Finger and also goes to gigs, shoots etc too, LOVE it. Being able to drop a UAD Quad into the mix would of course be sweet but just don't need that huge hulking box to do so. That Magma unit does look v. nice though, not sure how long Apple will keep express card slots, as it is they're only available on 17" lappers now.

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:42 am

does it only run UA plugs?
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:25 pm

Yep UA only

tribe9

Post by tribe9 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:08 pm

Stupid question but.....

Does this run with ableton? The UAD site does not list ableton...

also,

How much latency are you guys experiencing with this?
HP dv5000 Notebook>Intel Core Duo 2.0GHz, 2 MB RAM, 5400 RPM 100G, Mbox, M-audio Axiom 25, M-audio Trigger Finger, Midisport 2x2, Behringer FCB1010, Roland HPD-15

flippo

Post by flippo » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:56 am

bump. anyone had more experience using this in live?

particularly interested in stability and latency

:)

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:45 am

kristian wrote:So I've been drooling over the some UAD plugs for some time now and suddenly I noticed this little gem from UAD

http://www.uaudio.com/products/uad/uad2sl/index.html

Appearently it uses the ExpressCard slot which I don't use at all on my Macbook Pro, so it it seems that this is pretty damn nifty! Anyone have one of these babies? Also, for all you UAD users; which plugs would you recommend?
i would love one, was thinking a long time myself of getting one...

but as a mac user and apples shit policy lately i would be careful placing such an investment, damn apple is removing the express card slot for models more and more, now only the 17" one left featuring one... and i don't thing it's sure the card slot will survive at all...
*** Image GAFM ***

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:13 am

SubFunk wrote:but as a mac user and apples shit policy lately i would be careful placing such an investment, damn apple is removing the express card slot for models more and more, now only the 17" one left featuring one... and i don't thing it's sure the card slot will survive at all...
You need to GAFPC, then you wouldn't be at the mercy of Jobs's whims. :D

Only kidding, I know you'd rather dig your own eyes out with blunt spoon than use a pc.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:40 am

twisted-space wrote:
SubFunk wrote:but as a mac user and apples shit policy lately i would be careful placing such an investment, damn apple is removing the express card slot for models more and more, now only the 17" one left featuring one... and i don't thing it's sure the card slot will survive at all...
You need to GAFPC, then you wouldn't be at the mercy of Jobs's whims. :D

Only kidding, I know you'd rather dig your own eyes out with blunt spoon than use a pc.

well, i tell you i am not happy about apple lately.

i just wait for possibilities of running OSX on a PC more safely and stable (maybe it happens soon, who knows?) and i consider a lenovo or such...
*** Image GAFM ***