m4L idea; mimic machinedrum/electribe parameter locks?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Johnisfaster

m4L idea; mimic machinedrum/electribe parameter locks?

Post by Johnisfaster » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:05 pm

I wonder if anyone is working on something like this? cause I'd kill to have that kind of functionality.

please? please please please?

parameter locks are demonstrated at 4:40 here http://vimeo.com/8056732
Last edited by Johnisfaster on Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Tarekith

Re: m4L idea; mimic machinedrum/electribe parameter locks?

Post by Tarekith » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:12 pm

How would you like to see them as opposed to something like Clip Envelopes?

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:18 pm

Well the idea would be that you could press a parameter record button, twiddle a knob, it records the knob tweak but only sends parameter changes upon each midi note of the sequence. for instance if you have a 4 on the floor kick and you twiddle a knob for a short delay time you won't get a curved adjustment of delay time but rather the delay time would adjust upon each hit of the 4 on the floor. It's basically like a sample/hold function for recorded cc data. This would work beautifully with macro's.

Ever since I played with electribes years ago I've wished you could do this in live.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

m:o

Post by m:o » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:30 pm

one of the main reasons i built a hackintosh some time ago was
to use Logic 9's Ultrabeat for it's parameter lock features.
i ended up with problems - saved some money and bought a machinedrum...

i would love to see such thing built in M4L!

....and yes, clip envelopes do this on a less performance level.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:37 pm

m:o wrote: ....and yes, clip envelopes do this on a less performance level.
Of course clip envelopes work but going that route eliminates the utter fun that can be had twiddling knobs and seeing what you get. That's really one of the only things electribes have to offer but it makes them fun.

m:o

Post by m:o » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:45 pm

Johnisfaster wrote:
m:o wrote: ....and yes, clip envelopes do this on a less performance level.
Of course clip envelopes work but going that route eliminates the utter fun that can be had twiddling knobs and seeing what you get. That's really one of the only things electribes have to offer but it makes them fun.
indeed. that's your point i guess.

M4L starts at those points.
performance oriented interface designs.
i would love to have the money and the time to explore such things atm.
but who am i?! i will explore morocco in 4 days !!! yihaaa, Life instead of Live. lol.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:14 pm

gonna have to bump this till someone decides to make it for me :)

in the meantime I am learning max, but it's slow going.

Shillelagh Law

Post by Shillelagh Law » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:18 pm

Johnisfaster wrote:I am learning max, but it's slow going.
I bet.
Anyone who responds to this message is a stalker. That's the law.

opuswerk

Post by opuswerk » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:46 am

i would love to see that so much it's hard to describe. I actually bought Maschine hoping it'd develop in such a p-lockable sequencer too.
Forthcoming:
[AR02] 1883 EP (wax)
[CSF027] Mamacass EP (wax)

Opusspace
Opuscloud

3phase

Post by 3phase » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:36 am

problem is that people that are into max most likely will miss the point when applying such features.. they tend to leave out all routines related to live playing.. because they are programmers ..and program things rather than play them... they maybe just dont see the advantages in certain designs..

best example is the flood of pretty blind step sequencers you find for reaktor and max that fall far behind a ancient TR 606 stepsequencer design just by the little thing that they not even allow to erase steps in realtime.. not even talking about writig them in realtime..
and so forcing the user to step in the rythm instead of playing it ..what usually goes much faster...

so main focus on the classical drummachine stepsequencer was to edit what youve played in...
while in todays copys you edit in what you want the machine to play...
a totally different aproach that results from the total missunderstanding of the concept.
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:02 am

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:33 pm

Heyyyyyyy very nice work. A little different approach than I was thinking but it seems very affective. I was thinking of knob programming but this is cool.

Now I just gotta try to get it working on my monome 128..

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:51 pm

Johnisfaster wrote: Heyyyyyyy very nice work. A little different approach than I was thinking but it seems very affective. I was thinking of knob programming but this is cool.
Yeah. I was debating whether to bring in some knobs (the APC?), but chose to do it all on the Launchpad. But maybe there'll be some support for knobs or faders in the future.
Johnisfaster wrote:Now I just gotta try to get it working on my monome 128..
The patch is a wee bit messy - with a lot of sub-patches. But if you locate the parts where it receives presses from the Launchpad, I think it should be quite straight forward to make a conversion. And with the 128 you could edit four macros at a time. Or two with twice the resolution. :D

.m

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:55 pm

Lo-Fi Massahkah wrote: Yeah. I was debating whether to bring in some knobs (the APC?), but chose to do it all on the Launchpad. But maybe there'll be some support for knobs or faders in the future.
Johnisfaster wrote:Now I just gotta try to get it working on my monome 128..
The patch is a wee bit messy - with a lot of sub-patches. But if you locate the parts where it receives presses from the Launchpad, I think it should be quite straight forward to make a conversion. And with the 128 you could edit four macros at a time. Or two with twice the resolution. :D

.m
Unfortunately my max skills currently consist of bang and print.. but I'm certain someone at the monome forum would be interested in porting it. And since a monome 128 has more buttons it might even be possible to add a "keyboard" so that you don't have to use an external one.

I actually have an apc40 but I don't plan on using it for things like this, it just lends itself so well for clip launching and mixing that I don't like to tweak it out especially when the monome is sitting there. However I'm certain other people would be interested in an apc version.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:58 pm

I just have to add a shout of excitement here.
"WOOOOOO!"
M4L has had some really exciting developments lately and it's only been out for a lil while. I can't wait for whats to come. I've always detested the fact that Daws force you to work their way, this is starting to come to an end which is god damned beautiful.