m4L idea; mimic machinedrum/electribe parameter locks?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Johnisfaster

Re: m4L idea; mimic machinedrum/electribe parameter locks?

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:30 am

I'm familiar with that way of programming a beat and it can be fun but I think there is also something to be said for the x0x step sequencer method, you often come up with things you wouldn't normally come up with.

If mp3's make things sound better then why couldn't you just convert your stuff to mp3 as an effect?

the MD does have a sound but you're bottling it way too much, add a few cheap effect processors and use the internal sampling engine and there is no reason you can't make the thing sing (which doesn't require a 3k compressor)
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Illum

Post by Illum » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:32 am

I agree to a certain extent. I wouldn't say it sounds like shit, there's a lot you can do with it if you dig into the sound design, but I was more in love with mine conceptually than sonically. Still miss it though.
illumeaudio.com
myspace/illiacsound

3phase

Post by 3phase » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:50 am

Johnisfaster wrote:I'm familiar with that way of programming a beat and it can be fun but I think there is also something to be said for the x0x step sequencer method, you often come up with things you wouldn't normally come up with.

If mp3's make things sound better then why couldn't you just convert your stuff to mp3 as an effect?

the MD does have a sound but you're bottling it way too much, add a few cheap effect processors and use the internal sampling engine and there is no reason you can't make the thing sing (which doesn't require a 3k compressor)
these youtube mp3 certainly dont sound better.. but you dont hear the hardness of the md sound because all the edge gets smeared away...

the md does all it sounds with just 2 dsps... for this it does a lot of sound in a reasonable quality.. but it tends to sound quite hard..
actually its rather the new 707 than the new 909 ;-)
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:58 am

The problem I have with what you're saying though is that you're speaking your opinion as fact. I personally like the sound of the machinedrum. It does have a particular sound to it that I can understand some people not liking but that's cool. But to call it thin or plasticy or harsh sounding just means you weren't able to coax a good sound out of something that has a very capable synthesis engine, which says more about the user than the machine. All I'm saying is that your opinion just plain isn't fact and some people don't need a 3k compressor to sound good.

On the other hand, I typically don't sound good anyway, even if I had a 3k compressor :)
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:19 am

Hey 3phase,

I'm just sharing a patch. A patch that I'm quite proud of. A patch that's inspired by the way the Elektron machines work. I'm not claiming it's a one-stop-solution to all your live and composing situations. OK?

.m

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:03 am

things like this are always an evolution. I'm excited to see whats going to come in the next year or two. I'm certain someone will take this idea and add all sorts of great shit to it.

baltazar

Post by baltazar » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:21 am

Hey Johny & 3phase this is not a topic about MD sound quality. I think that the patch from Lo-Fi looks promissing even if is right now really simple.
Lo-Fi i have few questions about the patch :
- how did you connect akai LPK and Launchpad ? You change the pitch with the akai keyboard ... my idea is if you can change the pitch with the keyboard, can you change the macro parameters with any other midi knob controller ( like nocturn for example ) for more smooth parameter setting ? Then you can "free" more pads to make longer sequence then just 16 steps
- also can it be used for more then 1 track ? If you have a drum rack witch 16 sounds can you control all 16 sound the same way ?

THX

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:32 am

With respect to Johnisfaster's original topic and for clarity, I suggest we move discussion on Inflection to http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=133340

I'll meet you there Baltazar!

.m

3phase

Post by 3phase » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:51 am

Lo-Fi Massahkah wrote:Hey 3phase,

I'm just sharing a patch. A patch that I'm quite proud of. A patch that's inspired by the way the Elektron machines work. I'm not claiming it's a one-stop-solution to all your live and composing situations. OK?

.m

sure.. its nice that you share.. be proud... and your patch is adressing what is asked here..just with limit that it only does one bar yet.. but you might expand on that.who knows... the roland machines

i dont use mfl anyway so its not about my needs.. i just mentioned that all step sequencers people do theese days miss some basic functionality... the functionality of tab input.. what especially speeds things up when you deal with more than one bar and limited display space..
yours sequencer just one in a long line that has abandond theese feature... and naming that flaw might inspire the one or the other patcher to change that. to the benefit of all users.. of MFL in this case
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:02 pm

baltazar wrote:Hey Johny & 3phase this is not a topic about MD sound quality. I think that the patch from Lo-Fi looks promissing even if is right now really simple.
hahahahhahaha! Actually this thread is MY thread and it's about wanting a M4L device to mimic machinedrums parameter locks. And since it's my thread I'm pretty sure it's okay if I take it any direction I want to.

For instance; who likes short shorts?