MAX 4 LIVE

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Pasha

Re: MAX 4 LIVE

Post by Pasha » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:29 am

IMHO price is fair for what I grasped I could do with it once learned.
However after the beta I simply found out that is not for me and at the moment
I do not want / need to learn any new stuff. Just want to switch my Mac on and
make music straight away. Hence M4L is too much for me. Conversely a friend of mine
is thinking about it to build a Karma like plug-in. Money is limited and better be spent
on something I'm sure I'll use everyday.

- Best
- Pasha
Apple iMac 2013 / Macbook Late 2012
Live 10 Suite,Zebra ,Guitar, Bass, VG99, JV1010 and some controllers

Green Lemon

Post by Green Lemon » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:27 am

I think the deal on the price is that if you actually intend to use it for even 20 percent of its abilities, its a steal. The major investment in this case isn't money, its time spent patching. If what you really want is to use other peoples patches, well, its too steep. But thats really a case of motivation.

Anyway, its pretty sure that a runtime version will eventually come out. Of course their gonna milk it for a while, give them a chance to catch their breath. And could people quit complaining about the price? Oh that'll never happen!
--
first 1k as chrysalis33rpm.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:36 am

Green Lemon wrote:Anyway, its pretty sure that a runtime version will eventually come out.
Really? What information do you have?
Unsound Designer

Green Lemon

Post by Green Lemon » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:38 am

Only my hunch, sorry to get your hopes up.

It seems like a logical move to me, but only after at least a year has passed, maybe two. Look how long we had to wait just to get M4L!
--
first 1k as chrysalis33rpm.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:34 am

Given the price of full max/msp/jitter then the price is quite decent, though some of the resulting limitations (relative to full max/msp/jitter) are very annoying and at first thought petty, but I guess they have more to do with integration technicalities than marketting people being silly.

As someone said, the real investment with this is time, not money.
Nothing to see here - move along!

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:50 pm

the runtime people talk about is a version where yuo can't code/develop anything in max, but just use pre-made max components.

yes, there is a runtime, but it's the runtime+developement environment. the idea is that, in the future, anyone can use max patches. and only those who develop stuff pay for the development components.
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:59 pm

they stated that they plan to focus mainly on workflow, usability, ui, and stability for the next version. so we should see a much improved live experience, but not really much new in sound effects and such. which i'm fine with, as the ones they have are great. and for other needs, there are enough vst plugs out there that work just fine. and with max4live, the choices grow again.

so i'm happy that they focus now on the "core product", and not on "we have some fancy new effect so it's great" sort of things.
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:48 pm

Green Lemon wrote:Only my hunch, sorry to get your hopes up.
No hopes dashed mate. M4L & Max 5 license holder here. 8)
Unsound Designer

sgreene

Post by sgreene » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:53 pm

I've used max to enhance my control of live - not so much for effects and midi instrument processing. Basically to tie into the Live Object Model and arm tracks, trim the end of a clip if I missed the end record press, map a button to undo, etc. Being able to interact with live as lower levels is definitely valuable to me. I also have a monome and am waiting for that all to shake out.

I got the apc40 for Christmas and I am now unstoppable. :twisted:

I definitely would not buy M4L just for the effects/instruments that come with it.

OP: >> Just want to switch my Mac on and make music straight away. Hence M4L is too much for me.
I think that max is aiding me in this goal - but I think it's about removing limitations for me. As much as Live is touted as a performance tool, each person performs differently and the max/api integration allows for customization.