Thinking about making the change to mac....

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
IP

Re: Thinking about making the change to mac....

Post by IP » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:05 pm

luzil wrote:so u buy a MAC because another PC died? Well, its much cheapier imho to get spares for PC and upgrade it btw, especially if u buy a desktop computer and u can do nearly everything on ur own.

2nd thing, if u look in the "live performce test" thread, the macbook pros consistently perform worse than pc notebooks of same specs (RAM, CPU). So really think about if the nice design is worth the extra charge, imo u get for a dektop PC much more out of ur $, apart from design, which is subjective, there r not really advantages of MAC and OS today anymore
BIG+

zalo

Post by zalo » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:09 pm

luzil wrote:there r not really advantages of MAC and OS today anymore
i feel like even though there arent any giant, hey look at me differences the money is in the small stuff that adds up

core audio
switching peripherals without restarting live
IAC midi
FW800
etc

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:17 pm

zalo wrote:
i feel like even though there arent any giant, hey look at me differences the money is in the small stuff that adds up

core audio
IAC midi
FW800
etc
I totally agree. I just switched and I admit these are real arguments to consider. No drivers needed for my audio card, for instance. And, on windows, I never ever went on internet with a musical machine. Now, with osx, I am no more afraid, and it's very handy for unlocking software.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
iMac 27" Retina i5 3,2 GHz OS 10.11.3 L10.0.1 M4L.

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:35 pm

For the price you would spend on that mac, you should just build a much superior dedicated audio PC.

esky

Post by esky » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:42 pm

funky shit wrote:For the price you would spend on that mac, you should just build a much superior dedicated audio PC.
True, and if your Mac warranty is over they f*** you really hard with their astronomic spare part prices. On a PC you change broken parts yourself, try that on an iMac...

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:45 pm

esky wrote:
funky shit wrote:For the price you would spend on that mac, you should just build a much superior dedicated audio PC.
True, and if your Mac warranty is over they f*** you really hard with their astronomic spare part prices. On a PC you change broken parts yourself, try that on an iMac...
Yep.. i suppose macs are good for people who dont really want to know about the computer, and just want it to function straight away, and when its a bit behind the times a full upgrade is needed.
Id far rather be a geek with PC's.. its a lot more personal and unique 8)

phil909

Post by phil909 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:38 pm

esky wrote:
i'd strongly recommend the apple 3 year warranty for about £160 - it'll give you peace of mind and protects your investment.
i've always found apple's aftercare excellent. if there's any problem it all gets fixed, quickly, for free.
out of the 50+ mac's i've bought over the years (mainly for my company, a design studio) i've only had 2 or 3 hard drives go (all low end macbooks) and 2 first gen intel imacs developed
overheating problems with the graphics cards, one was fixed under warranty.

they're very reliable machines and usually run trouble free until it's time to upgrade.
there's very little maintenance required too, just remember to repair your disk permissions (using the included disk utility app) every month or so as this is the only thing that usually causes any problems.

the i7 imac is a fantastic bit of kit. most applications can't fully access the multi-core processors in snow leopard yet but when they do, you'll have a mac that will serve you well for years.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:31 pm

zalo wrote:

core audio
IAC midi
FW800
etc
+1 it's tons of very, very small things which add up being a giant difference in the workflow / comfort, plus some that are big.
core audio is a giant difference, e.g.
*** Image GAFM ***

j2j

Post by j2j » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:36 pm

I use a Mac, only because, "I hate windows more, than I hate os x." IMHO, the mac hardware is crap, its manufactured poorly, its crap. It feels, "flimsy," and cheap.

But, OMFG, windows is a nightmare...........................

I'd rather be using Linux, and a Sony. The only thing I own that will work native on Linux is Renoise- I wish all my software was native Linux. I hate apple. I hate microsoft. Evil, evil, evil companies.

But, yeah... I use a mac...

Because?

I hate microsoft more.
too many lasers...

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:39 pm

d-track wrote:rumors :)
lol
i dont need 4 core, thanks

btw
if i do myself anything on mbp for example change ram, sdd etc then im gonna loose the warranty. even if its extended
huh?
When they released the unibodies they made the hard drive and ram more accessible to change yourself and it doesn't void the warranty. Just switched my drive the other day and it took me about 3 minutes.

The previous MBP involved about 12 steps and 36 screws to change the drive and that voided the warranty. Was quite a rush to pull off though.

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:41 pm

j2j wrote:I use a Mac, only because, "I hate windows more, than I hate os x." IMHO, the mac hardware is crap, its manufactured poorly, its crap. It feels, "flimsy," and cheap.

But, OMFG, windows is a nightmare...........................

I'd rather be using Linux, and a Sony. The only thing I own that will work native on Linux is Renoise- I wish all my software was native Linux. I hate apple. I hate microsoft. Evil, evil, evil companies.

But, yeah... I use a mac...

Because?

I hate microsoft more.
Agreed, except I go the PC route. Why? Because I can't afford a mac.
levimoniz wrote:yes i'm a hypocrite and not intelligent

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:42 pm

Great choice! Here's why:

- It just works
- You were probably thinking of coming out of the closet, the Apple store is a great way of getting comfortable with being in the Gay scene
- Unlike PC manufacturers Apple cares, that's why they have "Apple care" it costs money but hey, so does food & clean water

I could go on and on. And I will, but not now.
:D

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:47 pm

i don't see ever anyone saying OSX is perfect or anything like that. rubbish!

but it is way less of a headache, trouble free and friendlier for the none computer nerd.

i had to use PCs for professional audio purposes at my previous employer, and it caused more energy and time maintaining the system compared to what i personally use, a mac.

it's not about the one works and the other not. that is stoopid.
*** Image GAFM ***

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:40 am

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:53 am

Emissary wrote: worry about virus/trojans etc.
:roll: