syncing 2 computers via usb

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jamief

syncing 2 computers via usb

Post by jamief » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:01 pm

Has anyone foundany reliable way to sync 2 computers over a USB connection. I have a usb midi interface but i,m trying to do away with it and just uses usb leads. Running win 7 64 ultimate, Win xp and Mac osx 10.5.8 but really want to focus on the pc first.

best
Jamie :)

Plague1715

Re: syncing 2 computers via usb

Post by Plague1715 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:16 pm

I think this would be easier to do with a computer-computer network connection.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:27 pm

^ yeah, you should run that over an Ethernet cable or wireless setup using TCP/IP

darkcatt

Post by darkcatt » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:02 pm

is there a guide on how to do this?

Will wireless work?
Computer games don't effect kids... If Pacman affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music
http://www.reverbnation.com/blackcatcrossing
http://theblackcatcrossing.com/

julienb

Post by julienb » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:21 pm

sync can be "transported" over a lot of protocols...
indeed, tcp/ip is a nice one for real time application.
udp is lighter (no flow control) but useful: OSC is often use over udp

tcp or udp can be used over ethernet, wireless or other low level standard.

basic midi link can also be used... no?
Julien Bayle
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

art + teaching/consulting
ableton certified trainer
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:38 pm

darkcatt wrote:is there a guide on how to do this?
yeah its called: The Internet

...basically its creating a network, or more specifically, a home network. a lot of your success will depend on what OS you're using. The OP has 3 different OS flavors so it may be harder for him than someone with 2 Macs or 2 XP machines, but the fundamentals are still the same.

Look up:
NetBIOS
TCP/IP
UDP

jamief

Post by jamief » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:45 pm

H20nly wrote:

...basically its creating a network, or more specifically, a home network. a lot of your success will depend on what OS you're using. The OP has 3 different OS flavors so it may be harder for him than someone with 2 Macs or 2 XP machines, but the fundamentals are still the same.

Look up:
NetBIOS
TCP/IP
UDP
So you have been able to create a reliable way of syncing two computers running live wihthout midi leads, tested it and proven it to work ?
best
:)

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:57 pm

jamief wrote:Has anyone foundany reliable way to sync 2 computers over a USB connection. I have a usb midi interface but i,m trying to do away with it and just uses usb leads. Running win 7 64 ultimate, Win xp and Mac osx 10.5.8 but really want to focus on the pc first.
You asked about syncing two computers. Yes, I have. I can move files over 3 computers at my house without getting off the couch.

Where I work, there are about 250 computers and all of them connect over ethernet too.

Running Live, no, I use it the way the EULA dictates - on one puter at a time.

USB is a bottleneck waiting to happen if you are dealing with packets that have any size to them.

If you're trying to sync MIDI, thats a slightly separate beast than syncing computers.

8O

Post by 8O » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:31 am

jamief wrote:So you have been able to create a reliable way of syncing two computers running live wihthout midi leads, tested it and proven it to work ?
best
I've seen this question come up every few months on this forum (and I've asked it myself a few times too). Mac to mac is no problem, but Mac to PC or PC to PC... well, I haven't seen a free/cheap proven solution that anyone has shown working on here. In the end I've just used (and subsequently recommended) sticking to using a couple of USB-MIDI interfaces (just a cheap one on a cable will do) and connecting the machines via the interfaces and a traditional MIDI cable. You'd think there'd be a simple and cheap solution out there, but from my experience these threads have been high on suggestions and low on proven working solutions...

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:34 am

H20nly wrote: yeah its called: The Internet
...hehe thought it was a link

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:40 am

8O wrote:
jamief wrote:So you have been able to create a reliable way of syncing two computers running live wihthout midi leads, tested it and proven it to work ?
best
I've seen this question come up every few months on this forum (and I've asked it myself a few times too). Mac to mac is no problem, but Mac to PC or PC to PC...
...so....you're either saying..
MACs can transfer midi timing better over osc->ethernet ?

or ...
Live runs/syncs better on MACs...

which one? :mrgreen:

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:41 am

if that's true..then I'm sold..

8O

Post by 8O » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:42 am

3dot... wrote:
8O wrote:
best
I've seen this question come up every few months on this forum (and I've asked it myself a few times too). Mac to mac is no problem, but Mac to PC or PC to PC...
...so....you're either saying..
MACs can transfer midi timing better over osc->ethernet ?

or ...
Live runs/syncs better on MACs...

which one? :mrgreen:
:roll: :wink: :lol: I'm saying whichever answer leads to the most peace and harmony...

darkcatt

Post by darkcatt » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:28 pm

H20nly wrote:

Look up:
NetBIOS
TCP/IP
UDP

I was referring to a way to send midi over an IP protocol.
Computer games don't effect kids... If Pacman affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music
http://www.reverbnation.com/blackcatcrossing
http://theblackcatcrossing.com/