If Mac's are so "underpowered"...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:17 am

rikhyray -

the 'we' is the 'macusers' that the post I replied to was referring to... I don't know who we are either :)

-Paws

atom_b

Post by atom_b » Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:12 am

AdamJay wrote:yea all i read was blabadeeblah
Well, then, you must be with the ones certainly in the right to not know. Just stay where you are, byebye.
Vaio AR11S
XP Pro SP2
2GB RAM
intel T2500 2GHz
200GB RAID-0
RME FF400

atom_b

Post by atom_b » Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:24 am

Angstrom wrote:why do apple dominate in theA/V and graphics industries?

firstly - stability.
Most studio clients through the 90's, and by that I mean the 'producer' who books all the gear and the engineers in, their only experience of win machines was '95 or '98 ... which redefined poor stability. That kind of set a precedent up at the time. NT was considered 'geeky'. Music biz honch no like geeky.

second - killer apps.
one word - pro-tools
damn, thats two words.

Mac had the apps that PCs of 1995 - 1998 couldnt run succesfully, so why the hell would studios use a PC. I edited an album on the cheap using a PC based DAW in 1996. LIVING HELL

third - style.
most clients I have ever dealt with (in my many biz incarnations), they love to see the tech guy has the coolest gear. "hey man - can you get ME one of those!". Film / TV and Music are heirachic buisnesses - these soho loft dwelling types want to see that even their flunkies are top of their respective tree in terms of cool gadgets.
beige boxes dont go with armani or bling

fourth.
if it aint broke - I cant afford to fix it. Once Macs replaced Ataris - they were simply what peopel were used to - tape op learns protools on mac. Tape op earns money for studio owner.
Similarly, NS-10s still haunt many studios despite sounding terrible. People either are just plain used to them ... or have been educated to 'hear them as the ultimate good' which is frightening.
but thats a whole 'nother story.

what do I know
One of my past jobs was fixing/reinstalling dead studio macintoshes, I did it a lot, I mean A LOT.

Yet the owners would get a client in the control room the moment after I had finished, client says "hey man, you got a new 8600/200 - they are so cool - so stable, not like .. etc"

and the studio owner says " you bet! they are The Business !!! "

... myth is perpetuated

wher OS9 was wobbly, OSX is a great OS ,
but still, 95 % of the mac users I know with have NO idea what the 'system preferences' page is for example, never mind what unix is, or the terminal. When they break - I fix still fix em. I just dont have to take the 'unused' extensions out of the bin anymore :roll:
History of the technical pro knows it all. Thank You!
Vaio AR11S
XP Pro SP2
2GB RAM
intel T2500 2GHz
200GB RAID-0
RME FF400

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:42 am

atom_b wrote:
Well, then, you must be with the ones certainly in the right to not know. Just stay where you are, byebye.
its a fact that if you set up cubase, logic, and dp all with the same content and same effects... cpu usage on all of them are better than live.
wouldn't you know all of them are altivec optimized!

until live has this optimization - mac users aren't getting a fair shake.

and stop blabadeeblah'ing in your posts. it just makes you sound like a pretentious twat

atom_b

Post by atom_b » Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:08 am

AdamJay wrote:
and stop blabadeeblah'ing in your posts. it just makes you sound like a pretentious twat
twattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwat - hey that feels good! Can I have more? - twattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwat. Oh, I feel so tired now. Have a good day finding someone else. Twattwattwat, the sun is shining, blabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblahblabadeeblah. Oh, you were right, that was boring. Good night - sleep tight. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Oh man, I feel so sorry you now have such a long way to scroll to be able to go on with insulting other people, but know this is the way twats go. Bye

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:14 am

ah....
mac / pc flamewars... :)
spot the kiddy's.
It was going so well.

a mac -pc thread without a childish remark remains unseen.

schildknecht

Post by schildknecht » Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:29 am

just - obsolete ... fighting for reputation of machines.

try to focus on content - not image.

i'm off making .... ohh sh*t i forgot... ahhhh> MUSIC yessssss.

all the best
schildknecht

krikor

Post by krikor » Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:42 am

Mac computer are not as fast as PC ones. PC's are cheaper but there is
an exception for laptop: most of the time if you check thourously you will
see that to get a good laptop PC you will need to put the cash on the
table otherwise you will get something not realy balanced.

But XP is not well written enough to my according to use it as a
professional way, even XPpro is a pain in the ass when it comes to driver
and third party compatibility. OSX is a very good system, very stable, not
that weak to attacks from the web. If you love to tweek your computer
you can handle XP, but i don't have the time for this. This is confirmed by
the fact that most of the big company (for example thomson) don't use
xp for their system but ...Linux. Longhorn might be the answer to this
problem, so let's wait and see...

So actually Linux is the perfect match for a PC, but the major problem is
that most of the audio application are not available for Linux (Live is not).
Personnaly i would get a PC laptop if i could use Ableton's live on LINUX,
but as it is right now i prefer to have less power and more stability on
stage.

claudek

Post by claudek » Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:40 am

who cares!@!..
Just use what you like..Mac or PC ..Live works well on both..
Thanks Ableton for not being biased!!
Use your brain to make music...don't rely that crazy much on your computer.
Mac G4 Quicksilver 1000GHz / Motu 828 /OSX 10.3.9
&
Mac Ibook G4 800GHz OSX 10.3.9 /Core Audio/M Audio Oxy 8
PC: ASUS 2.8 GHz P4 / XP

Live 5.02

Jenne123

Post by Jenne123 » Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:12 pm

yeah, man your are right just make music.

pc vs. mac dicussions are worthless...its like talking about who has the longest d***...

cheers

forge

Post by forge » Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:00 pm

most of the replies to these are silly, but the ONLY thing that personally makes me think Macs are the professional platform is the lack of viruses

today at work in a PC based studio about an hour was wasted trying to stop stupid fucking pop-ups from driving me crazy

pax

Post by pax » Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:31 pm

I have to agree... It's like debating on Triton vs Fantom, Fantom vs Sampler, Sampler vs Computer... it's all about what you do to get music out your horn... as Charlie Parker would say.

That said, my roommate's g4 with 512mb ram performs way better and more reliably 'Live' than a Gateway p2.2 with 1gb ram and a Dell mobility 1.8M with 512 ram.

Sure specs-wise: I could load more tracks with the PCs, throw more effects on with lower CPU drain, but I don't trust either of them in a Live-in-front-of-many-people situation.

Amberience

Post by Amberience » Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:52 am

We use Mac's at university, and I don't particularly like them. They're usable, but they don't grab my pants or anything like that. :lol:

Its a fucking tool. End of discussion.... should be anyway.

astromass

Post by astromass » Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:15 am

computers suck

i'm going back to 4 track cassette and stomp boxes...anyone wiff me? ;)
nyquist theorem and nyquil...

Amberience

Post by Amberience » Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:03 am

astromass wrote:computers suck

i'm going back to 4 track cassette and stomp boxes...anyone wiff me? ;)
Yup!! :D